Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > DIY / How-to
Register Now
 Register Now
 

Reply  Post New Thread
 
Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2014, 11:47 PM   #21 (permalink)
Not Doug
 
Xist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Show Low, AZ
Posts: 9,991

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 32.86 mpg (US)
Thanks: 6,668
Thanked 1,908 Times in 1,450 Posts
Twice in recorded history, Phoenix has had below-freezing temperatures for fourteen days straight--about a hundred years ago. The longest period of twenty-eight degrees or more was six days, eight years before I was born.

How much antifreeze do I need?

  Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

   
Old 09-14-2014, 09:11 AM   #22 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
oldtamiyaphile's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Australia
Posts: 1,480

UFI - '12 Fiat 500 Twinair
Team Turbocharged!
90 day: 40.3 mpg (US)

Jeep - '05 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
90 day: 18.09 mpg (US)

R32 - '89 Nissan Skyline

STiG - '16 Renault Trafic 140dCi Energy
90 day: 31.12 mpg (US)

Prius - '05 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 50.25 mpg (US)

Premodded - '49 Ford Freighter
90 day: 13.48 mpg (US)

F-117 - '10 Proton Arena GLSi
Pickups
Mitsubishi
90 day: 37.82 mpg (US)

Ralica - '85 Toyota Celica ST
90 day: 25.23 mpg (US)

Sx4 - '07 Suzuki Sx4
90 day: 31.72 mpg (US)
Thanks: 320
Thanked 437 Times in 310 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post
How much antifreeze do I need?
None if you keep an eye on the weather forecasts
__________________






  Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 11:02 AM   #23 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Princeton, NJ
Posts: 17

MLGeo - '95 Geo Prizm
90 day: 29.4 mpg (US)

MLTacoma - '09 Toyota Tacoma
90 day: 22.05 mpg (US)

MLVulcan - '95 Kawasaki Vulcan 750
Last 3: 41.73 mpg (US)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mix

In your situation, I would run, a 30% coolant, 70% distilled water, solution, with Water Wetter added. You don't need the temp protection that much, but the anti-corrosion and lubricating effects of coolant are beneficial. Coolant raises the boiling point also.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 03:51 AM   #24 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Western Colorado
Posts: 13
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Best coolant I've ever run is a product made by Evans. It's a waterless coolant and it eliminates all of the problems associated with water based coolants. Changing over to Evans coolant requires COMPLETE removal of the old water based coolant. You can add water to the Evans stuff in a pinch (if you were in the middle of nowhere and sprung a leak) but you will need to flush and replace in order to regain the benefits.

The Evans coolant boils at nearly 400 degrees F and by using it, you eliminate all problems associated to corrosion caused by water based coolants. It also has a freezing temperature of below -40F and another benefit is that when it does freeze, it doesn't expand like water and pop freeze plugs.

Evans waterless coolant can also help fuel economy too. But not without some slight modifications. Because it doesn't transfer heat as fast as water, the engine temperature stays higher and if you have an electric cooling fan, you will have to figure out a way to raise the cycling temperature for the fan. Otherwise the fan will run more than it should.
__________________
Tools are like weapons. Drunks and the feeble minded shouldn't be allowed to handle them.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 03:48 PM   #25 (permalink)
...beats walking...
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: .
Posts: 6,191
Thanks: 179
Thanked 1,521 Times in 1,122 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post
Twice in recorded history, Phoenix has had below-freezing temperatures for fourteen days straight--about a hundred years ago. The longest period of twenty-eight degrees or more was six days, eight years before I was born.

How much antifreeze do I need?
Uh, depends upon what "spirits" you prefer to sip (ha,ha)!

Oh, you meant for your vehicle...follow the diretions on the container.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 06:36 PM   #26 (permalink)
Furry Furfag
 
Baltothewolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Apple Valley
Posts: 2,084

Winsight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Miaderp - '95 Mazda Miata
90 day: 28.53 mpg (US)
Thanks: 67
Thanked 406 Times in 311 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Tele man View Post
Uh, depends upon what "spirits" you prefer to sip (ha,ha)!

Oh, you meant for your vehicle...follow the diretions on the container.
I disagree. I vote for a 20/80 antifreeze/water mix due to the fact that Phoenix gets so Damn hot. I run a 20/80 in both of my cars but I always watch the weather. This winter if it starts getting too cold I'm gonna flush and fill with 50/50.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 09:47 PM   #27 (permalink)
...beats walking...
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: .
Posts: 6,191
Thanks: 179
Thanked 1,521 Times in 1,122 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baltothewolf View Post
I disagree. I vote for a 20/80 antifreeze/water mix due to the fact that Phoenix gets so Damn hot. I run a 20/80 in both of my cars but I always watch the weather. This winter if it starts getting too cold I'm gonna flush and fill with 50/50.
Most of the 'brand-name' coolants specify 50-50 mixture, except for FAR northern locales, like upper Alaska and Canada, etc.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 09:59 PM   #28 (permalink)
Furry Furfag
 
Baltothewolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Apple Valley
Posts: 2,084

Winsight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Miaderp - '95 Mazda Miata
90 day: 28.53 mpg (US)
Thanks: 67
Thanked 406 Times in 311 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Tele man View Post
Most of the 'brand-name' coolants specify 50-50 mixture, except for FAR northern locales, like upper Alaska and Canada, etc.
Well the reason for that is most places get sub zero temps in winter. Socal and some parts AZ don't really get that. Might as well run cooler by running 20/80. Water has much more heat absorption then antifreeze, at least that's what I was told. Only reason I don't run 100% water is because I know antifreeze raises the boiling temp.

  Reply With Quote
Reply  Post New Thread


Thread Tools




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2
All content copyright EcoModder.com