Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed
Register Now
 Register Now

View Poll Results: Do you stop at stop signs?
Always stop at signs & lights 84 55.63%
Drive through signs when nobody around, always stop at lights 56 37.09%
Drive through signs & lights when nobody around 11 7.28%
Voters: 151. You may not vote on this poll

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2011, 10:58 AM   #31 (permalink)
I have to start over?

Big inefficient truck - '94 Dodge Ram 2500
90 day: 12.1 mpg (US)

Honda Civic - '84 Honda Civic DX Hatchback
Wow. At least Texas highway engineers don't put lights in specifically to stop people who go too fast or just if any poor soul is approaching. The worst we get here is a light that is timed grossly wrong because the lazy planners don't ever RESEARCH and adjust the light timings. And stop signs.

Don't even get me started on engineers/designers who don't research...

Until a few years ago, there was a light adjacent to our neighborhood. I tell you, it would wait 10 minutes for the people leaving the neighborhood before it would change. Then it would stay green for 5 seconds. Finally they adjusted it but it needs a shorter wait time between a car pulling up and it changing.

If I was that upset about the shrubs blocking the view, I might just go cut them all down. Or hire the tree trimming company that the city/jurisdiction uses (around here it's Asplundh)

That reminds me... there's an intersection at a neighborhood I visit often (with a stop sign). A small residential street leading into a 4 lane suburban street (40 mph limit). Someone, who happens to own the corner house on the left, seems to think that it is a good idea to have a row of big bushes planted against his fence (near the bigger street) to obscure the already bad sight line to make it impossible to see if anyone is approaching for more than 35ish meters. If I'm feeling especially mad one day, I may just remove that with a cordless sawzall and a pruning blade... but I doubt that I'll do it anytime soon.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-15-2011, 12:38 PM   #32 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I stop at stop signs even though most of them should be yield signs.
Old 06-15-2011, 04:10 PM   #33 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Canyon - '07 GMC Canyon 2wd regular cab
90 day: 24.95 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaleMelanesian View Post
There are some that really should be yield signs instead. I still stop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angmaar View Post
I stop at stop signs even though most of them should be yield signs.

I couldn't agree more - especially is areas that are basically deserted. Stop signs all over the place just make things worse.
Old 06-15-2011, 07:42 PM   #34 (permalink)
Dad
EcoModding Lurker

10 DGC - '10 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT
90 day: 22.41 mpg (US)

05 CTD - '05 Dodge Ram 2500 SLT

10 JKU - '10 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 4X4 Sport
90 day: 19.66 mpg (US)
There's a completely worthless 3-way stop in my office complex parking lot. I always coast right through it. I also tend to roll stops in my neighborhood. I won't roll through signal-controlled intersections though.
Old 06-15-2011, 07:47 PM   #35 (permalink)
I have to start over?

Big inefficient truck - '94 Dodge Ram 2500
90 day: 12.1 mpg (US)

Honda Civic - '84 Honda Civic DX Hatchback
Oh yah, parking lots. I pretty much ignore those and just drive very carefully. Stop if I need to stop and ignore everything if I'm alone, etc
Old 06-15-2011, 11:54 PM   #36 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Because I've had driving jobs most of my life, I value having my license VERY SERIOUSLY!!! I'm going to stop for signs/lights. The tiny bit of fuel saved: will it cover a potential ticket, and insurance rate increases??

I get rather annoyed when I see someone who won't STAY at a red light because they don't feel like it!

As for the cyclists (bicycle)... I see plenty of radical ones around Portland who ignore all laws thereby INFLAMING auto drivers against them. This problem of aggressive warfare between the two groups has grown immensely in the last few yrs. Many cyclists, because of their blatant rudeness are looked upon with as much hate as any Harley biker could be... Mix a redneck PU guy w a preppy know it all bicycle rider: its not pretty!

In areas where stop signs seem to be put up as almost just a simple tradition, instead of thinking fresher, officials should be reminded that the stop not only uses more gas, but causes more pollution as well. Thankfully roundabouts are increasing quite a bit around here; but I'm sure thats not the case everywhere.

It's kind of ironic that a total urbanite who maybe doesn't go more than 5 miles a day has so many options...bus/bike/walk/moped/scooter... even the most gas sucking V8 in an old car works as depreciation is gone, they inherently hold together well (60's-early70's) repair cheap, and as long as they are not driven far; won't cost much.

Then at the other end; is the country guy w little to no stoplights/signs to worry with, but must travel many miles to get somewhere, so a mpg veh. becomes a high need, but most of the that kind of driving is the most peaceful and mellow.

Stuck in the middle(just like the song) is the supposed utopia of life where most of the population is, all clashing light to light, with the new'hoods springing up stopsigns like rabbits. It's probably the most difficult place to drive "happy!"

I've chosen country for the peace and "FLOW". I realize not everyone can do that. I'd still rather put up w a pesky rooster than to hear 9mm's and fire/police sirens all the time!

In conclusion, if you pedal bikes, please think how you appear to others. A full stop won't cost you any gas, and might save your life.

Peace to all!
The Following User Says Thank You to larrybuck For This Useful Post:
Ironroad40 (01-14-2012)
Old 06-16-2011, 12:14 AM   #37 (permalink)
n00b.... sortof..

silver fire - '03 Mazda Protege5
90 day: 32.52 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daox View Post
I won't say I completely stop every time, but I do slow to very near stopped. People that run stop signs annoy the crap out of me, same with people who can't be bothered to move their hand 6 inches or less to flip their blinker on.
exactly the same for me.
I "roll" through most stop signs, but by rolling I mean Im going slow enough it doesnt even measure on the speedo then use 2nd gear.
but I ALWAYS stop at lights, and cannot understand why some people choose not to ?

Old 06-16-2011, 12:37 AM   #38 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I do. With the states being so broke (Especially Illinois !) tickets have doubled in price and many cops are on the lookout lately to ticket you for anything !!
Old 06-16-2011, 03:52 PM   #39 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Taffy R18 - '11 Honda Civic LX Sedan
90 day: 34.26 mpg (US)

Diamond K24 - '13 Honda CR-V EX AWD
90 day: 28.16 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by larrybuck View Post
Because I've had driving jobs most of my life, I value having my license VERY SERIOUSLY!!! I'm going to stop for signs/lights. The tiny bit of fuel saved: will it cover a potential ticket, and insurance rate increases??

I get rather annoyed when I see someone who won't STAY at a red light because they don't feel like it!

As for the cyclists (bicycle)... I see plenty of radical ones around Portland who ignore all laws thereby INFLAMING auto drivers against them. This problem of aggressive warfare between the two groups has grown immensely in the last few yrs. Many cyclists, because of their blatant rudeness are looked upon with as much hate as any Harley biker could be... Mix a redneck PU guy w a preppy know it all bicycle rider: its not pretty!

In areas where stop signs seem to be put up as almost just a simple tradition, instead of thinking fresher, officials should be reminded that the stop not only uses more gas, but causes more pollution as well. Thankfully roundabouts are increasing quite a bit around here; but I'm sure thats not the case everywhere.

It's kind of ironic that a total urbanite who maybe doesn't go more than 5 miles a day has so many options...bus/bike/walk/moped/scooter... even the most gas sucking V8 in an old car works as depreciation is gone, they inherently hold together well (60's-early70's) repair cheap, and as long as they are not driven far; won't cost much.

Then at the other end; is the country guy w little to no stoplights/signs to worry with, but must travel many miles to get somewhere, so a mpg veh. becomes a high need, but most of the that kind of driving is the most peaceful and mellow.

Stuck in the middle(just like the song) is the supposed utopia of life where most of the population is, all clashing light to light, with the new'hoods springing up stopsigns like rabbits. It's probably the most difficult place to drive "happy!"

I've chosen country for the peace and "FLOW". I realize not everyone can do that. I'd still rather put up w a pesky rooster than to hear 9mm's and fire/police sirens all the time!

In conclusion, if you pedal bikes, please think how you appear to others. A full stop won't cost you any gas, and might save your life.

Peace to all!
Regarding cyclist behavior on the road, you might find this blog post from "Joey Bike" an interesting read. It provides and interesting perspective from behind the handle bars of a New Orleans commuter. Bicycling New Orleans: Bending The Rules of the Road - Class 101

-Robert
Old 06-16-2011, 05:16 PM   #40 (permalink)
The PRC.

Any cyclist running red light = moron.

TBH anyone running red light = moron.