Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2010, 01:50 AM   #11 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Domman56 View Post
Oh definately but it did at least have a fan on both Before and After runs
So they were in the same testing environment

Yeah i know sound does alot for performance for most young people haha. get your kid a loud muffler and an intake and they should get a bit less speeding tickets cause they THINK they're going fast haha
No, those things will make them get more tickets because they think they're able to go fast.

Trust me, I won more than my share of money from 17 year olds with mom's check book and no idea how to really tune a car. It's not even racing if you do what I used to do. It's slaughter.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-06-2010, 07:23 AM   #12 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Guzzler - '08 Hyundai Elantra GL
90 day: 33.12 mpg (US)

Got Soul? - '11 Kia Soul 2U
The aspiration sound makes it go faster too.

It's commonly called an SRI, but unless you have a shield on the engine side and an opening for a source of fresh air, it's only just a WAI.

www.HyperKilometreur.com - Quand chaque goutte compte...
Old 01-06-2010, 12:08 PM   #13 (permalink)

Either way, it's a common FAI... L.

Old 01-07-2010, 02:30 AM   #14 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Tank - '76 Chevy El Camino Classic
90 day: 25.89 mpg (US)

Sabrina - '91 Mercedes Benz 190 E
90 day: 37.07 mpg (US)

Angel - '88 Mercedes-Benz 420SEL
Last 3: 23.01 mpg (US)

Quicksilver - '04 Mercedes-Benz CLK55 AMG Cabrio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christ View Post
Either way, it's a common FAI... L.
How so? i thought warm air intakes were good for fuel economy?

Tank:
(No actual EPA numbers for car just used F/E numbers when i first got it)
Old 01-07-2010, 02:34 AM   #15 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
No, those things will make them get more tickets because they think they're able to go fast.

Trust me, I won more than my share of money from 17 year olds with mom's check book and no idea how to really tune a car. It's not even racing if you do what I used to do. It's slaughter.
Haha worked opposite for me when i had my straight pipes on my el camino i rarely drove ocer 50 or 60 cause that was the quiet point of the exhaust

Now that i have my stock muffler back on i rarely recognize it if i'm cruising at 70 or so

Tank:
Old 01-07-2010, 10:39 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domman56 View Post
How so? i thought warm air intakes were good for fuel economy?
Gimme a break, man... the guy didn't install that filter for economy, he installed it because he thought it would get him somewhere in the HP department. Of course, real tuners and anyone that knows how engines work know that he's now starving his engine at higher RPMs, under heavy loading, because the air gets so hot it has the same mass as the colder air at lower RPMs.

The difference is that on his vehicle, there probably is no air mass measurement, it's based on a MAP sensor, which means he's getting stupid rich mixtures at high RPM/load curves, further polluting the country.

I seriously doubt if he's getting any better fuel economy, either. Butt-dyno, my friend. That's all it is. And that's a ricer mod, done by someone less concerned with fuel economy than Clinton was with the state of affairs outside his little circle (oval?)...

Old 01-07-2010, 11:21 AM   #17 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Gimme a break, man... the guy didn't install that filter for economy, he installed it because he thought it would get him somewhere in the HP department. Of course, real tuners and anyone that knows how engines work know that he's now starving his engine at higher RPMs, under heavy loading, because the air gets so hot it has the same mass as the colder air at lower RPMs.

The difference is that on his vehicle, there probably is no air mass measurement, it's based on a MAP sensor, which means he's getting stupid rich mixtures at high RPM/load curves, further polluting the country.

I seriously doubt if he's getting any better fuel economy, either. Butt-dyno, my friend. That's all it is. And that's a ricer mod, done by someone less concerned with fuel economy than Clinton was with the state of affairs outside his little circle (oval?)...
haha i would agree with you. and i do on all the info but i've riden with him lol and he can't afford to drive the car like that it actually was done for fuel economy because he's a broke college student

With the MAP it will compensate the extra airflow by adding fuel right? that's why it pollutes more?

Tank:
Old 01-07-2010, 11:22 AM   #18 (permalink)

MAP compensates for manifold pressure by adding fuel. It doesn't care about flow.

MAP systems assume a basic map of manifold pressure versus known VE under OE circumstances, and add fuel based on that. It will run pig-rich because he's stuffing hot air in the engine under high RPM situations, to the extent that the O2 can't recalibrate the mixture enough to compensate. If he does it long enough, the cat's toast. Raw fuel in a catalytic converter is a good way to have a car fire, by the way. I've had it happen.

The Following User Says Thank You to Christ For This Useful Post:
Domman56 (01-07-2010)
Old 04-26-2013, 10:55 AM   #19 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Puddle Jumper - '96 pontiac bonneville se
90 day: 26.02 mpg (US)
what about the other problem with warm air or hot air? Pre-detonation, the goal is to save fuel and money not by buying 93 octane to avoid engine damage, the coldest air possible is the way to go. i will backup my claim by talking about water-alcohol injection, It cools the air charge and adds a high octane fuel, I'm working on a cost effective way of building kit now.
Old 04-26-2013, 02:47 PM   #20 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
EDIT: I just realized this thread is years old and was suddenly revived today by ecoinsane. Would still enjoy discussing.

Quote:
MAP compensates for manifold pressure by adding fuel. It doesn't care about flow.

MAP systems assume a basic map of manifold pressure versus known VE under OE circumstances, and add fuel based on that. It will run pig-rich because he's stuffing hot air in the engine under high RPM situations, to the extent that the O2 can't recalibrate the mixture enough to compensate. If he does it long enough, the cat's toast. Raw fuel in a catalytic converter is a good way to have a car fire, by the way. I've had it happen.
Hi Christ. Have not exchanged ideas with you in a long time and these comments are interesting. I have been running a WAI on my 1998 Civic for about two years. I passed CA emissions last August after about 15 months running the WAI at a rate of 12,000 miles per year. The tech said that there was a little unburnt fuel in the cat, but nothing to worry about. I actually see richer AFRs on my Ultra Gauge when the IAT is colder, leaner when the AFR is hotter. I just had that experience yesterday and today, on my commute, climbing a steady hill at 1800rpms for about 1.5 miles, 40 mph or so, 75-80% load. I have had nothing even suggesting fire. So I wonder if you're overstating the danger a little. What do you think? Maybe my driving conditions and set up are different than you are talking about, different in ways that matter?

And I did this test, which I'm sure is not perfect, but I wonder if you'd even think it is good and why not: http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...tml#post233571

As you see, I thought I saw a modest but measurable improvement with the WAI of about 2%. A source of error I have become aware of might be that--not having cruise control--I held a steady throttle position of 16.1% using the Ultra Gauge.

I'm open to correction and debate. Interested in learning.

-james

See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Last edited by California98Civic; 04-26-2013 at 09:44 PM..
Reply  Post New Thread