Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2012, 04:05 PM   #121 (permalink)
Depends on the Day

Teggy - '98 Acura Integra LS
Sports Cars
90 day: 32.74 mpg (US)

IMA - '10 Honda Insight EX
Team Honda
90 day: 34.76 mpg (US)

Tessie - '06 Acura TSX Base
90 day: 28.2 mpg (US)
I think the spirit of the thread is to report incidents closely related to oneself or a friend, etc.

...or, to lighten it up -- "I accidentally got better FE on that last tank".

The worst that's happened to me is once having forgotten to unplug the engine block heater and ruining an extension cord. The poor thing never had a chance.

Then there's the time, after leaving the ignition on overnight from coasting into the garage, the battery was DEAD!

Oh the humanity.

RH77

_
_
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-21-2012, 07:57 AM   #122 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

InsertUniqueName - '07 Toyota Yaris sport

SaturnMPGbeater - '02 Chevy cobalt
Team Saturn
90 day: 47.82 mpg (US)
I'm really, really, really confused as to how you think no one has the "right" to drive below the posted speed limit. That is exactly what everyone has. The posted limit is the LIMIT. Defined as the maximum allowed speed. Therefore everyone has the right to drive below it. Its has become well known that most people drive 5-10 over the limit. But this does not change the fact that it is a limit.

I'm actually a very courteous driver. I do drive normally 5 under the limit in my far right lane. And do consider the flow of traffic as I drive. I will always do what I can to prevent a semi from having to brake to get around me, or Ill move over for him. I also do try to prevent normal traffic from having to avoid me.

HOWEVER, when it comes to the self entitled a-holes who do 20 over and ride my bumper having seen me coming miles ahead of them when they have a clear lane. Or during rush hour when I can maintain a stead speed and since I'm not on the guys bumper in front of me, people will fight tooth and nail to just get in front of me. I wont move.

All comes back to my safety and those around me. I help the everyday people and ignore the hopelessly reckless ones.

The line of people I would happily hold up are the ones who would cut you off trying to get ahead of you even if you were doing 20 over. -- screw those people--

I understand both points in the argument well. There has to be a balance between it all. But don't confuse that with being how its legally supposed to be. Were all legally supposed to be under the speed limit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecomodded View Post
Quote from your post:
Originally Posted by ecomodded

I do not think anybody has a right to drive below the posted speed limit(weather permitting) if they are holding back other drivers. Pull over let everyone pass you,show some road manners,its not all about your gas mileage, its about getting good mpg not being a turd on the road to get it. It just shows incompetency and causes undue stress to other commuters.

Is being considerate of other drivers too much to ask of someone ?
or are you saying you don't consider other drivers?
and drive how you want when you want, collecting a line up of unhappy drivers behind you?

I ask because you quote my post like it challenges your driving.

The pessimist says “The glass is half empty,” the optimist says “The glass is half full,” and the minimalist says “We’ve got about twice as much glass as we need here.”
The Following User Says Thank You to jousai7 For This Useful Post:
UFO (06-21-2012)
Old 06-21-2012, 10:38 AM   #123 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Whitey - '10 Ford Ranger XL
Pickups
90 day: 33.74 mpg (US)

Hershey - '13 Nissan Altima SL
90 day: 28.68 mpg (US)

Midas - '10 Toyota Prius two
The big road I use a lot has three lanes for each direction. I know normally being in the rightmost lane is considered the polite option, but I think me occupying the middle lane is the safest for everybody around. Speed LImit is 65 but people frequently do 10-15 over that. So when I go the speed limit in the right lane and traffic builds up behind me the middle lane becomes very hard to get into because people don't give others space down here. So I have moved to the center lane to allow traffic to flow around me on both sides for better flow and greater overall safety.

Am I inconsiderate for doing so? I don't think so, but if you ask the people who couldn't gauge my speed and have to slam on their brakes because they were edging on triple digits they would say otherwise.

Check out my facebook page, if you feel like watching my progress.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/MPGran...007268?sk=wall
Old 06-21-2012, 11:45 AM   #124 (permalink)
UFO
Master EcoModder

Colorado - '17 Chevrolet Colorado 4x4 LT
90 day: 23.07 mpg (US)
Well said jousai7, the speed freaks on this thread seem to be polarized, you either speed with them or you are an obstruction.
Old 06-21-2012, 11:54 AM   #125 (permalink)
Depends on the Day

Sports Cars

Team Honda

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPGranger View Post
Am I inconsiderate for doing so?
First, I wouldn't feel bad for driving the speed limit despite the actions of others and applaud your resolve for sticking to it. It's posted for a reason and it sounds like enforcement is lacking. The law states, 1 MPH over the limit is an infraction.

From personal experience on 3-lane highways, there are 2 distinct scenarios that I adjust to (this is based on 10-under the limit up to the limit itself and cycling speed in that range):

1) Desolate 3-Lane Interstates: In this case, I'll hang out in the right lane unless it looks like someone is approaching in the same lane and (just guessing) wants to exit. I'll take the center lane and let them take the exit at whatever speed they want, or pass on the right. It take another level of attention behind, plus the scangauge, road conditions ahead, etc.

2) Busy 3-Lane Highways: Just observing professional big-rig drivers that are often governed at 61 mph (and in the hilly areas here where they scrub speed), the safest place is often the center lane for them (and consequently for me as well). People come-and-go in the right lane at exits/entrances, and the left lane is there for high-speed folks. Short on-ramps that freak-out the majority of drivers can remain more open for merging. The exception here is that very slow vehicles should probably stay in the right lane (10-20+ MPH under the limit). But as you mentioned, once the speedy folks enter the highway, they can get to the center lane and over to the left lane where they think they kick-in the afterburners.

Wreckless drivers create their own hazards. Attentive drivers prevent them.

RH77

_
_
Old 06-21-2012, 01:50 PM   #126 (permalink)
Drive less save more

Dusty - '98 VOLKSWAGEN Beetle TDI
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 60.42 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jousai7 View Post
I'm really, really, really confused as to how you think no one has the "right" to drive below the posted speed limit. That is exactly what everyone has. The posted limit is the LIMIT. Defined as the maximum allowed speed. Therefore everyone has the right to drive below it. Its has become well known that most people drive 5-10 over the limit. But this does not change the fact that it is a limit.

I'm actually a very courteous driver. I do drive normally 5 under the limit in my far right lane. And do consider the flow of traffic as I drive. I will always do what I can to prevent a semi from having to brake to get around me, or Ill move over for him. I also do try to prevent normal traffic from having to avoid me.

HOWEVER, when it comes to the self entitled a-holes who do 20 over and ride my bumper having seen me coming miles ahead of them when they have a clear lane. Or during rush hour when I can maintain a stead speed and since I'm not on the guys bumper in front of me, people will fight tooth and nail to just get in front of me. I wont move.

All comes back to my safety and those around me. I help the everyday people and ignore the hopelessly reckless ones.

The line of people I would happily hold up are the ones who would cut you off trying to get ahead of you even if you were doing 20 over. -- screw those people--

I understand both points in the argument well. There has to be a balance between it all. But don't confuse that with being how its legally supposed to be. Were all legally supposed to be under the speed limit.
Your argument is based on your driving style,your preference to driving below the posted speed limit. Which is fine but don't hold up other drivers while driving below the speed limit.
Other people have lives, places to go, people to see and only so much time or patience for people out on Sunday cruise,on Wednesday.
Why would one driver thinks he has the "right" to hold up 5-10-20 or more drivers while he "chooses" to drive at his own irritating slow pace.
Thats my whole point, who ever reads this can decide if they do or do not fit into the description of the road menace.

Last edited by ecomodded; 06-21-2012 at 01:59 PM..
Old 06-21-2012, 03:26 PM   #127 (permalink)
UFO
Master EcoModder

Colorado - '17 Chevrolet Colorado 4x4 LT
90 day: 23.07 mpg (US)
Quote:
Why would one driver thinks he has the "right" to hold up 5-10-20 or more drivers while he "chooses" to drive at his own irritating slow pace.
Thats my whole point, who ever reads this can decide if they do or do not fit into the description of the road menace.
I am curious why you think some or most of we that "hypermile" fit your strawman construct. I am here to tell you that most if not all of us are not as discourteous as you portray.
Old 06-21-2012, 03:50 PM   #128 (permalink)
Depends on the Day

Sports Cars

Team Honda

Quote:
I pull up to the left turn lane to leave my neighborhood, trip the light, and have the "right" to make 20+ people come to a complete halt while they wait for just me to enter the roadway. It's a big waste of gas for them and (yes) time, but I get hit with the opposite scenario all the time. I can't pick up and move just for better FE.

I was just in your part of the World a couple of Months ago (nice place by the way). If you're arguing from your perspective of local driving (and my assumption is correct), then you're probably getting behind older folks. Victoria and Vancouver Island are the fasting growing areas in Canada for retirees. I agree, it can be irritating, but keep reading...

I fully admit to having been a road-rager, speed freak, "Road Menace", and constantly irritated driver in the past. I had the "right" to speed, and slow people were the "enemy". People here helped me overcome that, and now I try to stay calm and let it ride.

No disrespect intended, but I recommend to conduct experiments on how much time is actually lost behind the slow driver. Simple calcs are all that's required. If it's 5 minutes, for example, then justify the time at the wheel. For me, I guess I just spend 5 fewer minutes here online, or eat 5 minutes later, or pick up my kiddo 5 minutes later. Just the other day, some irritated driver didn't think I was driving fast enough, rode my bumper, the other lane was going the same rate. Then she finally flew around and I got the "finger" and the whole works. About 5 minutes later, she was waiting at a left turn light, and guess who passed straight through the light. You may be surprised to find that the time isn't all that much or it's gained with timing lights.

It sounds like I drive similarly to you. I also feel that it's important to go at least the speed limit with traffic behind on a single lane road. For me, it's simple road manners. But it seems if I was going 10-over, often times that's still not fast enough. You can't please everyone out there. One of the last people I want to tick off is the State/Provincial Police or the small-town speed trappers.

I've also learned that you can't change someone's mind in one thread, so I wish you best on your adventure to better FE and less irritated vehicle operation.

Best Regards,

RH77

_
_

Last edited by RH77; 06-21-2012 at 03:53 PM.. Reason: Grammar
Old 06-21-2012, 03:53 PM   #129 (permalink)
Drive less save more

TEAM VW AUDI Group
UFO I said the person who holds up traffic, driving below the speed limit, at some slow speed he inflicts on everyone behind him.
On a typical 2 hour drive i will see 1 maybe 2 inherently slow vehicles.
Out of all the cars i see on my 2 hour drive, 1 car out of a 500 or 1000 cars.
Percent wise it is 0.2 to 0.1 % of the drivers i encounter drive abnormally slow, Abby normal as Marty Feldman would say.

Old 06-21-2012, 04:09 PM   #130 (permalink)
Drive less save more

TEAM VW AUDI Group
RH77 thanks for speaking up on your outlook, we do think the same way when it comes to road manners, I run into the speeders as well,they cannot be pleased, short of pulling over for them, which i will do, if i notice them.. I like to drive 100kmh on a double lane hwy that has a posted speed of 120kmh, the double lane affords such slow driving, i would never to it to someone on a single lane hwy.
Hopefully someone reads this thread and see's the error of their way.

If they are pig headed as me then we are screwed!

Reply  Post New Thread