Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2019, 02:45 PM   #41 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,393 Times in 3,366 Posts
Ah, those ages explain *most everything.

18 isn't too young for 22; both are immature generally.

... and in hindsight, it's better to handle the steering, pushing, and bumpstarting yourself. Don't involve the lady in the situation she had no responsibility for. I know I've told the story of spending a total of 5 hours digging my Subaru out of the snow with bare hands and jeans while girls sipped hot chocolate and listened to music in the warm car. The only thing more shameful than putting them in that situation would be subjecting them to misery due to my mistake(s). They look back fondly of that failed trip, fortunately.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 12-30-2019, 03:58 PM   #42 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 30.54 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
I lay awake at night hoping that a woman that I met in 2002 is happy. I once tried to take her hiking, thinking it had been long enough since it rained, but I got that Accord stuck. We had a hilarious time trying to get my car out and once again a random stranger came to my rescue.

Everything was fun with her. I have not met anyone else like that.
Old 12-30-2019, 04:26 PM   #43 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

A girl from highschool reminds me of that description, someone that was always excited to adventure with me, and the kindest, most beautiful girl. Figured she was out of my league at the time, before I knew that those are sometimes self-imposed concepts. Doesn't matter as she was Mormon. Younger women are more tolerant of foolish behavior, so it's difficult to tell which is due to personality, and which is due to youth.

My wife takes my shenanigans pretty well though.

I ran into my first GF a couple months ago, which was quite unexpected in my town of 10k, especially when the last thing I heard was she was living in Alaska. Figured I'd never see or hear from her again considering the last words I had with her was that I loved her and always would, but that I wouldn't see or talk to her again... we talked for 20min and she seems to be doing great, which makes me happy.

Old 12-31-2019, 07:16 PM   #44 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,594 Times in 7,077 Posts
I had a [very] few dates when I was in my twenties. I see people are out there doing things I don't do, to wit:

Just A Car Guy: there's stuck, but with a little time and effort, will be winched out and on the road in hours, and then... there's the moron that goes way too damn far out onto a lakebed, in the mud, and takes weeks to get out - somehow

Quote:
The recovery and extraction was a team effort with members of the Nor-Cal 4x4 group, the NC4XR group, and 775 Offroad & Recovery. Shout out to Joseph Pickett, Jeffrey Hannah, Anthony Vargas, Layne Pauly, Chris Gorby, and all the other people who coordinated efforts and drove for miles to dig in the freezing mud and help a complete stranger.
As for getting some laughs from this dilemma?

A jeep drove out there and picked him up. Didn't get stuck.

The dumb ass who got stuck, is a soil geologist subsurface engineer..

A go fund me was started by one of the guys involved in helping to pull this out (over the course of a week, is a lot of gas for all volunteers, snack food, plywood, etc etc) but his ***** of an ex girlfriend started the rumor that he was going to use the money to pay child support. That effectively killed that fund raiser, what a Cee U Next Tuesday
In other news: My 1958 Baja Bug is now in the carport instead of 20 miles upriver in a barn. It took 2 F-150s and a tilt bed trailer.

Y'all have a Happy New Decade.

The Following User Says Thank You to freebeard For This Useful Post:
redpoint5 (12-31-2019)
Old 12-31-2019, 07:48 PM   #45 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

I'll have to remember the 2x4 method of improving traction.

Got the Alice Chalmers One Ninety stuck in the mud once, and I thought that was a B.

Extra traction doesn't help though when you've buried your axle.

Old 12-31-2019, 07:55 PM   #46 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Speaking of dating high school girls, I was at the coast with my 1952 (cream over light blue) Fairlane hardtop. (The one with the chopped front coils for that we-don't-need-no-bump-stops feeling).

I parked in a ditch up against a bank, and when we got back the inside rear tire was flat.

As it happened I had two bumper jacks, and I used one under the bumper and the other against the bank.

Old 12-31-2019, 09:21 PM   #47 (permalink)
Not Doug

I often had two dates the same weekend in my twenties. They always thanked me, said they had a good time, and they would see me soon.

Almost none of them ever spoke to me again.

I am somewhat of a formal guy. I honestly do not know the names of parents of clients that I have seen for six months or a year because I always call them "Sir" or "Ma'am." Back when I had friends they insisted that I hadn't gotten married because I made the girls think that I didn't like them by shaking their hands. When I finally decided to stop shaking hands at the end of a date, I took a beautiful nineteen-year-old to the symphony. I walked her to her door, and she shook my hand.
Old 12-31-2019, 10:26 PM   #48 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Best thing in an awkward situation like that is if you can bend over and pet a puppy or kitten. It worked for me on my first date (white over green 1957 Ford 2-door station wagon).

Old 01-01-2020, 01:36 AM   #49 (permalink)
Not Doug

She must have liked my red 1987 Honda Prelude Si because she kept talking to me. Unfortunately, she married someone else--and continued talking to me for a while.

She was the one that I tried to take hiking, but got my 1990 Accord stuck.

So, there I was, staying overnight at a random Forward Operating Base in Afghanistan and I received an e-mail from a girl that I dated a few years earlier. Her family hated me, but she said that it was because if she married me they couldn't control her anymore, and because I wanted her to make her own decisions.

Somehow this other guy worked his way in. I guess that she was accustomed to people bossing her around, so he fit perfectly.

Excuse me if we are in TMI territory, but as much as I thoroughly enjoy kissing, that isn't why I kiss women. I kiss them because they are important to me and I want to show it, but usually they kiss me first or let me know they are tired of waiting.

I dated this girl on and off for a year and nine months. It never felt right to kiss her or ask her to marry me, but I did make it clear that I loved her and wanted to marry her. I was just trying to figure out what we were supposed to do, not just what I wanted.

My wisdom teeth did not come in until I was twenty-four or so. I had difficulty getting Friday afternoon off so that I could have them removed, but I did not care about them. I needed four root canals [and four crowns]! If the wisdom teeth weren't causing my immediate problems then I wanted to take care of the root canals (and crowns) first.

I paid $1,296 for the wisdom teeth extractions and about $500 each for four root canals and I think two crowns.

My credit card was maxed out and the benefits lady tricked me out of getting coverage.

The dentist gave me a big filling, which was redone a couple of times before I could afford crowns.

My sister was fired for being pregnant. I understand, she is even more unbearable than normal when she is pregnant! Mom thought she was the perfect person to take care of me after having my wisdom teeth removed, but she did not account for my sister being pregnant--and mean.

So, she drove me to her apartment, had me put a sheet on her couch, and had me lie down and watch television. She kept giving me ziplock bags of ice, but one had a leak, and she yelled at me because it got the sheet wet. She ordered me to hang it on her balcony to dry. So, I opened the door, took a step, and started laying out the sheet, but she yelled at me to close the door, so I let go of the sheet, turned around, closed the door, turned back around, finished laying out the sheet, conducted an about-face, opened the door, and walked in.

It really seemed like turning around and closing and opening the door took longer than laying out the sheet.

So, there I am, not running on all cylinders, and my sister is yelling at me for stupid reasons.

I told her that I was leaving.

"Fine!"

"You're a bad sister. I am in no shape to drive!"

Good thing I brought stale bread to feed the fish and ducks in her pond!

They completely ignored the bread, so I drove home, and somehow made it safely. However, I thought the pond would be a great place to take that girl, so I came back with her. I just remember sitting at a picnic table with her and talking. For some reason I laid down on the bench and kept talking.

She laid down on the table and kept talking.

So this wonderfully beautiful girl that I loved intensely was inches from my face and I realized that it was the perfect opportunity to kiss her--except I did not need to.

Somehow I was happier knowing that I didn't need to kiss her. She was happy to just be with me.

Years later I realized that as important as it was for me that she made her own decisions I never allowed her to make that one. The other guy kissed her early and she married him.

He moved her to Maricopa, about an hour from anywhere, away from her family, away from me, and memories of me. They had a kid and she was home all day alone with the baby and her own thoughts. Things were not going well when she reached out to me. I kept asking what she liked most about him, what she enjoyed most while they were dating, etc. It always came back to what she liked most about me and when we were dating.

She liked that I am 6'2" and a base. He is 5'7" and a tenor. He also sings in a foreign language at Church.

I always tried to come up with things that she would enjoy and we made our plans together.

He invited her over, showed her some pre-selected DVDs, and asked her which movie she wanted to watch first. She was able to choose the movie, but he already selected it.

We went hiking. We made dinner together. We just went for a drive. We stared at the stars and talked.

In Season 3, Episode 7 of "Monk," Adrian ran into his old partner, portrayed by Enrico Colantoni, who had been kicked off the force, and everyone was convinced that Colantoni was dirty. Monk figured out that Colantoni was framed and got him reinstated.

We didn't see him again.

Anyway, Colantoni said that before Trudy was killed, Adrian laughed all of the time.

Monk hardly laughed in eight seasons.

When I spent time with that girl, we laughed until our faces hurt.

I almost never laugh anymore. It is almost like I have Adrian Monk's personality--just not the blessings, only the curse.

Maybe she never believed that I loved her. Maybe she convinced herself that I didn't. Her family convinced her to sever contact three times. I think that her husband convinced her to sever contact three times. The first five times she resumed contact, but I have not heard from her since I came home from Germany in 2012, which certainly seems healthy.

She had just reached out to me when she started dating her future husband. Apparently she constantly told him about me.

Who the heck dates someone that constantly talks about someone else?

She had always wanted a certain type of wedding dress and ring. When she couldn't find the dress that she wanted he told her that if she didn't hurry up and find something, he would choose a dress and wear it himself.

If I ever mastered time and space, I would want to go back to that exact moment and tell him "Do it," then turn to her and say "Hello beautiful." However, it would make far more sense to go back to the last time that I saw her before she got married.

She had not talked to me in a year and her cousin transferred from one community college to another. The cousin never went anywhere without the girl that I dated--and she always had the girl that I dated do things for her. The cousin would call her during class and have her fetch things like textbooks and sodas. The girl needed to answer the phone during class, harken, and obey.

This was before vibrating phones were common. On one of our first dates, I drove her to Best Buy, bought a vibrating battery, and installed it on her phone, so at least her phone wouldn't ring when she disturbed her class.

Anyway, when she resumed contact, she called me from a payphone at that community college. I do not know if I saw the call, just that I missed one from a strange local number. Two nights later she called from a different payphone, but this time she left a message, just "Hey there," barely audible, but I knew her voice!

I must have listened to it dozens of times. I absolutely knew that it was her, but she had told me that she never wanted to hear from me again. I finally called that second number and some girl walking by said "This is a payphone at Scottsdale Community College."

So I called her cell phone and she asked "What are you doing?! My family tracks my phone calls!"

We exchanged a few e-mails, but she always held back. I wanted to marry her, but I just wanted my friend back--ideally to marry, but I just wanted my friend.

I missed her horribly.

She mentioned that she was a Sunday School teacher and asked "Can I duct-tape my boys to their chairs?"

I knew when and where she met, so after the first meeting, I walked in one door, passed her in the hall, and told her "Hey there." She said "Hey there" as I continued walking, left through the other door, and drove home.

Well, I finally saw her, and she was as beautiful as ever.

The thing is, when she realized that it was me, she had someone watch her kids, and she came after me, but she was too late.

So, if I mastered time and space, I would come back to that point, lean against my Prelude, and wait for the woman of my dreams to walk out that door. Then I would say "Hey beautiful, I miss your hugs."

The 5'7" tenor wouldn't have stood a chance.

By the way, her engagement ring had a diamond from his first engagement. After my ten-day engagement I sold the ring and had someone recommended holding onto the diamond for the future, I never would have considered it.

I hope that she is happy.
Old 01-01-2020, 03:31 AM   #50 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I know you put a lot into that, but I can't get Summarize Text to work and it's 1681 words.

Maybe in the morning. And maybe this will help, iLOL'd all the way through: We Didn't Start the Flame War

Reply  Post New Thread