Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2012, 10:36 PM   #171 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

The Blue Bomber - '95 Geo Metro
90 day: 52.09 mpg (US)
Theoretically this Ford MAP sesnor mod could be done on ANY vehicle with an aftermarket cruise control and ANY vehicle with a VSS PPM of 8000 with an OEM cruise control. You can check your vehicle's PPM here where is says VSS search on the right: Rostra Precision Controls | Technical Support
With this particular mod, you're not using your OEM MAP or MAF sensor to trick the cruise (not to say that can't be done), but you're using the Ford MAP sensor which can be "plugged" into ANY vehicle. All you're doing is running a vacuum line from the Ford MAP sensor to the intake manifold and the sensor does the rest. It monitors intake manifold pressure and sends that data to the cruise control and the cruise adjusts accordingly.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-04-2012, 09:27 AM   #172 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I have another Ford MAP sensor if someone wants to give this a try. I tested it already and works just fine. $25 OBO shipped.
Old 05-09-2012, 09:43 PM   #173 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I just filled up tonight. I drove 467.2 miles on 8.035 gallons of gas for an average of 58.1 MPG. Top speed was 71 MPH with an average moving speed of 49 MPH. The next three tanks will be done with "normal" cruise. However, I noticed with my new settings, it allows the car a wider range of speed since the sensativity is so low. I have Gain (Sensativity) at Extra Low. I've always had it at that setting, but I changed it from 4 Cylinder/Low to 8 Cylinder/Low. Before, the speed would only drop by 2-3 mph on hills. Now it drops as low as 9 mph on hills. Before on the longest steepest hill, instant MPG would drop to 34 mpg. Now it drops to 36 mpg. On moderate grades, it used to drop to around 40 mpg, now it drops to 48 mpg. Target speed will be 57 mph for the next three tanks and I'll see which is better. I think with the new settings, it most likely will be a toss up. With the previous 4 cylinder setting, I think the MAP mod would edge it out.
The Following User Says Thank You to mjspiess For This Useful Post:
California98Civic (05-09-2012)
Old 05-10-2012, 10:30 PM   #174 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I think I got a bit lost. Is the Ford sensor able to produce a signal similar to the VSS wire, but instead of it being in relation to speed like the VSS it varies with vacum or engine load, which would translate to MPG?
Old 05-10-2012, 11:15 PM   #175 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

You got it Cobb. The Ford MAP sensor is able to produce a square frequency just like the VSS does, so they "look" the same to the cruise control, but the MAP is measuring vacuum/engine load which translates to MPG vs VSS measuring speed not caring at all about MPG.
The Following User Says Thank You to mjspiess For This Useful Post:
Cobb (05-15-2012)
Old 05-15-2012, 09:48 PM   #176 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanks for the clarification. I first thought to myself, SHOOT I need 300 bucks and another cruse control kit. Then it occured to me, I could just hunt down the VSS lead to the cc module and use the Ford sensor instead of the VSS wire.

With the newer Insight, it "seems" to have lean burn where a light throttle results in 50mph and infinite fuel economy according to the FCD MID. I doubt that setting it for 100 would be too useful in the real world, however its not too hard to keep it above 50mpg at about highway speeds.

Maybe you shouid try a stretch of road vs a tank if you got mixed driving? My driving is all over the place, yet I still manage mid 60s for an over all mpg.
Old 05-16-2012, 09:50 PM   #177 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Yeah, you're right Cobb. It's not going to hurt to try. I've thought about trying it on my wife's '97 Grand AM GT to see how well it works.

100 MPG is prob. not feasable and still maintain a good speed, but maybe 70-80 MPG may be attainable. I was surprised on how well it really does. If I tried really really hard I think I'd be able to do just as well, but it's such fine movements of the gas pedel. I'd rather leave that up to a machine and focus on the road

I filled up tonight. I drove 477.7 miles on 8.393 gallons of gas for an average of 56.9 MPG. Top speed was 70 MPH with an average moving speed of 51 MPH. This tank was with "normal" cruise. With the new settings, it pretty much pulses and glides between 55-65 MPH on its own based on elevation changes. It slows down going up hills like the MAP mod, but then slowly brings your speed back up once it drops ~5 MPH below your set speed, but over shoots your Set speed by ~5 MPH, then glides and so on. After a while on level road, it levels out to the Set speed. Also, with the new settings I can't set the cruise until I reach at least 37 MPH now vs 25 MPH. I believe this is due to the PPM set to 8000 instead of 4000. I figured this tank would be about the same as the last one since pulsing and gliding works really well, but it was 1.2 MPG less. In order for my speed not to drop below 55 MPH (minimum speed limit) I had to set the cruise at 59-60 MPH, so I'm guessing that is why it's a little less since my target speed is usually 57-59 MPH. Instead of running another tank like this, I'm going to mix it up and use the VSS cruise for the 55-70 MPH highway portion where I really should at least be going 55 MPH and MAP cruise for ~10 miles off the highway where there really is no minimum speed limit during my commute and see what kind of results I get.
Old 05-18-2012, 03:09 PM   #178 (permalink)
FNG

OregonTrailer - '02 Subaru Forester S
90 day: 23.31 mpg (US)
Just read this about the 2013 Ford Fusion SE Hybrid

"EcoCruise control saves vehicle energy by slowing down acceleration compared to standard cruise control. Your vehicle may temporarily lose speed when going uphill. It can be switched on or off in the information display"

Looks like the new hybrid version is projected (by Ford) to get 47 city and 44 hwy mpg. A 2 liter Atkinson-cycle four cyl, paired w/ an electric motor, makes 180bhp and 130 ft lbs of torque. Vehicle has an estimated Cd of .27

Source:
http://www.digitaltrends.com/cars/fo...fusion-hybrid/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-Ford-Fusion.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	30.4 KB
ID:	10851  

Last edited by dopplereffect98; 05-18-2012 at 03:21 PM..
Old 06-04-2012, 08:52 PM   #179 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

The Beast - '93 Fleetwood Flair includes kitchen sink
90 day: 9.2 mpg (US)

The Bigger Beast - '03 Winnebago Sightseer Motor Home
MPG cruise control

I like the idea of MPG cruise.

Don't forget the tranny may shift down. For autos that may save gas as the engine revs go up he throttle can go down. Look to keep the engine in the fat part of the torque curve for most engine torque with lowest RPM.

My motor home (Check my garage below.) is my attempt at "hyper Mileing" Any time the tranny shifts down the engine speeds up and the MPG drops like a rock! It has a 454 Chevy engine and the big cubic inches need fuel to satisfy the 14.8 to 1 fuel ratio. I like coasting, 999 mpg.

I usually get instant MPG about 12, but that becomes tank 8.5 mpg average, allowing for acceleration up through the gears. Each time it shifts up I get better mileage.
I am using an MPGuino as a fuel monitor.

Total fuel mileage is usually 10.5 mpg from calculated fill ups. (That is a tough one, the tank holds 75 gallons! Really really bad on the wallet too.)

It's great for vacations though. 700 miles between fill ups.

1993 Fleetwood Flair
Details: The Beast - 1993 Fleetwood Flair includes kitchen sink Fuel Economy - EcoModder.com garage
Old 06-04-2012, 08:56 PM   #180 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

The Beast - '93 Fleetwood Flair includes kitchen sink
90 day: 9.2 mpg (US)

The Bigger Beast - '03 Winnebago Sightseer Motor Home
MPG cruise control

I like the idea of MPG cruise.

Don't forget the tranny may shift down. For autos that may save gas as the engine revs go up the throttle can go lesser. Look to keep the engine in the fat part of the torque curve for most engine torque with lowest RPM.

My motor home (Check my garage below.) is my attempt at "hyper Mileing" Any time the tranny shifts down the engine speeds up and the MPG drops like a rock! It has a 454 Chevy engine and the big cubic inches need fuel to satisfy the 14.8 to 1 fuel ratio. I like coasting, 999 mpg.

I usually get instant MPG about 12, but that becomes tank 8.5 mpg average, allowing for acceleration up through the gears. Each time it shifts up I get better mileage.

I am using an MPGuino as a fuel monitor.
The MPGuino calibration is almost impossible to do.

Total fuel mileage is usually 10.5 mpg from calculated fill ups. (That is a tough one, the tank holds 75 gallons! Really really bad on the wallet too.)

It's great for vacations though. 700 miles between fill ups.

1993 Fleetwood Flair
Details: The Beast - 1993 Fleetwood Flair includes kitchen sink Fuel Economy - EcoModder.com garage

Reply  Post New Thread