Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Motorcycles / Scooters
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2013, 08:27 PM   #131 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christ View Post
The engine wont' need forced cooling to run properly on an open frame motorcycle, so you can cut/mill the blades off the flywheel and remove the tins entirely.
Sure, but I'd still like to get an electric fan as a last scenario resource...

Quote:
One of the 'be careful' aspects of this engine is the relatively light duty charging system, mostly since they were designed to be used in stationary jobs like pumps and generators where lighting wasnt' the primary function. A 65w headlight and 13w tail light and 7-10wx4 marker/turn lights would be about the extent it can handle comfortably IIRC.
I've already seen some of those engines with a built-in beam to be used in small tiller-tractors. I'd consider to use LEDs all-round exactly to reduce the demand on electric power, then I could even use a small electric cooling fan if I wanted so.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 02-22-2013, 10:06 PM   #132 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Still tweaking on my Diesel KLR and getting some things sorted out.
It had been getting hard to start lately and I figured the contacts on the bendix were pitted and not carrying current very well.
Well, sure enouigh the contacts were pitted, so I dissasembled it to fix it and lo and behold the starter relay was missing on the bike. Seems this thing has been starting by using the little bitty push buttion on the handle bar as it's only source of juice! All that current through those little contacts, I'm surprised they didn't burn up before the Bendiz did! So, I replaced the Bendix and, BTY, the DEK Chinese CLone engine uses the same Bendix parts as the Yanmar Diesel it copies! Good news there! (I've got a good Alternator Starter rebuild shop here locally!)

Then I wired in a 30 amp solinoid into the starting circuit and it starts MUCH better! But this brings up another shortfall of the Chinese Clone Engines! They don't have enough charger built into them to run a 55 watt headlight even with an LED Tail and turn signals. So, I"m going to be putting in a tiny 40 amp alternator off a lawn mower behind the cylinder to run off a pulley behind the drive pulley to keep the battery charged up. Unless I find a Yanmar Charging set up cheap! The little alternator I've got on it's way was only $99 new!

So, I'll keep you guys updated as progress gets made!

Eventually, I hope to get this thing where I can count on it to get me into town reliably, in the dark if need be, and still get 130 mpg from it!
The Following User Says Thank You to Curtis in Texas For This Useful Post:
Christ (02-22-2013)
Old 02-22-2013, 10:48 PM   #133 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Oh, and my 2 cents on removing the forced fan blades and tin, I'd leave them on because the cylinder is guaranteed not to over heat sitting at a long signal light with it on. And iffy with it removed. We have some signaled intersections where I live that are on 5 minute cycles!

And sometimes I let it sit running to get the engine warmed up and put some charge in the battery.
It certainly isn't going to rob you of that much HP with it on and should it overheat without it, it's not going to be pleasant to push very far.

I've seen Harley Riders avoid some intersections because of the long wait! I don't want to ride that way! One of the reason I don't ride Harley's or Air Cooled Bike anymore!

And should I put some Aero Dynamic body work on it later, the forced fan will make cooling a non issue! Well, less of one any way!
Old 02-22-2013, 11:17 PM   #134 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
...don't leave it running at the intersection... dont' have that problem.

Old 02-23-2013, 11:05 AM   #135 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christ View Post
...don't leave it running at the intersection... dont' have that problem.
That would eat up a battery's charge real quick! Mine takes a lot of amps to get it the little diesel engine going! It's good for about a two dozen starts before it starts to show the strain. (Remember it doesn't have the best charging system on it!)
A dozen stop lights would mean having to stop every so often to recharge the starting battery! Or require two batteries!
Besides, having it futt futt at the lights is half the fun as you see people look and point at the funny sounding motorcycle!

I stopped for fuel once in my little town and saw a guy run away from the pumps and into the station and tell the Clerk some crazy guy on a motorcycle had screwed up and was filling it with diesel fuel. They both ran out the door and pointed at me as I fired it up and drove off. I could tell they were waiting for it to die right there in front of them. But we just smoked away and waved! It was obvious what they were talking about!

After all, who in their right mind, in that small little Texas town, would ride a diesel powered motorcycle!

Last edited by Curtis in Texas; 02-24-2013 at 07:15 PM..
Old 02-24-2013, 04:55 PM   #136 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Would actually be interesting to feature a start-stop system into a Diesel motorcycle. I might consider this feature when I build one from scratch...
Old 02-24-2013, 06:40 PM   #137 (permalink)
Do more with less

OD - '05 Ford Econoline
90 day: 18.64 mpg (US)

Joetta - '86 Volkswagen Jetta Turbo Oil Burner
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 49.71 mpg (US)

Benzilla - '85 Mercedes Benz 300D
90 day: 28.08 mpg (US)
Hi
From scratch, like Wilbur and Orville? They cast their own block and pistons on their flyer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr View Post
Would actually be interesting to feature a start-stop system into a Diesel motorcycle. I might consider this feature when I build one from scratch...

“Before a standing army can rule, the people must be disarmed; as they are in almost every kingdom in Europe.

The supreme power in America cannot enforce unjust laws by the sword; because the whole body of the people are armed.”

Noah Webster, 1787
Old 02-24-2013, 06:45 PM   #138 (permalink)
Do more with less

OD - '05 Ford Econoline
90 day: 18.64 mpg (US)

Joetta - '86 Volkswagen Jetta Turbo Oil Burner
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 49.71 mpg (US)

Benzilla - '85 Mercedes Benz 300D
90 day: 28.08 mpg (US)
How about starting with a 1500-1900 vw diesel engine They are pretty short if mounted transversely. Will make enough power to run down the road and are fairly cheap.

You could run the cam FI belt open, al la Ducati.

“Before a standing army can rule, the people must be disarmed; as they are in almost every kingdom in Europe.

The supreme power in America cannot enforce unjust laws by the sword; because the whole body of the people are armed.”

Noah Webster, 1787
Old 02-24-2013, 10:22 PM   #139 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I would suggest a 3 cyl. industrial engine such as a Kubota 722cc would be right for a streamlined motorcyle.
Old 02-25-2013, 12:45 AM   #140 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varn View Post
From scratch, like Wilbur and Orville? They cast their own block and pistons on their flyer.
I'd actually not go so hardcore, at least not so soon

Reply  Post New Thread