Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Off-Topic Tech
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2013, 01:40 PM   #11 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmay635703 View Post
Bad gas likely works fine in a diesel so long as its blended. Army used to mix diesel oil and gasoline and call it mo-gas.

In a gasser I would mix in a little e85 and call it good.
It'll actually burn fine in older IDI type diesels and certain DI diesels without being blended. I've run my VW IDI on raw gas before... only thing is, it ain't gonna start again if you shut it off, because the pump can't build enough pressure to pop off the injectors with the thinner fuel while trying to start [low RPM].

I prefer to blend it because we already run used oil in the diesel engines [truck, 6.5kw generator, backhoe] and some of the engines aren't fond of the viscosity of the used oil, but still run on it, albeit slightly more smokey than they would be with #2. It's the equivalent of running 'bunker fuel' when you use untreated lube oils, so slightly more smoke is to be expected. I'm still working on getting the parts I need to build a centrifuge to clean the oil better before running it, which should cut down on the smoke some as well.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-18-2013, 03:19 PM   #12 (permalink)
UFO
Master EcoModder

Colorado - '17 Chevrolet Colorado 4x4 LT
90 day: 23.07 mpg (US)
It works well blended with biodiesel in a diesel engine. Makes for a tolerably good anti-gel, and the lower the octane the better.
Christ (09-18-2013)
Old 09-18-2013, 04:17 PM   #13 (permalink)

VW used to recommend mixing up to 20% RUG with your diesel in colder months/climates to aid in starting/running in their diesel engines.

Old 10-30-2013, 05:57 AM   #14 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

1. after long time storing octane rating of gasoline may be slightly lower. so, use it in older engines with lower compression ratio, or without overheating and extremal loads.

2. if light components evaporated, cold start ability of gasoline will suffer. if outside is hot weather it may be not so important. or you can add about 5-10% of something like isopentane for cold weather.
Old 10-30-2013, 01:02 PM   #15 (permalink)

The '98 work van runs it pretty well, but doesn't start up as quickly and the TCC shutters lock/unlock under certain load situations. Typically if it starts doing this, I'll either just push the pedal further to unlock it completely, or let the vehicle slow down [usually happens on light grades where it would normally stay locked around 50MPH or so].

There's also some pinging under heavy accel and heavy load [climbing hills] at any RPM, but it's not so pronounced that I"m actually worried about it.

My LQ9 powered Chevy on the other hand, only suffers from cold start problems and the constant need to replace fuel filters. Other than that, it runs beautifully on the 'bad' fuel from the bulk tank, no pinging or detectable loss of power over running pump gas. Of course, I rarely if ever use the engine to it's full potential of 325hp and 400tq, so any loss there wouldn't be detectable anyway. It's a 7200lb truck that's used only when it's carrying weight, and it still does just dandy at that.

Old 10-30-2013, 01:13 PM   #16 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

if good filtration, water removing, cold starts and lower OR is not a problem - i do not see other possible problems of using this fuel i think there is nothing to worry about.
Old 10-30-2013, 01:15 PM   #17 (permalink)

Yeah I just figured someone might have another idea for using it... I haven't been adding anything to it, and it sits in a bulk tank and gets pumped off about 5 gallon at a time off the top [why I haven't been updating the fuel log for the van] and used in whatever needs gas that day.

I'll probably also use some of it to thin out the waste oil I have once I get a few paychecks in and go buy the centrifuge I was going to build. Aint' got time fa dat.

Old 10-30-2013, 03:22 PM   #18 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Check with the Waste Vegetable Oil crowd.

Some of them cut their WVO with 10% or so of regular unleaded gasoline to get flow in the winter months. If your price is low, they may be willing to drive out for some cheap "winter additives".
Old 11-02-2013, 02:29 PM   #19 (permalink)

I imagine I'd sell some, but I don't know how much... it saves me more money than I'd make off it, so financially speaking, selling it is a bad idea.

Reply  Post New Thread