Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now
 

Reply  Post New Thread
 
Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2011, 04:08 AM   #61 (permalink)
The PRC.
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Elsewhere.
Posts: 5,304
Thanks: 285
Thanked 535 Times in 384 Posts
Thick fog today, freezing fog in fact. You would think people would be careful.

No. Don't you know that Foglights are to cars what shields are in Star Trek ?

__________________
[I]So long and thanks for all the fish.[/I]
  Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

   
Old 02-19-2011, 03:17 PM   #62 (permalink)
wdb
lurker's apprentice
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: the Perimeter
Posts: 826

PlainJane - '12 Toyota Tacoma Base 4WD Access Cab
90 day: 20.98 mpg (US)
Thanks: 375
Thanked 179 Times in 138 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arragonis View Post
Today's annoyance - there is a 'park and ride' bus stop on my route to work - don't get excited it doesn't work for me - and the entrance has traffic lights on it. These sensibly have detectors so the lights only change when someone wants in or out. The bad bit is that a butterfly expelling excess gas in Brazil is enough to set these sensors off. So we all stop and watch as nothing pulls out.
Reminds me of a former annoyance. Large intersection with separate traffic light cycles for left turns and traffic in each direction of the crossroad, a total of 6 cycles in all. I would get there in the middle of the night, with no other car in sight, and the light would turn and I would wait through all of the cycles. That light had no sensors whatsoever - it just cycled through on its own little schedule, oblivious to butterfly, traffic volume, time of day, you name it.

I'm also mildly annoyed by never having been offered a date in an ecomodder ad, but I think I can live with that one.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 04:39 PM   #63 (permalink)
aero guerrilla
 
Piwoslaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Warsaw, Poland
Posts: 3,541

Svietlana II - '13 Peugeot 308SW e-HDI 6sp
90 day: 58.1 mpg (US)
Thanks: 1,056
Thanked 628 Times in 395 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdb View Post
Reminds me of a former annoyance. Large intersection with separate traffic light cycles for left turns and traffic in each direction of the crossroad, a total of 6 cycles in all. I would get there in the middle of the night, with no other car in sight, and the light would turn and I would wait through all of the cycles. That light had no sensors whatsoever - it just cycled through on its own little schedule, oblivious to butterfly, traffic volume, time of day, you name it.
Great intersection to shut the engine off while you wait. In fact, great place to practice light timing. (See? Always look on the bright side of life)

Recently, pedestrian crossing lights in my area are being upgraded with sensors that turn the light red if a car is going faster than the speed limit. Cool, no problem if I'm alone, but I get a red when a car going in the opposite direction is speeding. Why? Why do I have to stop when I wasn't the one speeding?

But it gets better: There is a street close by, 2 lanes each way, nice and straight over 5-6km, goes parallel to the river, so the only intersections are with roads on the east side. It's a great place to (illegally) race at night, so what did the authorities do to make it safer? The lights have sensors and are programmed to turn red during the night hours. Turn red right in front of the car, so that it has to slam the brakes to stop. As soon as the driver takes his teeth out of the steering wheel the light is green again. Acceleration, 500 meters, and slam the brakes again. Etc., etc., and so on. The PSL is 70 km/h, by trial and error I've found that going 40-50 km/h allows you to catch most of the lights just as they turn green again. I've heard that going 150 km/h allows you to hit the lights just before they turn red. As mentioned earlier, this was supposed stop speeding and racing, but the effect is that no-one pays attention and just runs the reds. Except for me, but thankfully I've found a better route: not only is it shorter (10.1km vs 10.6km), but also it has a lower speed limit (50km/h all the way vs 70km/h most of the way) and less lights. Win-win.
__________________
e·co·mod·ding: the art of turning vehicles into what they should be

What matters is where you're going, not how fast.

"... we humans tend to screw up everything that's good enough as it is...or everything that we're attracted to, we love to go and defile it." - Chris Cornell

Piwoslaw's Peugeot 307sw modding thread

  Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 05:59 PM   #64 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
nemo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: US
Posts: 907

Chief - '06 Pontiac Grand Prix
90 day: 27.29 mpg (US)

SF1 - '12 Ford Fiesta S
90 day: 36.87 mpg (US)
Thanks: 160
Thanked 198 Times in 154 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piwoslaw View Post
Recently, pedestrian crossing lights in my area are being upgraded with sensors that turn the light red if a car is going faster than the speed limit. Cool, no problem if I'm alone, but I get a red when a car going in the opposite direction is speeding. Why? Why do I have to stop when I wasn't the one speeding?

But it gets better: There is a street close by, 2 lanes each way, nice and straight over 5-6km, goes parallel to the river, so the only intersections are with roads on the east side. It's a great place to (illegally) race at night, so what did the authorities do to make it safer? The lights have sensors and are programmed to turn red during the night hours. Turn red right in front of the car, so that it has to slam the brakes to stop.
This is a typical government solution to a problem. A few people doing something wrong, punish everyone, instead of doing some about the people causing the problem.
__________________


Last edited by nemo; 02-19-2011 at 06:06 PM..
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 09:27 PM   #65 (permalink)
dude...wait...what?
 
Odin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Cincinnati Ohio
Posts: 161

Diesel Rx-7 - '82 Mazda Rx-7 GSL

merc 300d - '82 Mercedes-benz 300d dt

b2200 diesel - '84 Mazda b2200 D
Thanks: 6
Thanked 12 Times in 11 Posts
^^^^Easy solution, go even faster so you can make it though before it turns red, I'm assuming they legally have to have the yellow light first
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 01:46 AM   #66 (permalink)
aero guerrilla
 
Piwoslaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Warsaw, Poland
Posts: 3,541

Svietlana II - '13 Peugeot 308SW e-HDI 6sp
90 day: 58.1 mpg (US)
Thanks: 1,056
Thanked 628 Times in 395 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odin View Post
^^^^Easy solution, go even faster so you can make it though before it turns red, I'm assuming they legally have to have the yellow light first
Yes, the standard is a 3-second yellow. But on that road at night I'm sure it is much shorter. I wonder if I timed it and it turned out to be 1-1.5 seconds, if I could have them do something about it being less than what is legal? Actually, I think it's a waste of my time since I now have a much better route...
__________________
e·co·mod·ding: the art of turning vehicles into what they should be

What matters is where you're going, not how fast.

"... we humans tend to screw up everything that's good enough as it is...or everything that we're attracted to, we love to go and defile it." - Chris Cornell

Piwoslaw's Peugeot 307sw modding thread

  Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 02:12 PM   #67 (permalink)
The PRC.
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Elsewhere.
Posts: 5,304
Thanks: 285
Thanked 535 Times in 384 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piwoslaw View Post
Yes, the standard is a 3-second yellow....
A lot of these here are inconsistent - some junctions are more or less one side amber/red, other side amber/green with no pause. In a strange area it can be dangerous to 'run' a light.

My annoyance today ?

Two words.

White.

Seats.

Somewhere near the Skoda factory a car interior designer is cackling manically about that one...
__________________
[I]So long and thanks for all the fish.[/I]
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 05:16 AM   #68 (permalink)
The PRC.
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Elsewhere.
Posts: 5,304
Thanks: 285
Thanked 535 Times in 384 Posts
And today - Suicyclists.
__________________
[I]So long and thanks for all the fish.[/I]
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 07:58 AM   #69 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: scotland
Posts: 1,401

The Mistress - '88 Bmw 320i Touring SE
Team m8
Last 3: 27.17 mpg (US)

Babette - '01 Renault Clio 172 Exclusive
90 day: 31.17 mpg (US)

Derv Olop - '96 VW Polo CL
90 day: 38.61 mpg (US)

The Miserly Missile - '01 Skoda Octavia Tdi Ambiente
Team m8
90 day: 48.67 mpg (US)

Puggit - '97 Peugeot 306 Dturbo
90 day: 42.8 mpg (US)

Alfalfa - '02 Alfa Romeo 156 1.8 T Spark
90 day: 27.31 mpg (US)

316 - '87 BMW 316
90 day: 31.02 mpg (US)

Vectra - '01 Vauxhall Vectra SRi
90 day: 32.14 mpg (US)

Germany Beadle - '91 Mercedes 300td (estate, N/A)
90 day: 24.63 mpg (US)

Howdi Hay two - '01 Audi A2
90 day: 49.96 mpg (US)
Thanks: 88
Thanked 83 Times in 70 Posts
Ease up chief!

Blowing exhausts is my complaint for the day!
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 12:34 PM   #70 (permalink)
wdb
lurker's apprentice
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: the Perimeter
Posts: 826

PlainJane - '12 Toyota Tacoma Base 4WD Access Cab
90 day: 20.98 mpg (US)
Thanks: 375
Thanked 179 Times in 138 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piwoslaw View Post
Great intersection to shut the engine off while you wait. In fact, great place to practice light timing. (See? Always look on the bright side of life)
Thanks, you reminded me of the other annoyance with that intersection: it was just over a curving rise, no chance to time the light.

Today's annoyance: plastic 'bubble' packaging designed to make you want to reach for a blowtorch. I had to get a knife out to liberate a pair of AA batteries from the stuff yesterday.

  Reply With Quote
Reply  Post New Thread


Thread Tools




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2
All content copyright EcoModder.com