Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Success Stories
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2021, 12:57 PM   #21 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Suzuki Celerio 2015 - '15 Suzuki Celerio
90 day: 71.25 mpg (US)
Perhaps the car also simple runs better on the V-Power? I'm not really a car expert, but one thing I noticed is that my car runs better on normal Super E5 ( available in Germany ) and on the V-Power, it runs even better.

Not sure if I'm finally able to post my Spritmonitor, I guess not? But with E10 the consumption is really worse, max 27km/l vs 31km/l that I was able to get max with the V-Power.

spritmonitor.de/en/detail/915384.html

The Following User Says Thank You to Zunigrijje For This Useful Post:
Ecky (07-08-2021)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-08-2021, 01:50 PM   #22 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

ND Miata - '15 Mazda MX-5 Special Package
90 day: 40.51 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,515 Times in 1,555 Posts
I can only speculate, honestly. On the one hand, whatever works. On the other, maybe you can do some investigation? See if your economy is half better with half a tank of each?
Old 07-09-2021, 01:43 AM   #23 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zunigrijje View Post
Perhaps the car also simple runs better on the V-Power?
Quite possible I think. To get the best power & torque out of a competition engine it has to be mapped to suit the fuel; if we change the fuel we change the mapping. I see no reason why the same would not be true when trying to improve economy rather than performance. I assume you do not change the tune of the car when you change fuels. If the set-up on your car happens to suit V-Power this might explain the results you are getting. So perhaps the conclusion is that it is the combination of fuel and car which is important and changing to V-Power could be a good move in some cars but not in others.
Old 07-09-2021, 02:13 AM   #24 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Yes clearly you need to try it: I also tried discount Euro 98 and had worse fuel economy, than with normal gasoline.
Old 07-09-2021, 06:57 PM   #25 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDMCF View Post
Could you give more info about the auxiliary tanks? Did the driver have to manually select the auxiliary tank when starting from cold, then switch back when the engine was warm? Or was it automated somehow?
The auxiliary tanks were quite small, some didn't even hold an entire litre of gasoline, and were fitted under the hood. I have pictures of the engine bay of an early Dacia Logan showing clearly the auxiliary cold-start tank, gonna find them and try to upload here. Older dedicated-ethanol cars still fitted with a carburettor-fed engine had the gasoline tank selected manually enabling the gasoline to mix inside the carburettor bowl with whatever remaining alcohol from previous driving, but when EFI came around it was possible to start only with gasoline. Later on, I don't remember clearly when, it became common for the gasoline inside the auxiliary tank to get automatically injected at an ambient temperature which may vary according to each model, as long as there was gasoline on the auxiliary tank which many people didn't even bother to fill up. Around 2010 to 2011 the electric heating of the injectors to enable a quicker vaporizing of ethanol started to become mainstream on Brazilian flexfuel cars.

Quote:
This reminds me that Jaguars used to have twin tanks with a dashboard switch to select which one to use.
A similar setup was fitted to 4WD versions of the Ford Pampa coupé-utility.

Quote:
Is there any milage (pardon the pun) in adopting that approach as a mod? Perhaps use one grade of fuel for starting or faster driving and a cheaper grade fuel for easy cruising. Has anyone done anything like that?
AFAIK only some tractors and a handful of Swedish cars from the '80s (mostly a Saab model which I don't remember exactly) meant to operate with kerosene relied on a dual-tank setup for starting with gasoline until the engine temperature became safe to turn to kerosene.
Old 08-08-2021, 04:05 PM   #26 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The SCUD - '15 Fiat Scudo L2
Quote:
My theory was, that because of V-Power not containing bio-ethanol. That I should be able to drive more fuel efficient.
Well it turns out it's true!
Sure
People are even washing ethanol out of fuel ...

Less energy in ethanol than in fuel

Quote:
The V-Power is € 0,213 more expensive in Belgium, then the E10.
It's always the most expensive in Belgium, selling @ max allowed price
Same goes for Total Excellium fuels

V-Power diesel and equivalents from other brands, never were a valuable option:
You could never get the price premium back through reduced fuel cost

Quote:
So it turns out I'm able to do almost 32KM/L
With E10 I'm able to do max 27KM/L, so per KM tanking the V-Power actually makes the car drive more fuel efficient.
The difference seems huge

But if correct, almost 1/5 increase in FE for 1/7 increase in price is a profit

Old 08-08-2021, 04:20 PM   #27 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The SCUD - '15 Fiat Scudo L2
Quote:
Perhaps the car also simple runs better on the V-Power?
It is the better fuel, with higher octane 98 and the higher energy content

(alcohol also raises octane, but yeah ... that doesn't say it all)

And the car might be set up for it - see instruction manual

Quote:
Not sure if I'm finally able to post my Spritmonitor, I guess not?
Spritmonitor has BB code you could post in your signature, giving a pump icon with your FE, and if you want that, a link to it

I've used them before

This is where to find it:

You can also control the units to be displayed - I use L/100km

For my van, it looks like this:

(URL=https://www.spritmonitor.de/en/detail/1124642.html] (IMG]http://images.spritmonitor.de/1124642_5.png[/IMG)[/URL)

Replace ( and ) with square brackets before and after URL and IMG

Last edited by euromodder; 08-08-2021 at 04:25 PM.. Reason: somehow the code tags DO display code whereas they shouldn't
Old 08-08-2021, 05:00 PM   #28 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I couldn't post Spritmonitor because of not having enough posts: anyway I also filled up with V-Power in Luxemburg, it's about € 0,22 cheaper. The high record of 31,6KM/L I was not able to maintain, perhaps also because I got my airco condensor fixed and I can imagine it hurts fuel economy a bit when your car is being fixed.

The last two fillings where both 29KM/L but that's combined use, where when I set the record: it was only highway and not city roads at all. I must say though, the price in Belgium has been going up and it hasn't go down anymore.

https://www.spritmonitor.de/en/detail/915384.html
Old 08-10-2021, 01:43 AM   #29 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by euromodder View Post
People are even washing ethanol out of fuel
It's quite risky, considering ethanol is often used to keep the octane rating within the specification.
Old 10-13-2021, 03:48 AM   #30 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Renault - '06 Renault Megane II
90 day: 38.41 mpg (US)
Hmm, in my station the V-Power shell has E5. And in Suzuki there is almost no difference in fuel consumption, but the manual says to use 98PB or higher if the temperature outside will be higher than 30 degrees. Only above 30 degrees outside, the use of 98Pb reduced fuel consumption by an average of 0.5 liters less.

Reply  Post New Thread