Go Back   EcoModder Forum > AltModding > Alternative Transportation
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-29-2008, 01:58 PM   #11 (permalink)
I REFUSE!

VTEC Express - '96 Honda Civic CX
90 day: 57.72 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to thebrad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazarus View Post
No I was talking about the kcal not the speed. In order for the kcal to be right you'll have to have the user setup done so that it can calculate it right.
Moderate pace 75-80% max heart rate usually is around 500 or so. Your HR would be under that number thats why I asked.

I'm L7
My heart rate is right in line with the 75%+, I max out at 197 so anything above 150 is good for me, it's rare for me to go above 175 too. So I'm not exactly sure what you're saying. Is the caloric burn too high in your opinion?

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-29-2008, 02:24 PM   #12 (permalink)
ECO-Evolution

Iron Horse (retired) - '97 Iron horse Intrepid

Ninja - '08 Kawasaki 250R
90 day: 76.23 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebrad View Post
My heart rate is right in line with the 75%+, I max out at 197 so anything above 150 is good for me, it's rare for me to go above 175 too. So I'm not exactly sure what you're saying. Is the caloric burn too high in your opinion?
Disregard everything I've said I miss read the chart. I though your average heart rate was 127 and you burned 460 calories for the 40 minute trip.

Now I see it was 140 and 460cal/60 minutes which is about right. I figured you would burn between 230-280 for the trip at a moderate pace. Sorry for the confusion.

Just curious how did you figure your max HR?

Old 05-29-2008, 10:03 PM   #13 (permalink)
I REFUSE!

Quote:
Disregard everything I've said I miss read the chart. I though your average heart rate was 127 and you burned 460 calories for the 40 minute trip.

Now I see it was 140 and 460cal/60 minutes which is about right. I figured you would burn between 230-280 for the trip at a moderate pace. Sorry for the confusion.

Just curious how did you figure your max HR?
From what I remember the medical formulation is 220 - (your age), but I didn't trust the default the system gave me so I went to a sports medicine doctor Wednesday morning and had a cardiovascular stress test done which is basically walking/running on a treadmill at inclines and speeds that are increased every 3 minutes for as long as you can hang. The doctor concluded that the 197 was accurate and that I am pretty healthy because I don't "redline" often - even went as far to call me an athlete.

I can scan the EKG if you want to see it.

Haha due to the concern of the calorie burn, I reset it.
It's now on the highest setting (Top) which is "You participate regularly in heavy physical exercise at least 5 times a week. E.g. you exercise to improve performance for competitive purposes."

Today's circuit
Old 05-29-2008, 10:26 PM   #14 (permalink)
ECO-Evolution

Quote:
From what I remember the medical formulation is 220 - (your age), but I didn't trust the default the system gave me so I went to a sports medicine doctor Wednesday morning and had a cardiovascular stress test done which is basically walking/running on a treadmill at inclines and speeds that are increased every 3 minutes for as long as you can hang. The doctor concluded that the 197 was accurate and that I am pretty healthy because I don't "redline" often - even went as far to call me an athlete.

I can scan the EKG if you want to see it.

Haha due to the concern of the calorie burn, I reset it.
It's now on the highest setting (Top) which is "You participate regularly in heavy physical exercise at least 5 times a week. E.g. you exercise to improve performance for competitive purposes."
The 220- age deal is usually way off. Sounds like your doing it right taking the stress test. Keep in mind that max HR differs for each style of exercise. Running will be higher then cycling and swimming will be lower then cycling. Not much anywhere between 3-5 beats. Max heart and resting pulse are pretty worthless in the grand scheme of thing anyway.

I have stayed at a holiday inn but would not be able to make heads or tell of the EKG

Sorry about messing your setting up but I think your in the right setting now.

You're a grinder. I bet your legs and knees are pretty tough to average 59 rpm. 25 miles, good effort.

How are you dealing with carrying your stuff? just using a back pack or do you have panniers(?)

Old 05-29-2008, 10:49 PM   #15 (permalink)
I REFUSE!

Quote:
The 220- age deal is usually way off. Sounds like your doing it right taking the stress test. Keep in mind that max HR differs for each style of exercise. Running will be higher then cycling and swimming will be lower then cycling. Not much anywhere between 3-5 beats. Max heart and resting pulse are pretty worthless in the grand scheme of thing anyway.

I have stayed at a holiday inn but would not be able to make heads or tell of the EKG

Sorry about messing your setting up but I think your in the right setting now.

You're a grinder. I bet your legs and knees are pretty tough to average 59 rpm. 25 miles, good effort.

How are you dealing with carrying your stuff? just using a back pack or do you have panniers(?)
Is that cadence bad? There are really only two gear on that bike that feel "right" in my area the rest feel way too loose for me. I am not using to gears. :\

Currently I am carrying 1.5 liters of water, in three different bottles, in my backpack. As I near my goal of 50 miles round trip, I will probably begin carrying food banana(s), clif bar(s), some type of bread (from what I gather that's what cyclists need?), and maybe an energy drink since my trainer is concerned about me passing out from loss of electrolytes. Once I begin doing the 50 daily I will also need to carry a change of clothes and probably a few text books.
Old 05-29-2008, 11:57 PM   #16 (permalink)
I REFUSE!

I was clearing the clutter off my desk and found a sheet I got at the gym awhile back for predicted heart rates while Spinning/X-Biking (stationary cycling). According to this sheet my max would be 198, 92% is 181, 85% is 167, 75% is 148, 65% is 128, 50% is 99.

Anybody want info off this sheet before I shred it?
Old 05-30-2008, 10:29 AM   #17 (permalink)
ECO-Evolution

Quote:
Is that cadence bad? There are really only two gear on that bike that feel "right" in my area the rest feel way too loose for me. I am not using to gears. :\

Not necessarily bad just not as efficient. Here's a good link on the subject. It does put a little more wear and tear on the knees. Are you only riding with the big ring in front?

Old 05-30-2008, 04:39 PM   #18 (permalink)
I REFUSE!

Did some reading on cadence after posting that and came across and article that stated 80-95 is good for n00bs so I tried to maintain that for the duration of today's ride. Anything above about 105 I feel like I am drowning and strongly dislike it.
Also I have noticed I am unable to maintain the same intensity of speed at higher cadence, as well as having a much lower heart rate, while I am sure this is great for endurance racing. I am looking to get my daily exercise in on my commute. :X

By big ring, I am assuming you mean the handle bars and yes I am almost always in a tuck with my hands on the curved bars rather than straight.

For today's ride, I began training specifically for my commute by traveling to what I consider the half way point (San Jacinto is the goal) and then began experiencing some hip/pelvic pain on my inner left thigh (where the joint is) so I turned back due to that.

Anyway here's the map

And here's the HRM readout:

Definitely going to need a more comfortable seat if I am going to be doing this day in and day out.
Old 05-31-2008, 12:41 AM   #19 (permalink)
ECO-Evolution

By big ring I meant the Big Chainring in the Front where the chain goes around.

You will self regulate the cadence. It kind of a function of power and gearing. The stronger you get the faster you can spin a higher power output. I would just go what feels comfortable but I think in the long run shooting for over 80 rpm will help.

Can you explain the graph? I have not used polar in years. Is the shaded portions terrain?

Old 05-31-2008, 11:28 AM   #20 (permalink)
I REFUSE!

Chain is on the smallest front chainwheel and chain is on the second smallest rear chainwheel.

I am still learning cadence, I am going to go out today and practice with this some more. According to my trainer 5/29 was a better cardiovascular ride, 5/30 was a better fat burning ride.

As far as the graphs, blue is speed, green is cadence, red with red is altitude, red with white is heart rate.