Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2023, 03:32 PM   #191 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,816 Times in 7,273 Posts
Quote:
So, no Curvature possible for this bus.
Well if you say so.

Were I to create a viewing platform, it would likely be like this teardrop turned around and put on top:

You could have pop-up seats and a canopy in there. What are the dimensions of the 2.8kW array?

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-23-2023, 10:38 AM   #192 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,322 Times in 4,730 Posts
' 40-foot'

I'm interpreting their language to mean that 40-feet is 'before' you add up to 48-inches of 'rigid' energy conserving device, or 60-inches of 'inflated' device.
So, I think you've got options.
Old 10-23-2023, 11:53 AM   #193 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

That may be their interpretation, but my main contention here is their use of their word "approved", and I can't get a response to what exactly does "approved" mean in this context, and do they have a list, etc?
There currently is a certified letter regarding this issue enroute to FLSHMV.
I expect this agency is afraid of interacting with the public that that they are supposed to serve that requires them to take a definitive stand.

I believe years back the dimensions you noted were part of the regulations and reasonable IMO. The current inclusion of "approved" and the deletion of any dimensions is new, and not sure why.
The Following User Says Thank You to j-c-c For This Useful Post:
aerohead (10-23-2023)
Old 10-23-2023, 12:04 PM   #194 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
What are the dimensions of the 2.8kW array?
77"x39" (8x1) = approx 26', likely will be set forward of rear by 6"?, not counting any aero devices. Bus currently has two roof escape hatches. I will retain only the front one in place and why I am limited to 26'.

The roof mounted 12'x8' viewing platform will need to be as high as possible, the front escape hatch will be its access point, the first platform section of say 3', will hinge and cantilever over the front of the bus for viewing use, and hinge back for travel/ storage.
freebeard (10-23-2023)
Old 10-23-2023, 12:10 PM   #195 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,322 Times in 4,730 Posts
'approved'

Quote:
Originally Posted by j-c-c View Post
That may be their interpretation, but my main contention here is their use of their word "approved", and I can't get a response to what exactly does "approved" mean in this context, and do they have a list, etc?
There currently is a certified letter regarding this issue enroute to FLSHMV.
I expect this agency is afraid of interacting with the public that that they are supposed to serve that requires them to take a definitive stand.

I believe years back the dimensions you noted were part of the regulations and reasonable IMO. The current inclusion of "approved" and the deletion of any dimensions is new, and not sure why.
Since October 23, 1973, The Pentagon, and Energy Dept. has had an interest in getting the United States off of foreign oil.
The DOT has green-lighted any technology which might facilitate this end. TRAILER TAIL is one example, plus rigid boat -tails seen on 'The Waggoner's fleet of semi-trailers. BMW's racing division also used the rigid tails on the race car haulers.
I believe that the Federal Regs trump all state law.
Since 1974, I've been pulled over once. I was doing 70 in a 80 zone. The Deputy Sheriff was new on the beat, immediately realized his error, and sheepishly apologized for his mistake.
I don't think you have anything to be concerned about.
Just don't fabricate anything goats can destroy!
Old 10-23-2023, 12:24 PM   #196 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
I believe that the Federal Regs trump all state law.
I suspect you have never been on the side of the road in the middle of nowhere in a truck stopped by the state DOT and subject to possible numerous safety violations and being threatened with an Out of service violation, requiring a tow to move. The issue here is selective enforcement. They can fine you for anything from a nail in a tire, (doesn't need to be leaking) to a "dirty windshield" highly subjective, etc) If they "feel" you are getting smart/uppity with a guy with gun and a badge, you are never going to win the roadside legal argument and get let off.
At the least I like to know I am in the right by doing my homework, and at least a judge will look at my evidence, counter to what a tunnel vision officer is focused on achieving in a safety stop.
Old 10-23-2023, 01:04 PM   #197 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
The roof mounted 12'x8' viewing platform will need to be as high as possible,
Rigid or deployable? Handrails? Seating?

Old 10-23-2023, 01:18 PM   #198 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
Rigid or deployable? Handrails? Seating?
Hinged and fixed, erectable/hinged handrails, Cantilever umbrella awning, seating TBD.
A viewing issue, is to slightly hang over the track fence with the hinge platform, allowing a better view down track assuming there is an adjacent parked similar sized RV who does not also overhang the fence.
freebeard (10-23-2023)
Old 10-23-2023, 02:07 PM   #199 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Sounds exactly like what I posted at #191.

I hope you can use the awning design. It's lifted from Brass Era/Model T touring tops.

All I'm saying is a full-width blister as at #187 would accommodate all that structure and be beneficial aerodynamically.

What do your rear-view mirrors look like?

edit:
Note: The panel hinge line is above the valance height so that the weight bears on it.

Last edited by freebeard; 10-23-2023 at 02:25 PM..
Old 10-23-2023, 02:20 PM   #200 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Mirrors are way down on my list. I expect to eventually augment my downsized mirrors with a robust 3? camera (left/Rear/right) video system, once i get a feel for any blind spot/backing issues, and an installed and upgraded air ride driver's seat, which is the starting point for all mirror/sightline solutions.

My awning system will be for shade and drizzle only, way too strong of storms in Florida to try and accommodate, especially at that height and risk to others, ie min frontal area.

freebeard (10-23-2023)
Reply  Post New Thread

Tags
cda list