Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2011, 11:32 PM   #41 (permalink)
Pishtaco

Mean Green Toaster Machine - '06 Scion xB
Team Toyota
90 day: 48.92 mpg (US)
65 mph v. 50 mph requires double the horsepower, and extracts a ~5-12 mpg penalty in addition.

Boycotting Exxon since 1989, BP since 2010
Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac? George Carlin
Mean Green Toaster Machine
49.5 mpg avg over 53,000 miles. 176% of '08 EPA
Best flat drive 94.5 mpg for 10.1 mi
Longest tank 1033 km (642 mi) on 10.56 gal = 60.8 mpg
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-08-2011, 11:37 PM   #42 (permalink)
n00b.... sortof..

silver fire - '03 Mazda Protege5
90 day: 32.52 mpg (US)
its the posted speed limit.
that is the one thing I wont do is drive under the spd limit around here, as mentioned before, Im surrounded by either rednecks with guns, or gangsta's... with guns.
we have already had 2 incidents since moving here.
one I mentioned in the tailgating thread
the other was just a random event with no provocation on my part, I suspect someone drunk and playing games.

in any event, Im not taking any chances and will do as little as possible to intimidate someone else on the road, especially since 95% of the time i have my 5 yr old son with me.

Sven, I had the upper blocked and it overheated my car, so unless its winter time, that is staying open
I dont PnG much except on downslopes.
Im guessing your probe is the 4 cyl ?
you should know it has slightly taller gearing than my protege5. not enough to warrant a trans swap vs the cost though.
plus, it weighs less, being a 2 dr liftback vs a 5 dr hatch.
no, seats need to stay for my son

the trans swap is the ONLY thing that is going to net me any noticeable gains. my RPM at 65mph is 3k, at 70mph (our freeway speeds) its 3.4k with a trans swap from a 626LS will bring those numbers down to roughly 2.6k @ 70mph.
again, as mentioned, the one thing I will not do is drive under the spd limit and risk intimidating someone with a gun, it simply isnt going to happen.

Old 09-09-2011, 09:23 AM   #43 (permalink)
The PRC.

You may find 2.6K at 70 will be too high for the 2.0 (is this your engine) to pull effectively, thats not too far (2.3K) than my previous TDI pulled in 6th - and that had 250+lb/ft @ 2200

You could probably push the tyres to 45 and try that, and then ease back if the ride is too firm. I went to 45 in the Fabia with it's rubber band tyres and it was too hard, down to 42 was OK. In the Aygo 45 is fine with the taller and narrower tyres, 50 is too hard. Seems to be OK for dry and wet weather, no ice or snow here yet - I expect it in a few weeks though...
Old 09-09-2011, 09:50 AM   #44 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The SCUD - '15 Fiat Scudo L2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arragonis View Post
In the Aygo 45 is fine with the taller and narrower tyres, 50 is too hard. Seems to be OK for dry and wet weather, no ice or snow here yet - I expect it in a few weeks though...
I'm running my winter tyres at the same pressure as the summer tyres.

Old 09-09-2011, 12:00 PM   #45 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Boo Radley - '65 Ford F100
90 day: 13.28 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by d0sitmatr View Post
its the posted speed limit.
that is the one thing I wont do is drive under the spd limit around here, as mentioned before, Im surrounded by either rednecks with guns, or gangsta's... with guns.
we have already had 2 incidents since moving here.
one I mentioned in the tailgating thread
the other was just a random event with no provocation on my part, I suspect someone drunk and playing games.

in any event, Im not taking any chances and will do as little as possible to intimidate someone else on the road, especially since 95% of the time i have my 5 yr old son with me.

Sven, I had the upper blocked and it overheated my car, so unless its winter time, that is staying open
I dont PnG much except on downslopes.
Im guessing your probe is the 4 cyl ?
you should know it has slightly taller gearing than my protege5. not enough to warrant a trans swap vs the cost though.
plus, it weighs less, being a 2 dr liftback vs a 5 dr hatch.
no, seats need to stay for my son

the trans swap is the ONLY thing that is going to net me any noticeable gains. my RPM at 65mph is 3k, at 70mph (our freeway speeds) its 3.4k with a trans swap from a 626LS will bring those numbers down to roughly 2.6k @ 70mph.
again, as mentioned, the one thing I will not do is drive under the spd limit and risk intimidating someone with a gun, it simply isnt going to happen.
OK, Florida must be more gangster than Detroit now Probably nothing you can do though if you've been harrassed already. That sucks.

I'd really start P&G'ing and coasting more. Every time you come up to a stoplight. Instead of coasting in gear, pop it out and turn it off. When you get down to like 20mph, bump start it. You'll save that quarter mile of gas coasting down and it's no skin off anyone's back.

Yes, I've got a 4cyl 2.2L 5spd and yes it's probably lighter than your wagon. But I think in principle you should be able to touch 35, seeing that your engine is 200cc smaller

As far as the grille blocks, did you remove the top or bottom one? It's been said in other threads (Scion xA I believe) that the top one is the better one to keep on. I'm just trying to help out a little in the suggestion area!
Old 09-10-2011, 01:29 PM   #46 (permalink)
n00b.... sortof..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arragonis View Post
You may find 2.6K at 70 will be too high for the 2.0 (is this your engine) to pull effectively, thats not too far (2.3K) than my previous TDI pulled in 6th - and that had 250+lb/ft @ 2200
the HP for my car vs the 626LS is pretty close, so I dont think I will have any issues. plus, there are some people already running that trans in their FS-DE engines

like I said, the only downside from the trans swap is slower acceleration, which for me isnt much of a downside at all, I have a MX6 LS for going fast.

@ Sven
I tried it both ways, and with the upper blocked off, regardless if I had the lower one blocked off, it would run hot. but not so hot as to keep me from using both upper and lower when temps drop some.
I coast a lot as it is, and can usually time my lights well enough where the lowest gear I need to be in is 2nd, but most of the time its 4th/5th. Im not real comfortable bumpstarting an FWD car as Ive read numerous times over the yrs how damaging it is. but I do EOC into my condo complex, usually from the hwy, only comes out to be about 300+' all said and done, but since I do it every time I come home, it adds up.

Old 09-10-2011, 01:39 PM   #47 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Chief - '06 Pontiac Grand Prix
90 day: 26.7 mpg (US)

SF1 - '12 Ford Fiesta S
90 day: 30.95 mpg (US)
Do you have one of the transmission that 5th gear can be easily swapped. Might be an alternative if you do frequent highway driving.
Old 09-10-2011, 04:28 PM   #48 (permalink)
n00b.... sortof..

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemo View Post
Do you have one of the transmission that 5th gear can be easily swapped. Might be an alternative if you do frequent highway driving.
I thought of that, and it might be the way I go with it. depends on how much I pay for the trans vs just the gears.

Old 09-11-2011, 02:42 PM   #49 (permalink)
Pishtaco

Mean Green Toaster Machine - '06 Scion xB
Team Toyota
90 day: 48.92 mpg (US)
The PSL is the maximum limit. I hate to see people whining about poor fuel economy when they aren't willing to try harder. Anyone read about any gangsta or redneck attacks on hypermilers in SFL lately?

Boycotting Exxon since 1989, BP since 2010
Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac? George Carlin
Mean Green Toaster Machine
49.5 mpg avg over 53,000 miles. 176% of '08 EPA
Best flat drive 94.5 mpg for 10.1 mi
Longest tank 1033 km (642 mi) on 10.56 gal = 60.8 mpg

Last edited by SentraSE-R; 09-11-2011 at 02:50 PM..
Old 09-11-2011, 08:44 PM   #50 (permalink)
n00b.... sortof..

well, how about you just place me on ignore (as I am going to do to you), that way, you dont have to worry about reading my whining, and I dont have to deal with your piss poor attempt at being cool.
sound good pumpkin ?

now, for those interested:
less than a mile from me is considered one of the top 5 most segregated areas in the state of FL. you cannot even drive through there if your not someone of color, plus, the police wont respond, even when there are gunshots. (of which I hear at least 3 time a week, and have yet to see a police response in the 4 yrs Ive lived here)
as for rednecks carrying guns... no need for a comment on that what so ever.

now, mix that up and place in a small area, say, less than 20 miles squared....

Reply  Post New Thread