Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2021, 10:00 AM   #21 (permalink)
Somewhat crazed

Thanked 1,104 Times in 974 Posts
Hmm if Pi HOLE cancels commercials on my roku.......... between the Roku and web programs, commercial content is almost as bad as over the air TV.

Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-10-2021, 11:38 AM   #22 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Prius Plug-in - '12 Toyota Prius Plug-in
90 day: 57.64 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)
Thanked 4,380 Times in 3,354 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotrsko View Post
Hmm if Pi HOLE cancels commercials on my roku.......... between the Roku and web programs, commercial content is almost as bad as over the air TV.
While I don't watch much TV, when I do, I schedule the recording via Plex. After recording, it automatically detects commercials, cuts them out, and re-encodes the video. I'll go years now without seeing a TV ad, so I don't even know what's out there these days.

I'm as invulnerable to advertising as they come. Can't recall the last thing I've bought that I've even seen an advertisement for. Wish everyone were more resilient so we had no advertising, or at least they would simply be informative.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
Old 09-10-2021, 12:52 PM   #23 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,554 Times in 7,041 Posts
Quote:
Can't recall the last thing I've bought that I've even seen an advertisement for. Wish everyone were more resilient so we had no advertising, or at least they would simply be informative.
There's a long list of things I haven't bought, that I've seen ads for. Possibly the last thing was the movie Alita, Battle Angel. Drove all the was to Federal Way to watch it with my son.

I think advertising ruined the WWW. It would still have grown without ads, just a little slower.

Old 09-10-2021, 01:40 PM   #24 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
There's a long list of things I haven't bought, that I've seen ads for. Possibly the last thing was the movie Alita, Battle Angel. Drove all the was to Federal Way to watch it with my son.

I think advertising ruined the WWW. It would still have grown without ads, just a little slower.
The only clear instance I can remember of advertising working was about 15 years ago when I was hungry, watching TV with my dad, and a commercial for the Cowboy pizza came on. I knew I had been manipulated in that moment, and we drove to Papa Murphy's and bought a Cowboy pizza.

Trailers can certainly influence me, but mostly just making known that a movie with a certain subject matter exists.

Things I already know exist seem pointless to advertise. There's no amount of Coke commercials that will make me buy more Coke. I'm going to buy the cheap, unadvertised knockoff stuff. I always seek unadvertised goods where possible because I don't like a portion of my purchase price going towards people attempting to manipulate me.

BTW, the Tesla strategy always appealed to me. I'd like to take it another step further though and have my brand have no logo. You'd know what car it was by the fact that it had no branding at all, and never saw a commercial for it. It would be in rebellion of traditional manipulation tactics.

Old 09-10-2021, 05:33 PM   #25 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,622 Times in 1,447 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
The only clear instance I can remember of advertising working was about 15 years ago when I was hungry, watching TV with my dad, and a commercial for the Cowboy pizza came on. I knew I had been manipulated in that moment, and we drove to Papa Murphy's and bought a Cowboy pizza.
There is always some moment when we are willing to get the seemingly most convenient stuff available, and this may be the reason why fast-food ads are so common. With so much competition, the one we see the first ad tends to be the first one we consider.

Quote:
Things I already know exist seem pointless to advertise.
Even some products which become a genericized trademark, such as BomBril steel sponges in Brazil, often resort to a simpler advertising mostly to avoid losing much foothold to emerging competitors.

Quote:
There's no amount of Coke commercials that will make me buy more Coke. I'm going to buy the cheap, unadvertised knockoff stuff. I always seek unadvertised goods where possible because I don't like a portion of my purchase price going towards people attempting to manipulate me.
Sometimes an ad might backfire, leading to boycotts and such for instance. When it comes to looking out for "unadvertised" stuff, that's interesting once someone gets familiar with products which often have a strictly regional availability, even though as a matter of convenience most people simply go for the mainstream stuff. But anyway, nowadays so many people prefer to be spoon-fed instead of searching for whatever eventually might serve them better and often at a lower cost.
Old 09-10-2021, 05:43 PM   #26 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr View Post
But anyway, nowadays so many people prefer to be spoon-fed instead of searching for whatever eventually might serve them better and often at a lower cost.
At stores, I seek out the bottom and top shelves to find the best value, as I know it won't be found at eye level. Eye level is where people pay too much for things.

Old 09-10-2021, 05:46 PM   #27 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,622 Times in 1,447 Posts
Quote:
At stores, I seek out the bottom and top shelves to find the best value, as I know it won't be found at eye level. Eye level is where people pay too much for things.
This trick had been useful most of the time to avoid food items nearing their expiration date.
Old 09-11-2021, 09:15 AM   #28 (permalink)
Somewhat crazed

Thanked 1,104 Times in 974 Posts
Quote:
While I don't watch much TV, when I do, I schedule the recording via Plex. After recording, it automatically detects commercials, cuts them out, and re-encodes the video. .
How do you do that while streaming Nat Geo or PBS terra/eons? I can't record that afaik. All my over the air is recorded and the commercials killed.

Oh it's a subscription. Over my dead checkbook.
Old 09-11-2021, 12:05 PM   #29 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotrsko View Post
How do you do that while streaming Nat Geo or PBS terra/eons? I can't record that afaik. All my over the air is recorded and the commercials killed.

Oh it's a subscription. Over my dead checkbook.
I used the free version of Plex for years and finally decided to purchase the lifetime "subscription" for $100. Most features are free, but recording OTA TV isn't.

The funny thing is I don't even have the antenna connected to our TV. It goes to Plex, and if we want to watch OTA on the TV, I run the Plex app on it so I can pause, record, etc. Used to watch football before they became a political propaganda machine... same with the olympics...

I'm thinking of starting a sports team where the best players are paid to compete, and injury is an accepted risk considering their multimillion dollar salaries.

I'm also thinking of starting a global competition where nation's best athletes compete against each other in their respective dimorphic sex divisions. I've got less enthusiasm for this though since it will likely lose money, the Russians will cheat, and the Chinese will abuse their athletes.

Old 09-11-2021, 04:06 PM   #30 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,554 Times in 7,041 Posts
What [is a/are] terra/eons?