Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Fossil Fuel Free
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2009, 04:02 PM   #191 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Not trying to be smart but whats wrong with a transformer / rectifier charger? Having a transformer made up with a suitable secondary voltage to suit whatever pack voltage is not very expensive. All that is needed then is a simple circuit that looks at the pack voltage and drops out the charger at a certain point.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 11-25-2009, 04:10 PM   #192 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamj12b View Post
I hate to be a bearer of bad news, but using the controller as a charger as well is very dangerous.
Of course using a controller as a charger is nothing but dumb! (edit: OK, I'm exaggerating, but the cost of extra contactors would probably be greater than the savings) My idea was just to place the charger in the same case and on the same heat sink as a controller, and since the battery-capacitors are allready there, more won't be needed.

This saves money, weight and space

Last edited by lhogberg; 11-25-2009 at 04:29 PM..
Old 11-25-2009, 04:13 PM   #193 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackbauer View Post
Not trying to be smart but whats wrong with a transformer / rectifier charger? Having a transformer made up with a suitable secondary voltage to suit whatever pack voltage is not very expensive. All that is needed then is a simple circuit that looks at the pack voltage and drops out the charger at a certain point.
Since the grid voltage is varying quite a lot, the charger voltage will vary as well and can be over gas voltage. Also a transformer of this size, is very heavy and expensive.
Old 11-25-2009, 05:59 PM   #194 (permalink)
ReVolt Enthusiast

Adam,

Quote:
In order to use the controller as a charger, you would need to rewire the battery from the battery side to the motor side, you would then need to apply some kind of DC power to the battery side of the controller. This would require some large contactors to be able to switch back and fourth.
The controller outputs are BM+, B-, M-, what do you mean by re-wiring the batteries and motor? Do you mean isolate the batteries from the motor using larger contactors? Does that mean you could not share the busbars of the controller between the motor and charger?

Quote:
A better idea, I think, to keep things cheep would to use a power stage that is only 1/5 of the drive controller. This would be 2 MOSFET/diode pairs, capable of 50A.
Could a separate charger PCB containing the (MOSFETs/diodes/charger controller) bolt on to the Revolt’s busbars, heatsink, and use the same enclosure?

-Mark
Old 11-27-2009, 05:26 PM   #195 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

As long as the transformer was designed for a slightly less than full charging voltage and incorporated a simple overvoltage protection circuit i don't see a problem beyond the weight. I'm leaning towards having two taps on the primary that will let me do a fast charge then drop to a float charge. Much as i like the idea of a switchmode charger it doesn't provide isolation unless designed around an almost impossible to source custom hf transformer.
Old 12-01-2009, 01:15 PM   #196 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackbauer View Post
As long as the transformer was designed for a slightly less than full charging voltage and incorporated a simple overvoltage protection circuit i don't see a problem beyond the weight. I'm leaning towards having two taps on the primary that will let me do a fast charge then drop to a float charge. Much as i like the idea of a switchmode charger it doesn't provide isolation unless designed around an almost impossible to source custom hf transformer.
Don't forget that maximum charging voltage has a quite strong temperature dependence. The higher the temperature the lower is the maximum charging voltage (i.e. gas voltage).
Old 12-01-2009, 03:53 PM   #197 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Fair point. Just looking at some easy options.
Old 12-01-2009, 03:56 PM   #198 (permalink)
PaulH

Michael's Electric Beetle - '71 Volkswagen Superbeetle 500000
Thanked 1,202 Times in 765 Posts
instead of a transformer to get you to a rectified voltage of like 300 or something, you could just do a voltage doubler with 2 caps and 2 diodes. It wouldn't be isolated. Is that bad? hehe.
Old 12-01-2009, 03:59 PM   #199 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I'm not sure about the whole isolation issue. My thinking is that the car body should be connected to mains earth while charging.
Old 12-01-2009, 04:04 PM   #200 (permalink)
PaulH

Michael's Electric Beetle - '71 Volkswagen Superbeetle 500000
Thanked 1,202 Times in 765 Posts
That would let you leave out a 25 pound transformer from the design.

Tags
ev charger