Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-18-2015, 04:16 PM   #1 (permalink)
aero guerrilla

Svietlana II - '13 Peugeot 308SW e-HDI 6sp
90 day: 58.1 mpg (US)
Coolant heater - where to install?

I've found a universal engine preheater which can be mounted on the coolant line, so I had a look to confirm that I have enough room to fit it. The only place I found with tolerable dimensions would be on the coolant line from the bottom of the radiator to the water pump. This localization has three potential downsides:
  1. It is out in the open, so most of the heat will be warming the air around the engine instead of the block itself.
  2. It is on a flat strech of plumbing. I would think that the heating element should be on a stretch of plumbing which is inclined towards the engine, so the the natural circulation will carry heat to the engine block. I wouldn't want the heat to be circulating toward the radiator.
  3. Even if the heat does rise toward the engine, then the first thing it will hit before entering the block is the water pump. Will this hinder the circulation?
Maybe these are all negligible and it's still worth mounting the heater? The car will go to the mechanic in a few days to replace the head gasket, so I need to order the heater by then.

What matters is where you're going, not how fast.

"... we humans tend to screw up everything that's good enough as it is...or everything that we're attracted to, we love to go and defile it." - Chris Cornell

[Old] Piwoslaw's Peugeot 307sw modding thread
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-18-2015, 04:29 PM   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

CM400E - '81 Honda CM400E
90 day: 51.49 mpg (US)

Daox's Grey Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 49.53 mpg (US)

Daox's Insight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 64.33 mpg (US)

Swarthy - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage DE
Mitsubishi
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Daox's Volt - '13 Chevrolet Volt
Thanked 2,586 Times in 1,554 Posts
Is there no way to install it on a heater core hose? That would be much more ideal. I've seen them rerouted across the engine bay, but at least you won't be heating up the radiator.
Old 05-18-2015, 04:50 PM   #3 (permalink)
09 Toyo Yaris HB (Huevos)

Agree with mounting near the heater core if possible. I'm memory serve me you want to avoid the radiator side do you the exhaust manifold and heat shield. It will wear our too quickly.
Old 05-18-2015, 06:14 PM   #4 (permalink)
The PRC.

Would the heat circulate if the engine is off ? I was pondering your sump heater for my passat.
Old 05-19-2015, 11:51 AM   #5 (permalink)
09 Toyo Yaris HB (Huevos)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arragonis View Post
Would the heat circulate if the engine is off ? I was pondering your sump heater for my passat.
Yes it should, remember the radiator is blocked off by the thermostat, and I thought the heater core on the Civic was nearly as big as the radiator anyway. It should cycle like convection up the heater core through the water pump and engine back to the bottom of the heater core. However since we don't know the dimensions of the heater its hard to guess as to whether it will mount at the lower heater core connection.
Old 05-25-2015, 03:44 PM   #6 (permalink)
aero guerrilla

When I left the car with my mechanic before the weekend we had a quick look, and the heater core hose has an internal diameter of only ~22mm, while the inline coolant heaters I've found are for hoses with 28mm or more

I did find that DEFA makes a heater for the PSA 1.1 engine (part #411766), which looks like this:

but it is 3-4 times more expensive than the heater I found.

Maybe, I'll send an email asking if they could modify the heater casing for my needs. If not, then Theodor won't have get an engine heater

"... we humans tend to screw up everything that's good enough as it is...or everything that we're attracted to, we love to go and defile it." - Chris Cornell

Old 05-25-2015, 05:11 PM   #7 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Valerie - '03 Honda Civic DX
Team Honda
90 day: 55.79 mpg (US)
I'm glad you asked this question. I never had thought about the significance of location for a coolant heater! I'm lucky that you asked and many smart people have responded. I would have made a big mistake later this year when it started to get cold around here!

Old 05-25-2015, 05:28 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Berta - '97 BMW 318 tds Compact
90 day: 62.03 mpg (US)

Charlie - '07 Citroen C4 Grand Picasso Exclusive
90 day: 37.58 mpg (US)

Corsa - '05 Opel Corsa C
90 day: 53.22 mpg (US)

Mruczek - '03 Audi A2
90 day: 60.61 mpg (US)
The ideal setup will be to place preheater on the heater core hosing with a pump for a coolant circulation. Don't know what's the material that was used to build that heater you've mentioned but you can always find the way to downsize the outlets to fit the hosing of a heater core.

Quote:
Gerhard Plattner: "The best attitude is to consider fuel saving a kind of sport. Everybody who has enough money for a strong car, can drive fast and hit the pedal. But saving fuel requires concentration, self-control and cleverness. It's a challenge with the nice effect of saving you money that you can use for other more important things."
Old 06-02-2015, 03:53 PM   #9 (permalink)
aero guerrilla

It looks like I've found a heater that will fit the heater core plumbing. The only place it will fit is on the hose going from the thermostat up to the cabin, then up again and suddenly straight down to the water pump. When the heating element is plugged in, the heat will rise through the heater core, then to the pump, and only then into the engine block. Will there be any heat left by then?

The heater has it's own t-stat which disconnects it from electricity once it warms to 80*C, so when plugged in it will not be as hot as the hoses during normal engine operation. The maker of the of the heater even states that it can be insulated with with the same foam used on central heating plumbing. Of course this would have to stand temps as high as 120*C, but it would increase the efficiency of the heater.

Old 06-02-2015, 07:17 PM   #10 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

SUVcruiser - '07 Ssangyong Kyron 2.0 XDI
90 day: 42.55 mpg (US)

SUVcruiser year 2017 - '07 Ssangyong Kyron 2.0XDI
90 day: 42.55 mpg (US)

Hybridcruiser 2023 - '13 Volvo V60 D6 AWD
90 day: 123.84 mpg (US)
Verry interesting treath.

I aim planning on installing water coolant glow plugs to heat up the coolant. But those will only be powered directly from the alternator after the engine is fired up. Was thinking of placing this inline in the cabin heater line. But is this the best place to heat up the engine as fast as possible?

But keep having fun!
I can drift

Previous car. SUV. From 2011+ 10l/100km to 2017 5,516l/100km.
2017 without holiday: 5,397l/100km
EPA Rated average: 8,1l/100km

Current ride: plug in 285hp hybrid
EPA Rated average: 2,8l/100km
Reply  Post New Thread