Go Back   EcoModder Forum > AltModding > Saving@Home
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2011, 11:24 PM   #11 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

honda cb125 - '74 Honda CB 125 S1
90 day: 79.71 mpg (US)

green wedge - '81 Commuter Vehicles Inc. Commuti-Car

Blue VX - '93 Honda Civic VX
I only looked at a few topics of that ERE forum, but I noticed that at least a few people on their spent more in the last year on vacations then I earned in the last year, of course they also paid more in interest in the last year then I earned.
I enjoy my life style, I work part time, my house is paid for, my car is rust free, in great shape and paid for, my two electric cars are paid for along with my motorcycles and all my other toys and I eat really good food.
The trick seems to be to not try to buy your self out of unhappiness but that you should instead enjoy the things you spend your money on to their fullest.
It also helps to know how to do things and how to spot quality, that is, if you want to live on a low budget.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-03-2011, 12:34 PM   #12 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Interesting site. I like some of the ideas about frugal living and such, but for me there's one great big what I guess you'd call an attitude problem. The thing is, I LIKE working (in moderation, of course - I'm scarcely a workaholic): I enjoy what I do for a living, and I like the fact that people value what I do enough to reward me for it with money. So my bottom line is that I don't ever want to retire.
Old 01-03-2011, 04:54 PM   #13 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Big Orange Work Truck - '83 Ford F-250
90 day: 27.54 mpg (US)

Jessica's - '04 Toyota Matrix
90 day: 41.21 mpg (US)

Ninjette - '01 Kawasaki Ninja EX250R
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
Interesting site. I like some of the ideas about frugal living and such, but for me there's one great big what I guess you'd call an attitude problem. The thing is, I LIKE working (in moderation, of course - I'm scarcely a workaholic): I enjoy what I do for a living, and I like the fact that people value what I do enough to reward me for it with money. So my bottom line is that I don't ever want to retire.
I like my work too.
The difference is being able to choose to work, as opposed to having to.
Everything sucks more when you are forced to do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piwoslaw View Post
A few months ago I returned home just as my neighbor pulled into his driveway. It was cold (around freezing) with some rain and sleet, and he yells to me: You rode your bike? In this weather?!?

So the other day we both returned home at the same time again, only now the weather is warm, sunny, with no wind. And I yell to him: You took the car? In this weather?!?
Old 01-04-2011, 10:14 PM   #14 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacobAziza View Post
The difference is being able to choose to work, as opposed to having to.
Sure, but these early retirement folks seem to be into not working even if the job was doing something they'd enjoy.
Old 01-05-2011, 07:20 AM   #15 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

They are definitely not all the same.
Certainly people who do want to never work are drawn to it.

Personally, while I enjoy working, I would not want to have to do anything 40hours a week (plus commute time).
But there are some people who post there who can't figure out what they would do with life without work filling every free moment.

Quote:
A few months ago I returned home just as my neighbor pulled into his driveway. It was cold (around freezing) with some rain and sleet, and he yells to me: You rode your bike? In this weather?!?

So the other day we both returned home at the same time again, only now the weather is warm, sunny, with no wind. And I yell to him: You took the car? In this weather?!?
Old 01-05-2011, 01:18 PM   #16 (permalink)
A madman

Pequod - '17 Subaru Outback
90 day: 22.79 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to brucey
I can't stand the idea of not working. Maybe not 60 hours a week, every week, but I certainly got time/energy for 40.
Old 01-05-2011, 01:29 PM   #17 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Man I hate to work.
I think some people are just wired differently. I like sports and working with my hands, doing stuff, thinking about stuff, learning. I wouldn't say I'm lazy but I can't imagine a job I would really enjoy. I mean if they didn't pay you would you still go?
Old 01-05-2011, 08:58 PM   #18 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnmarcus View Post
I mean if they didn't pay you would you still go?
Oh my, so well put!
I was going to comment, but that sums it up so nicely.

So, there's the thing about early retirement: separate the "work" from the money. Jacob (not me, the guy who wrote the book and started the site whose real name is Jacob (for me its a screen name)) is helping people learn to be financially independent.
Once you reach that stage, what you do with your time is entirely up to you.

Vacations, hobbies, or continuing to work.

I just can't see the downside

Quote:

Old 01-05-2011, 10:38 PM   #19 (permalink)
Banned

2004 CTD - '04 DODGE RAM 2500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 19.36 mpg (US)
I just can't see the downside

Injury, illness, aging or a severe loss have a way of focussing a hot light on any deficiencies in plans. Doesn't have to be me, could be a family member or close friend. Our society is all too willing to tie people to debt peonage under threat of annihilation. The current plan appears to be to keep the majority somehow employed and in their homes. But if they can't sell . . . .

Financial instruments, of any sort, are not the best long-term solution, IMO. Tangible property is likely to be, again, as it has through history. I'd prefer mine to have it's own source of water . . . .

You fellas might enjoy reading about Factor E Farm (even though it isn't directly related: how to do something without big money). I think I appreciate the like-mindedness as much as any of the actual topics or projects (very fun DIY).
Old 01-06-2011, 07:31 AM   #20 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I don't understand why you started with the quote from my last message.

Are you agreeing or disagreeing that it is beneficial to have savings in place? Seems the risk of illness etc. is another good reason to be financially stable w/o needing a daily 9-5 (either you may not be able to work, or expenses may overrun income)
Part of the goal is having no debt (including home loan)

Whether stocks and bonds are safe in the long run is a separate question from whether or not one makes an effort to be independent instead of relying on a paycheck.

Its funny how we assume society couldn't function without loans. If there is a credit crunch, don't live beyond your means.
In Mexico, there were two story homes with rebar sticking out of the roof.
As it was explained to me, people who couldn't get loans built what they could afford. Someday, when they save up more, they will go back and build the 2nd story

Quote:

Reply  Post New Thread