Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2013, 07:19 AM   #31 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Just because its on the internet doesnt make it true. Ive been running HID conversions in various vehicles since 05 with no problems. I even use them in my fog lamps. Ive had them in an 06 scion xa, 09 scion xb 2010 Honda Insight and 95 suzuki sidekick. I do full HID for low as well as high and I use 3000k for high beam and fogs.

Next up is HID reverse lamps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrews View Post
This is inccorrect (FACTUALLY).
An HID bulb mounted in a lamp designed for a HALOGEN bulb doest not work correctly.

PLEASE show a picture of your hid bulb on shining on a wall. Park 30 feet away.
IT FAILS. PERIOD.
Please read the thread I posted from HIDPLANET.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 02-07-2013, 06:31 AM   #32 (permalink)
kah
EcoModding Lurker

The Mii - '12 Seat Mii Reference
90 day: 54.83 mpg (US)
Back to the Philips ecovision. Aparantly 60/55w is not always 60/55w.

I found a swedish test of different headlight bulbs, and in particular the philips ecovision, they tested on a Honda jazz and measured the wattage used at 12v and 13,2v.
The ecovision used 51,2/53,8 which was the lowest of all the tested bulbs.

Other results:
Philips blueVision: 53,4/61,4
Philips Vision Plus: 53,0/61,2
GE Megalight plus 60%: 53,0/60,8
GE standard: 57,6/66,9
Mega Blue: 57,7/66,9
Stanley LL: 56,4/65,2 (These were the original lamps of the tested Honda)
Osram Bilux: 55/64
Osram Nightbreaker: 58,8/68,1
Biltema standard: 57,0/65,6

you can read the rest of the rest of the test here : Google Translate

Switching to Ecovisions from standard bulbs, will save you 10,4w on lowbeam (5,2x2) and 22,8w on highbeam (11,4x2), not a lot, but ecovisions outperform the standard bulb in other areas too, such as scope and width.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kah For This Useful Post:
320touring (02-08-2013), redpoint5 (02-07-2013)
Old 02-07-2013, 09:31 AM   #33 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Q Sold - '02 Infiniti Q45 Sport
90 day: 23.08 mpg (US)

blackie - '14 nissan altima sv
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobb View Post
Just because its on the internet doesnt make it true. bup:
Cobb,
Not sure if this comment is directed at my post.
The thread in reference is reseached and documented.
So it is true.
FACT:
Halogen lamps are designed for halogen bulbs
HID and halogen burn completely different (see proof in thread)
An HID bulb in a halogen lamp will fail all tests set forward by the govt for automotive lighting

Again, please post a picture of the light down the road.

ECO MODS PERFORMED:
First: ScangaugeII
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...eii-23306.html

Second: Grille Block
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...e-10912-2.html

Third: Full underbelly pan
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...q45-11402.html

Fourth: rear skirts and 30.4mpg on trip!
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...tml#post247938
Old 02-07-2013, 05:09 PM   #34 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Truck - '02 Nissan GU Patrol ST
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobb View Post
Just because its on the internet doesnt make it true. Ive been running HID conversions in various vehicles since 05 with no problems. I even use them in my fog lamps. Ive had them in an 06 scion xa, 09 scion xb 2010 Honda Insight and 95 suzuki sidekick. I do full HID for low as well as high and I use 3000k for high beam and fogs.

Next up is HID reverse lamps.
Agree with mcrews,

If you look for the fine print on most HID conversion kits there is a statement that they may not be legal in your country.

Yes they do work as far as putting light out, but they are a safety hazard and blind other drivers on the road because of the glare from incorrect reflector housing, you can see them coming from miles away, blue glare.

In my opinion this is irresponsible.

Use them for driving lights, fog lamps and such, but unless you have a full HID headlight assembly, then keep them out of the headlights.
Old 02-07-2013, 06:34 PM   #35 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,395 Times in 3,368 Posts
Uh huh. I'm sure mcrews always drives at or below the speed limit in his Q45 Sport and never fails to signal since he is so concerned with abiding by the letter of the law.

The argument that HID conversion is illegal and therefore necessarily bad is only effective if it can be shown that all laws ought to be obeyed all of the time. But mcrews doesn't mention that it is illegal because he is very concerned that citizens obey the law, otherwise he would rail against LED bulbs in parking and brake lamps since those are just as illegal.

Great, so the argument against HID conversion isn't about compliance to the law so much as it is about safety. HID conversion is inherently dangerous because it "blinds" other drivers and causes accidents. There is data to corroborate this claim where? I have never seen a single source to support this.

My own experience with converting my motorcycle to HID is that it improved my safety considerably. The stock bulb was dangerously inadequate, so I illegally converted it to HID. I have found that the conversion does not put others at increased risk due to glare, but instead increases my safety by improving visibility.

We have all been annoyed by HID conversions that were poorly done and get angry that others could be so inconsiderate. This is the real argument; that some HID conversions are annoying and we resent that others could be so inconsiderate. While it's true that HID conversions are illegal, and some debate may exist concerning safety, the thing we have to deal with most is the lack of respect that others show towards us.

My take on the debate; go forward with the conversion but take care that the modification is in consideration of others and has a useful light output. If it fails either of these 2 criteria, then it's back to the drawing board.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!

Last edited by redpoint5; 02-08-2013 at 02:32 AM..
Old 02-07-2013, 06:53 PM   #36 (permalink)
Banned

I converted to HID because 700 lumens from a 9004 bulbs is the equivalent of a fart in the wind when you're going 70mph on wet asphalt. And no, there is no glare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesla View Post
Agree with mcrews,

If you look for the fine print on most HID conversion kits there is a statement that they may not be legal in your country.

Yes they do work as far as putting light out, but they are a safety hazard and blind other drivers on the road because of the glare from incorrect reflector housing, you can see them coming from miles away, blue glare.

In my opinion this is irresponsible.

Use them for driving lights, fog lamps and such, but unless you have a full HID headlight assembly, then keep them out of the headlights.
All halogen headlight housings are not created equal and they can also be modified to reduce glare below what a factor HID housing produces. The blue light issue is caused by people buying stupid light colors. The only HID kit that should be allowed is 4000k-5000k
Old 02-07-2013, 10:06 PM   #37 (permalink)

Pope Pious the Prius - '13 Toyota Prius Two
Team Toyota
SUV
90 day: 51.62 mpg (US)

Tycho the Truck - '91 Toyota Pickup DLX 4WD
90 day: 22.22 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,802 Times in 939 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by christofoo View Post
I wish I could put HID or LED in there for some much larger power draw reduction, but alas, headlamp reflectors are designed for a very specific source geometry, as of now there isn't a way I know of to make the swap without changing the entire assembly.
It is not just possible, but relatively easy, to retrofit projectors in conventional housings. I did this last summer in my Civic, using the Morimoto Mini D2S. It's also expensive, however.
The Following User Says Thank You to Vman455 For This Useful Post:
mcrews (02-07-2013)
Old 02-07-2013, 11:52 PM   #38 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjts1 View Post
And no, there is no glare.

********please show pictures of your light against a hall at 30 ft.
in other words......
prove it****************************

All halogen headlight housings are not created equal and they can also be modified
******************Please prove this! Hidplanet.com, the premier forum for modifing halogen/projectors/etc, has never show a 'modified halogen lamp' that works.****************

to reduce glare below what a factor HID housing produces. The blue light issue is caused by people buying stupid light colors. The only HID kit that should be allowed is 4000k-5000k
Guess you didnt bother to read the link....

ECO MODS PERFORMED:

Old 02-07-2013, 11:59 PM   #39 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
Uh huh. I'm sure mcrews always drives at or below the speed limit in his Q45 Sport and never fails to signal since he is so concerned with abiding by the letter of the law.

The argument that HID conversion is illegal and therefore necessarily bad is only effective if it can be shown

************What!!!!!
THe point is the at you (selfish individual) is engangering others with lighting that is too bright. By 10xs.
Pleas, read the link before mouthing off.**********

that all laws ought to be obeyed all of the time. But mcrews doesn't mention that it is illegal because he is very concerned that citizens obey the law, otherwise he would rail against LED bulbs in parking and brake lamps since those are just as illegal.

Great, so the argument against HID conversion isn't about compliance to the law so much as it is about safety. HID conversion is inherently dangerous because it "blinds" other drivers and causes accidents. There is data to corroborate this claim where? I have never seen a single source to support this.
**********too damn lazy to read a link???***************

My own experience with converting my motorcycle to HID is that improved my safety considerably. The stock bulb was dangerously inadequate, so I illegally converted it to HID. I have found that the conversion does not put others at increased risk due to glare, but instead increases my safety by improving visibility.

*******please post a picture of the light on a wall fro 30 feet*********

We have all been annoyed by HID conversions that were poorly done and get angry that others could be so inconsiderate. This is the real argument; that some HID conversions are annoying and we resent that others could be so inconsiderate. While it's true that HID conversions are illegal, and some debate may exist concerning safety, the thing we have to deal with most is the lack of respect that others show towards us.

My take on the debate; go forward with the conversion but take care that the modification is in consideration of others and has a useful light output. If it fails either of these 2 criteria, then it's back to the drawing board.
Wow, and then you agree with me in the last sentence.....now that's showing the courage of your convictions......

ECO MODS PERFORMED:

Old 02-08-2013, 04:10 AM   #40 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrews View Post
Guess you didnt bother to read the link....
Don't get cute with me.

Reply  Post New Thread