Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now
 

Reply  Post New Thread
 
Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2011, 03:38 PM   #31 (permalink)
dude...wait...what?
 
Odin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Cincinnati Ohio
Posts: 161

Diesel Rx-7 - '82 Mazda Rx-7 GSL

merc 300d - '82 Mercedes-benz 300d dt

b2200 diesel - '84 Mazda b2200 D
Thanks: 6
Thanked 12 Times in 11 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cd View Post
Investigating all the facts is the proper way to go about things, but in the case of the oil companies, all i have to do is look at companies such as Exxon and BP.
You don't have to do much research at all to plainly see the evil.
You have to be truly blinded by greed to not see the obvious corruption and lack of respect for human life and the Environment that these corporations are guilty of.
pretty much sums it up right there

  Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

   
Old 02-26-2011, 08:00 PM   #32 (permalink)
Smeghead
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: South Central AK
Posts: 933

escort - '99 ford escort sport
90 day: 42.38 mpg (US)

scoobaru - '02 Subaru Forester s
90 day: 28.65 mpg (US)
Thanks: 32
Thanked 145 Times in 97 Posts
It is interesting to me that the frustration is directed at the corporation. A corporation can not be evil or good or any mix their of. The people running them on the other hand.
__________________

Learn from the mistakes of others, that way when you mess up you can do so in new and interesting ways.

One mile of road will take you one mile, one mile of runway can take you around the world.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 09:55 PM   #33 (permalink)
n00b.... sortof..
 
d0sitmatr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: SFL
Posts: 345

silver fire - '03 Mazda Protege5
90 day: 32.52 mpg (US)
Thanks: 37
Thanked 19 Times in 18 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bestclimb View Post
It is interesting to me that the frustration is directed at the corporation. A corporation can not be evil or good or any mix their of. The people running them on the other hand.
it could be argued the people running the corporation *are* the corporation, seeing as they are directly representing said corporation.
__________________
~Mike

  Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 10:37 PM   #34 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Alberta Canada
Posts: 744

redyaris - '07 Toyota Yaris
Team Toyota
90 day: 45.54 mpg (US)

Gray - '07 Suzuki GS500 F
Motorcycle
90 day: 70.4 mpg (US)

streamliner1 - '83 Honda VT500 streamliner
Motorcycle
90 day: 75.63 mpg (US)

White Whale - '12 Sprinter 2500 Cargo Van
90 day: 22.01 mpg (US)
Thanks: 81
Thanked 75 Times in 67 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bestclimb View Post
It is interesting to me that the frustration is directed at the corporation. A corporation can not be evil or good or any mix their of. The people running them on the other hand.
I believe that a corperation achieved the legal status of person in the first half of the 20th century. The fun hasn't stoped since.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 12:16 AM   #35 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Earth
Posts: 5,209
Thanks: 225
Thanked 807 Times in 591 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by redyaris View Post
How is an axe ground for profit different than an axe ground for liability cases or political actavism. What would make one more trust werthy than the other? I would suggest to you that the range of trust werthyness is the same for all three groups.
And I wouldn't really disagree. But the thing is, I don't really TRUST any of them at all. Rather, I work on what I know of their motivations. A corporation (if its management is intelligent, which is not a given) wants to go on making a profit from me, and from the rest of its customers, which means that it will act in ways which its management believes will maximize profit, and which will allow it to go on making that profit in the future.

The liability lawyer is motivated by a desire to collect maximum damages, and thus is motivated to distort the facts & play on emotions in order to win large judgements. The political activists want to gain power for their faction, and thus have not even the restraint of potentially being cited for contempt to restrain their distortions & outright lies - which ALL political activists resort to, whenever it suits their ends.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 12:21 AM   #36 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Earth
Posts: 5,209
Thanks: 225
Thanked 807 Times in 591 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odin View Post
because it isn't a conspiracy theory. They want to run gas as long as possible because there isn't near as much money with EV tech...
Which seems to be a rather circular argument. Seems as though you're constructing this false argument that there's less money in selling batteries plus oil than in selling oil alone, simply to explain your belief that they're blocking the technology. I'll admit that it's possible that Chevron's management could really think this, but it doesn't seem at all likely.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 01:25 AM   #37 (permalink)
Pishtaco
 
SentraSE-R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bay Area, California
Posts: 1,485

Mean Green Toaster Machine - '06 Scion xB
Team Toyota
90 day: 48.92 mpg (US)
Thanks: 56
Thanked 285 Times in 181 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
And I wouldn't really disagree. But the thing is, I don't really TRUST any of them at all. Rather, I work on what I know of their motivations. A corporation (if its management is intelligent, which is not a given) wants to go on making a profit from me, and from the rest of its customers, which means that it will act in ways which its management believes will maximize profit, and which will allow it to go on making that profit in the future.

The liability lawyer is motivated by a desire to collect maximum damages, and thus is motivated to distort the facts & play on emotions in order to win large judgements. The political activists want to gain power for their faction, and thus have not even the restraint of potentially being cited for contempt to restrain their distortions & outright lies - which ALL political activists resort to, whenever it suits their ends.
You wear rose-tinted glasses when you look at corporations, and take them off when assessing liability lawyers and political activists. History is chock full of corporate maximum profit examples that had no plans whatsoever for the corporation's future. The recent example of PG&E failing to pressure test its gas pipeline that blew up in San Bruno, CA is one. BP's failure to have an operational or backup blowout preventer on the Deepwater Horizon is another. How about Arthur Andersen's classic collapse? Or we can skip the niceties and just use Enron, Earl Jones, Allen Stanford or Bernie Madoff to blow your claim about corporations planning for future profits. I'll bet the list of crooked corporations that made the headlines in the past 3 years would outnumber all the political activist examples you could find in the entire history of the United States.
__________________
Darrell

Boycotting Exxon since 1989, BP since 2010
Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac? George Carlin
Mean Green Toaster Machine
49.5 mpg avg over 53,000 miles. 176% of '08 EPA
Best flat drive 94.5 mpg for 10.1 mi
Longest tank 1033 km (642 mi) on 10.56 gal = 60.8 mpg
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 03:14 AM   #38 (permalink)
dude...wait...what?
 
Odin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Cincinnati Ohio
Posts: 161

Diesel Rx-7 - '82 Mazda Rx-7 GSL

merc 300d - '82 Mercedes-benz 300d dt

b2200 diesel - '84 Mazda b2200 D
Thanks: 6
Thanked 12 Times in 11 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
Which seems to be a rather circular argument. Seems as though you're constructing this false argument that there's less money in selling batteries plus oil than in selling oil alone, simply to explain your belief that they're blocking the technology. I'll admit that it's possible that Chevron's management could really think this, but it doesn't seem at all likely.
just because you refuse to look at evidence, doesn't mean its not there.
__________________
82 rx7 diesel
82 300d diesel
84 b2200 diesel

All veggie, all the time!
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 12:56 PM   #39 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Earth
Posts: 5,209
Thanks: 225
Thanked 807 Times in 591 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odin View Post
just because you refuse to look at evidence, doesn't mean its not there.
And just because you've decided to see evidence in random patterns doesn't mean it's really there :-)

It's really down to evolutionary neurobiology: the human brain has evolved to be a very good pattern-detector. It's so good that it can even see patterns that don't exist. After all, what's the evolutionary cost of thinking you see a tiger that's not really there, versus the cost of not seeing the one that is? So you look at something random - clouds, leaves against the sky, the texture of a ceiling - let your mind unfocus a bit, and you'll start seeing all sorts of things. That's why people can see Jesus in a scorched tortilla, or a corporate conspiracy in perfectly rational acts.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 02:40 PM   #40 (permalink)
dude...wait...what?
 
Odin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Cincinnati Ohio
Posts: 161

Diesel Rx-7 - '82 Mazda Rx-7 GSL

merc 300d - '82 Mercedes-benz 300d dt

b2200 diesel - '84 Mazda b2200 D
Thanks: 6
Thanked 12 Times in 11 Posts
Your explanation has nothing to do with anything-
chevron (a company with a major history of anti anything not oil) holds majority share of NiMH battery pattens/ many company's have tried to buy rights to produce these batteries for electric cars/ Cheveron has said NO every single time even though many have tried.

This isn't marry magdalen in a grilled cheese sandwich this is monopolizing a market, Which by US law is illegal. They are breaking the law, end of story.
try using google to look at the track records of these company's, then defend them.

__________________
82 rx7 diesel
82 300d diesel
84 b2200 diesel

All veggie, all the time!
  Reply With Quote
Reply  Post New Thread


Thread Tools




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2
All content copyright EcoModder.com