Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Success Stories
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2021, 09:48 AM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Suzuki Celerio 2015 - '15 Suzuki Celerio
90 day: 71.25 mpg (US)
E10 vs Shell V-Power ( Benelux Europe )

I have been successfully comparing E10 which has become, the new Euro 95 in Belgium, The Netherlands and Luxemburg. My theory was, that because of V-Power not containing bio-ethanol. That I should be able to drive more fuel efficient.

Well it turns out it's true! So not a lie, which most car owners who can't control their right feet claim it to be. The V-Power is € 0,213 more expensive in Belgium, then the E10. Atleast at Shell Express Maaseik in Belgium.

So it turns out I'm able to do almost 32KM/L when almost exclusively driving on the highway and paying attention to the real-time fuel consumption metre. With E10 I'm able to do max 27KM/L, so per KM tanking the V-Power actually makes the car drive more fuel efficient.

Also see my Spritmonitor, I kept track of E10 for a longer period in the past and also tried cheaper Euro 98 from Gabriels. A discount fuel station, and the fuel consumption was worse than normal Super E5.

I'm driving a Suzuki Celerio: Dutch Suzuki Celerio, with K10C engine and Cruisecontrol.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-02-2021, 10:20 AM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Aerospyder - '00 Toyota MR2 Spyder
Team Toyota
90 day: 41.98 mpg (US)

Simme - '83 IFA Simson Suhl S51
Motorcycle
90 day: 76.59 mpg (US)
Interesting, I'm usualy running 95 RON E5 from the cheapest local gasstation.
I figured that since my engine is NA and doesn't have a high compression ratio, anything more would be a waste.
But I might run a test tank with higher octane fuel.
Old 07-02-2021, 10:37 AM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autobahnschleicher View Post
Interesting, I'm usualy running 95 RON E5 from the cheapest local gasstation.
I figured that since my engine is NA and doesn't have a high compression ratio, anything more would be a waste.
But I might run a test tank with higher octane fuel.
My motivation to start trying it, was because of the normal Super E5 in Germany tends to fluctuate between € 1,50 and € 1,65 so getting the V-Power in Belgium, is almost the same price as regular Super E5.

The Suzuki Celerio is know as the most fuel efficient gasoline car, on Spritmonitor. Compression ratio of my car is 12:1 so higher than many gasoline cars. With the Super E5 I have been driving also very fuel efficient, but the only time I got 30km/L was when the Suzuki dealer added a injection cleaner to the fuel.

Not all Euro 98 gasoline is free of bio-ethanol, but She'll claims their V-Power is. And I think the fuel efficiency is from the lack of bio-ethanol.
Old 07-02-2021, 11:39 AM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Team Toyota

Motorcycle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zunigrijje View Post
My motivation to start trying it, was because of the normal Super E5 in Germany tends to fluctuate between € 1,50 and € 1,65 so getting the V-Power in Belgium, is almost the same price as regular Super E5.

The Suzuki Celerio is know as the most fuel efficient gasoline car, on Spritmonitor. Compression ratio of my car is 12:1 so higher than many gasoline cars. With the Super E5 I have been driving also very fuel efficient, but the only time I got 30km/L was when the Suzuki dealer added a injection cleaner to the fuel.

Not all Euro 98 gasoline is free of bio-ethanol, but She'll claims their V-Power is. And I think the fuel efficiency is from the lack of bio-ethanol.
My engine is a 10:1 compression ratio naturaly aspirated port injected engine, so I might not realy benefit significantly from the higher octane rating.
Also my ECU is pretty dumb since my car is pretty old.
Also 95 RON E5 is mostly 1,45-1,50€ here most of the time.

I usualy get about 6L/100 km with my 1,8L engine and short gears.
Old 07-02-2021, 12:49 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,554 Times in 7,041 Posts
Quote:
My theory was, that because of V-Power not containing bio-ethanol. That I should be able to drive more fuel efficient.
What I look for locally is called 'clear premium'. I have used it in my 1971 Superbeetle to protect the fuel system, but there is a member here (funkhoss) who uses it in his Geo Metro and gets 87 MPG; so now I'm using it (first tank) in my 1990 XFi.

The increased price versus increased mileage suggests total cost involved versus bragging rights.

Old 07-02-2021, 01:24 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Team Toyota

Motorcycle
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
What I look for locally is called 'clear premium'. I have used it in my 1971 Superbeetle to protect the fuel system, but there is a member here (funkhoss) who uses it in his Geo Metro and gets 87 MPG; so now I'm using it (first tank) in my 1990 XFi.

The increased price versus increased mileage suggests total cost involved versus bragging rights.
Fuel prices in general are higher over here due to taxes, so the % difference isn't as high.
1,50€/L is about 6,75$/gallon after all.
Old 07-02-2021, 07:04 PM   #7 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,622 Times in 1,447 Posts
Unless it's effectively required in order to avoid knocking, resorting to an octane rating higher than specified is overkill. It won't do any actual harm, but it's also not so likely to improve fuel-efficiency at all.

Quote:
I'm driving a Suzuki Celerio
Lots of those in Uruguay. Besides a car being generally quite expensive there, fuel costs are also a PITA, leading many Uruguayans to fill up at the Brazilian side of the border, even though the ethanol content here is around 22 to 27%.
Old 07-03-2021, 09:53 AM   #8 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr View Post
Unless it's effectively required in order to avoid knocking, resorting to an octane rating higher than specified is overkill. It won't do any actual harm, but it's also not so likely to improve fuel-efficiency at all.

Lots of those in Uruguay. Besides a car being generally quite expensive there, fuel costs are also a PITA, leading many Uruguayans to fill up at the Brazilian side of the border, even though the ethanol content here is around 22 to 27%.
I think it's the lack of bio-ethanol in V-Power, that gets the difference in fuel economy. Yes the Suzuki Celerio sold in The Netherlands, has a very fuel efficient gasoline engine. More efficient than an hybrid.... in the end those have two motors... while mine only has a gasoline.

So I'm quite sure my car won't Profit from the higher octane level, that's why I don't even bother tanking V-Power Racing in Germany which is octane level 100. But the price of V-Power is higher in Germany, than Belgium.

Take in mind, in Europe we use a different octane rating system than the USA. Also fuel is way more expensive.
Old 07-04-2021, 02:49 PM   #9 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,622 Times in 1,447 Posts
Quote:
I think it's the lack of bio-ethanol in V-Power, that gets the difference in fuel economy.
Sure. The lower energy density of ethanol charges its toll.

Quote:
Yes the Suzuki Celerio sold in The Netherlands, has a very fuel efficient gasoline engine.
That's the very same engine in any other market where the Celerio is available. Too bad the local representant of Suzuki and Mitsubishi in my country is focusing only on the SUVs. I'm sure Suzuki could get a more comfortable sales volume here if other models available in neighboring countries were offered here too.

Quote:
Take in mind, in Europe we use a different octane rating system than the USA.
I don't even remember what octane rating system is more common in Brazil.

Quote:
Also fuel is way more expensive.
Even the CNG prices skyrocketted in Brazil recently.
Old 07-04-2021, 03:33 PM   #10 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

They discontinued the Celerio in Europe though: you can't buy them new anymore. Anyway I noticed that with V-Power the car runs more fuel efficient. I have been trying to drive as fuel efficient as possible, by sometimes pushing the limits.

Reply  Post New Thread