Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2013, 10:42 PM   #11 (permalink)
Passing the pump :)

HeFf - '88 Honda CRX HF
235 miles, gauge is at 1/3...but needle fluctuates back and forth to half tank mark...

I overlooked the vacuum booster, assumed the article I read was normal for all HG's.. the marginal brakes may be caused by worn brakes out back...haven't had the drums off yet to see.

Your engine layout is very different from mine. Do you have a hydraulic clutch? What's with the little radiator?...my replacement radiator I had to buy actually goes all the way across the front, a touch longer than the leaking original.

Actually, a lot of changes under your hood...my batt is beside radiator..

Last edited by BlueCruxHF; 05-11-2013 at 10:49 PM..
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-12-2013, 09:28 PM   #12 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Oh, that's not my car--mine has been sold and I didn't find any pics of the correct area of mine. So I Googled images of "civic vx engine bay". Evidently the pic I grabbed is a modified car.

My CRX had the battery over to the left of the distributor, and the air filter housing was even further to the left. I don't know what is stock for a VX.

-soD
Old 05-12-2013, 10:22 PM   #13 (permalink)

HeFf - '88 Honda CRX HF
Cool

Earlier, made a typo, said HG instead of HF, my bad.

I filled up today, got 7.961 gallons at the 300 mile mark...the needle was fluctuating between empty and maybe a an 1/8...that puts me at a depressing and dismal 40 mpg-ish. A far cry from the epa ratings of 47-50 mpg

I suspect a few problems are the culprit .. the motor is low on compression, and I currently have no plans to rebuild it, it may not get top notch mpg, but it runs ok.
The car limps down hill when parked, if the parking brake is not applied.. the cylinders are leaking down obviously. Also, if the trunk is open, the fumes are unbearable... its not burning all the fuel it should. I will check plugs and air filter tomorrow, and the timing soon as well, but since compression=power, I fear the car will not be seeing 50 mpg for along time...

Still, Im double the mpg of taco, and happy overall with the little car.
Old 05-13-2013, 10:08 PM   #14 (permalink)

HeFf - '88 Honda CRX HF
Yesterday, I topped off, and today I was driving using semi-pulse glide method today (meaning, I didn't actually kill the engine, put car in neutral and let it idle during glide, ignition switch is worn).
after a lot of running around in the country, I stopped in the gas station and with 97.5 miles, it took only 1.07 gallons today...certainly, I didn't get 97 mpg today...ideas?
Old 05-13-2013, 10:15 PM   #15 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 52.48 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,960 Times in 3,604 Posts
Short fills can be misleading.

(Not that ~90 mpg is out of the realm of possibility with low/moderate speed p&g in a car like yours... but not with the engine idling in the glides.)

I'd say add those miles and gallons to your next fill for a more accurate picture of what's going on.
Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:
BlueCruxHF (05-14-2013)
Old 05-14-2013, 04:39 PM   #16 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

An error in filling of 0.1 gallons is a 10% measurement error. That is potentially quite serious--and errors can be larger than that.

That's why we try to run trough most of a tank when trying to evaluate driving or modifications. Or try to rely on more precise measurements, such as those offered by a ScanGauge, UltraGauge, or MPGuino.

-soD
The Following User Says Thank You to some_other_dave For This Useful Post:
BlueCruxHF (05-14-2013)
Old 05-14-2013, 09:47 PM   #17 (permalink)

HeFf - '88 Honda CRX HF
OK guys, help me out with this one...HeFf has a throttle angle (position) sensor, not a mass air flow sensor. I don't see any temperature controls involved here...so does a WAI benefit me?
Now it warming up faster is a big bonus (grill block is on the way, if work will leave me alone lol) but I cant see an advantage in doing the WAI if I don't have too...not bucking the trend here, just trying to make sure I don't lose horses and learn a few things.... Thanks..
Old 05-15-2013, 02:17 PM   #18 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

No MAF in older Hondas. The 90s-vintage fuel injection (and earlier!) used "speed-density", which means they measured the air pressure in the manifold to estimate the air going into the engine. The MAP sensor should be on the firewall.

I think there is a temperature sensor in or on the manifold somewhere.

-soD
Old 05-15-2013, 10:01 PM   #19 (permalink)

HeFf - '88 Honda CRX HF
Cool

Ok, only temp sensor mentioned by Hanes book says its for the gauge...of course, that could be linked to other comp functions, but wiring diagram isn't showing anything.

For right now, unless someone has better evidence, I'm leaving the WAI off...it's as simple as can be to hook up, but we all know that hot air has less power in an engine.

On to the grill block we go... what the heck is chloroplast and where do ya get it?
Old 05-16-2013, 07:17 PM   #20 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

It's "coroplast", corrugated plastic. Found at sign shops, at some home improvement big-box stores, and just about everywhere FOR FREE just after election day.

-soD

Reply  Post New Thread