Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2019, 04:33 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Hypermiler logo - warning to others?

Hi,

I'm really here to learn. I doubt I'll qualify as a hypermiler.

My current HA does 8.86 L/100 km when I drive semi sensible.

When I do a full tank at 85 km/hr on the highway then it goes to 7.64 L/100 km. For you yanks that's 30.8 MPG.

I'll be buying a new Accord next month (1.5T). Per some on the Drive Accord forum they are hitting 45 MPG in good conditions and very conservative driving. Not at all bad.

BUT my main concern is safety. The route to work is traffic flow at 100 - 120 km/hr. (Legal is 60 - 100 km/hr). I drive on the right edge of the right lane - tires touching the white paint...

Is there such a thing as a recognized "hypermiler" logo?

I intend to add lights to the tail of the car also so people are warned well in advance... is there a standard?

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-06-2019, 05:40 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Toby - '13 Toyota Prius C
90 day: 64.01 mpg (US)

Daz - '15 Mazda 3 iTouring w/ Tech Package
90 day: 38.2 mpg (US)
Hi, welcome to Ecomodder.

My dad works for a Honda dealership and drives a demo car. The latest Accords with the 1.5T he's driven would get him around 38 MPG city, 44 MPG highway with completely normal driving. The 1.5T is truly an efficient engine to be putting out those numbers on such a large car without any hypermiling. Even my smaller '04 Civic I used to have wasn't quite as efficient as that prior to mods and hypermiling.

Regarding a hypermiling standard, when I drive slow, I just drive slow. Driving slow on the highway means looking back out the rearview mirror more often. You are the odd one out, therefore it is up to you to ensure that you are driving safely. Oftentimes this means turning on the hazards for a few blinks when a semi truck is approaching or when a car is approaching too fast and/or not paying attention. If traffic is unusually thick I am sometimes obligated to speed up to avoid having a pack of cars angrily stuck behind me in the right lane. Hypermiling is no good if it is not safe. Safety must always come first. I tend to argue that hypermilers are generally safer drivers because they are forced to pay attention to their surroundings. If someone isn't doing that, then they shouldn't doing any kind of extreme hypermiling.

You could get an Ecomodder sticker and put that on the back, or there are MPG stickers you can order online that might get the point across to any few of the logical drivers left in the world.

2015 Mazda 3 iTouring Hatchback w/ Tech Package (wife's car)
Old 04-06-2019, 05:47 PM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Thks. That's why I want to add info. To inform others. Why I'll be adding lights as well (focussed LED's that will be visible over 1 km away in daylight is my goal. With a delta-V of 35 km/hr that gives them 2 minutes to ponder what's up...).

I'm in XXXXXX so MPG is meaningless two ways.

Really looking for a "sign" with universal meaning.

Maybe time to design something and promote it internationally?
Old 04-06-2019, 05:49 PM   #4 (permalink)
Rat Racer

Al the Third, year four - '13 Honda Fit Base
Team Honda
90 day: 42.9 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,922 Times in 1,246 Posts
Slower cars should notify the rest of the world of their presence simply by being in the slow lane. Having your lights on might be a nice touch, but at some point, there's only so much you can do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdog44 View Post
Transmission type Efficiency
Manual neutral engine off.100% @MPG <----- Fun Fact.
Manual 1:1 gear ratio .......98%
CVT belt ............................88%
Automatic .........................86%

The Following User Says Thank You to Fat Charlie For This Useful Post:
RedDevil (04-07-2019)
Old 04-06-2019, 05:57 PM   #5 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

@Fat Charlie: it's rare here to see anyone in the 60 km/hr minimum "slow lane" doing less than about 95 km/hr. I'm aiming to be at 85 km/hr. This has worked well in light traffic over the past 2 years but there have been a few blaring horns of frustration as people pass. A couple weeks ago an 18 wheeler hugged me pretty close.

This is why I want something very visible added (I'll have a mod shop add lights) but I am hoping for something that is universal. (Not English and not "miles"). Rather something that suggests "green economy".

Thx!

PS: As to your "Signature block" above, Honda are quoting its best mileage for the CVT, not for their 6 speed MT (new Honda Accord's). It could be that absolute best using best technique is with the 6 speed MT but people are posting actuals with the CVT that are very good...
Old 04-06-2019, 07:08 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanTheBeast2 View Post
Thks. That's why I want to add info. To inform others. Why I'll be adding lights as well (focussed LED's that will be visible over 1 km away in daylight is my goal. With a delta-V of 35 km/hr that gives them 2 minutes to ponder what's up...).
Be sure to post pictures!

Quote:
I'm in XXXXX so MPG is meaningless two ways.

Really looking for a "sign" with universal meaning.

Maybe time to design something and promote it internationally?
MPG stickers are only some of the ones they have out there. Cafe Press seems to have a good selection of other ones. Haven't tried other efficiency-related search queries: https://www.cafepress.com/+gas-mileage+bumper-stickers

Quote:
PS: As to your "Signature block" above, Honda are quoting its best mileage for the CVT, not for their 6 speed MT (new Honda Accord's). It could be that absolute best using best technique is with the 6 speed MT but people are posting actuals with the CVT that are very good...
Today's manuals are geared overly short for sportier driving, thus handicapping them. Geared the same, a manual transmission will return better fuel economy than an automatic.

Old 04-06-2019, 07:12 PM   #7 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Thx.

Economy is in top gear and that is not a 'sporty' gear ... that's what the lower 4 are for.'

It's the CVT I was referring to for comparison - not AT.
Old 04-06-2019, 07:16 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Thx.

Economy is in top gear and that is not a 'sporty' gear ... that's what the lower 4 are for.'

It's the CVT I was referring to for comparison - not AT.
Top gear does not necessarily mean good fuel economy if that top gear is short, or if the final drive is short.

A Fit manual runs close to 4000 RPMs at highway speed in top gear. Their CVT is closer to 3000 RPMs, hence why the CVT returns better fuel economy. If both ran at the same RPM (i.e. had the "same gearing") at the same speed, the manual would win.

Plus, a manual transmission allows you to control the car's performance better, allowing for much greater hypermiling potential. Here's a test that was performed between the CVT and manual transmissions of the Nissan Micra: https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthre...cra-30059.html

Old 04-06-2019, 07:31 PM   #9 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Not to debate. But yer cherry picking. I'm done with it.
Old 04-06-2019, 07:50 PM   #10 (permalink)
Rat Racer

Al the Third, year four - '13 Honda Fit Base
Team Honda
90 day: 42.9 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,922 Times in 1,246 Posts
Quote:
@Fat Charlie: it's rare here to see anyone in the 60 km/hr minimum "slow lane" doing less than about 95 km/hr.
It's not about numbers, it's about relative speed. By being on the right, you're announcing that you've gotten as far out of the way as you can. And yes, people in the right lane are just as responsible as everyone else for observing and reacting to the world around them.

Quote:
Economy is in neutral, silly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdog44 View Post
Transmission type Efficiency
Manual neutral engine off.100% @MPG <----- Fun Fact.
Manual 1:1 gear ratio .......98%
CVT belt ............................88%
Automatic .........................86%

Reply  Post New Thread