Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2014, 02:44 PM   #11 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 52.48 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,959 Times in 3,603 Posts
Yes, generally with down-sized ICEs, which is why they still get better mileage on the highway than equivalent non-hybrids, all else being equal.

Though I don't know if the same is true with this particular truck (the downsized engine part).

Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:
CFECO (03-19-2014)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-19-2014, 04:00 PM   #12 (permalink)
Lots of Questions

Motor-Rolla - '01 Toyota Corolla LE
Team Toyota
90 day: 28.3 mpg (US)

Gaia - '99 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Highlander
90 day: 19.78 mpg (US)

Gaia - Round 2 - '99 Toyota 4runner SR5 Highlander
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Some good options mentioned already. I would do an aerocap. You could make it with struts on each corner so during normal operation it has the boat tail effect, but if you need to haul you can raise it to a normal camper shell height.

I would also look at a belly pan. I think for trucks,especially if you haul, belly pans are better than air dams (I'm not advocating against air dams - do both. ). Depending on how the underside looks, you might be able to slope the pan upwards toward the back for that tapered effect. You can also transfer that into a rear diffuser.

This is just a half joke, take it with a grain of salt. You could put a turbo, so in v4 mode it will have more power and stay out of v8 mode. Don't know if it would use less gas than v8 n/a mode, but it's something you might want to look into. Don't take anybody's advice here on the forum regarding this though (including me), go to a tune shop so it's done right, if at all.

Best EM Quotes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
It has been said, that if you peel the duct tape back on Earth's equator, you'll find that the two hemispheres are held together with J B Weld.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan9 View Post
subscribed with a soda.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
If you're burning,and someone throws gasoline on you,there will be a localized cooling effect, but you're still on fire.
Old 03-19-2014, 04:27 PM   #13 (permalink)
CFECO

X-Car - '11 Homemade 2+2

Velbly1 - '17 Toyota Camery XSE
90 day: 29 mpg (US)

Velbly2 - '13 Toyota Tundra
90 day: 18.03 mpg (US)
Which four do you put the turbo on? LOL! If it is a 6.0 it probably had excess power. Our new 2013 Tundra with a 5.7 pulls some pretty steep hills without downshifting, I was supprised.
Old 03-25-2014, 09:46 PM   #14 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,625 Times in 1,450 Posts
I also considered kinda odd that GM went with the V8 instead of a V6 in the hybrid layout. Well, the electric motor would be supposed to overcome the lower power either in highway or higher load conditions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff88 View Post
This is just a half joke, take it with a grain of salt. You could put a turbo, so in v4 mode it will have more power and stay out of v8 mode. Don't know if it would use less gas than v8 n/a mode, but it's something you might want to look into.
Turbocharging an engine with Atkinson-effect cams, like it's usual in hybrids, is harder due to some backpressure at the intake manifold, but a supercharger may be useful. Until mid-50s it was not unusual to use superchargers in industrial and marine engines which got a longer intake valve timing, as a measure to overcome the lower dynamic compression issue.
Old 03-25-2014, 11:32 PM   #15 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

What mileage are you getting? I am in the market for a light truck and looking at the Dodge diesel and maybe the ford f150 next year with the 2.7 ecoboost
Old 03-26-2014, 01:42 AM   #16 (permalink)
CFECO

X-Car - '11 Homemade 2+2

Velbly1 - '17 Toyota Camery XSE
90 day: 29 mpg (US)

Velbly2 - '13 Toyota Tundra
90 day: 18.03 mpg (US)
The GM 5.3 is a great engine from what my friends have said, so was the 4.3 V-6 with a turbo was the in the quickest car built in north America at one time. Why GM did not continue the turbo, especially since they had the MOST experience with it, from the Sixties, may mean something. Our Tundra, with a 5.7 NA, is ALL we could have asked for, and it's Toyota Quality, which used to hurt me to say, and built in San Antonio Texas, but Obama did not bail it out....sorry! Id buy a KEI truck if the Feds would really let me.
Old 03-26-2014, 04:08 PM   #17 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I have a 2011 GMC Sierra crew cab with a 4.8 Litre and I get about 14 - 15 mpg city and 18 - 19 Hwy...if I'm lucky. I have been researching about belly pans, dams and grill covers. Anyone have any suggestions or know how this would be any benefit?

Thanks,
Rob
Old 03-27-2014, 01:11 AM   #18 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFECO View Post
The GM 5.3 is a great engine from what my friends have said, so was the 4.3 V-6 with a turbo was the in the quickest car built in north America at one time. Why GM did not continue the turbo, especially since they had the MOST experience with it, from the Sixties, may mean something.
It's really kinda odd that GM didn't try so much to make the turbocharging more mainstream when it had a chance. Nowadays with more advanced engine management systems, it's easier to overcome the turbo-lag, so even Mercedes-Benz is getting rid of the Kompressor in favor of the turbo...

Quote:
Id buy a KEI truck if the Feds would really let me.
Kei trucks are nice too, and in spite of their tiny size they're pretty capable. Well, their size make them a nice base for a trail rig because they have a great maneuverability even in tight spaces...
The Following User Says Thank You to cRiPpLe_rOoStEr For This Useful Post:
CFECO (03-27-2014)
Old 03-27-2014, 07:05 AM   #19 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

If you think about it, the engine downsizing occurs any time the DoD/AFM is active and the engine is operating on 4 cylinders i.e. as a 3.0l. The extra engine displacement available when operating on all 8 is in lieu of electric motor assist or supercharging.

I'm pretty sure, without reviewing the details of this system, that it is a mild hybrid, with the fuel saving (from the hybrid part) occurring with engine stop/start and KE recovery. The electric motor/generator doesn't contribute to moving the vehicle, just starting the engine and using recovered KE to run the engine accessories - such as the power steering pump - and power electrical loads with the engine off.

A USP was the ability to use the vehicle, idling, as an electrical generator in remote locations. There will be 110V power outlets in the cab and truck bed.

Aren't they pretty rare vehicles? I have recall of there only being a few thousand sold. If so, it would be nice to see a few preserved as an interesting part of auto history.

Last edited by Occasionally6; 03-27-2014 at 08:03 AM..
Old 03-27-2014, 05:01 PM   #20 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Occasionally6 View Post
I'm pretty sure, without reviewing the details of this system, that it is a mild hybrid, with the fuel saving (from the hybrid part) occurring with engine stop/start and KE recovery. The electric motor/generator doesn't contribute to moving the vehicle, just starting the engine and using recovered KE to run the engine accessories - such as the power steering pump - and power electrical loads with the engine off.
The earliest Silverado Hybrid, from the GMT800 generation, was a mild-hybrid, but this one is a GMT900 and a full-hybrid. Almost a Prius on steroids

Reply  Post New Thread