Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

View Poll Results: Should the speed limit be lowered to save fuel?
Yes, speed limit should be lowered nationally. 36 43.37%
No, the public would be unhappy. 47 56.63%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2008, 04:56 PM   #121 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Project: Accord - '97 Honda Accord EX
90 day: 40.1 mpg (US)
Hey thanks for noticing my efforts Cobra (although I'm not sure what number that is)! Bravo! I guess it's certainly a good thing that I'm concious of that fact and posted it on EM for help in increasing my MPG. It could be worse for you though, I could be driving my Ford or YOU could be paying for me to live where I work....

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-10-2008, 08:54 PM   #122 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

the Mule - '99 Dodge Dakota
90 day: 14.54 mpg (US)
Speed limits are a safety issue and not a fuel consumption issue. I use to drive a taxi for a living and we had to take "safety driving" classes every two years. The stat they used was that for every mph over 55 you are going the odds of your crash being a fatal one are doubled. So if you have a 1% chance of a fatal accident at 55, and 56 it'd be 2%, at 57 it'd be 4% etc.

I don't think that the legislation was ever proposed as an economical issue. I doubt that it'd really work as a selling point either.

And to the OP if you really want the stats I'd recommend talking with an insurance company about that type of info. Ask for an agent that specializes in fleet policies, they were the ones that made us take the defensive driving classes and supplied us with all the information. Might also wanna chat with groups like AAA and your states DMV. They'd have plenty of info too.

If we can't be free, at least we can be cheap"--- Again F. Zappa

My guilty little pleasure
Reply  Post New Thread