Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Introductions
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2011, 01:36 AM   #31 (permalink)
apc
EcoModding Lurker

Mazda - '11 Mazda Mazda2 Touring
90 day: 38.93 mpg (US)
I hope I didn't come off condescending. I've just seen a cpl people pour all their attention into the motor only to push it too far and lose it on the road. haven't seen anyone really get hurt, except their pride, but one of the cars didn't survive. it came down to steering. FWD vehicles by their nature put a large and difficult-to-predict load on the front wheels. add to that the fact that a human is at the helm and things can get messy.

please do keep detailed records of your progress and share how your modifications improve your performance.

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-15-2011, 01:47 AM   #32 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Nah, it's cool. I'll be doing the rest of the exhaust work and intercooler (intercooler as a survivability mod for the engine primarily because the stock top mount air to air unit cannot keep up in these temps/altitude) and then it's on to brakes/suspension (both over-sized and optimized for high-speed stability).

Then, and only then, will I build it to make more power.
Old 06-15-2011, 08:11 PM   #33 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enki View Post
Wow, stopped getting email notifications about updates to the thread; didn't realize so many posts had popped up since the last time I checked.

For those that are interested, I will be building a transmission *AFTER* the motor is built and tuned so I can perfectly match the ratios to the output of the motor.

I'm currently looking at going the EFR route from BorgWarner, and have roughly plotted out an engine on their Matchbot to see what I could hit; the link is below:

( Edit: post count not high enough for links; see attached image )

Obviously, ambient temps in the 100 and high altitude are not good for high speed anything; however when the time comes to run the Texas Mile, power will be over 500 horsepower according to Matchbot (assuming 70 ambient and local elevation of 200 feet).

As for the fuel log, I'll see about getting one today when I go into town to pick up fluids for the next set of mods to happen either this weekend or next. With that all in mind, sometime next month I'll likely start ordering bends for the full on custom 3" vband exhaust (with manifold) I'll be building to replace the restrictive stock parts.

Stay tuned!
So, that's 485hp that you are shooting for?

A quick search indicates a top speed in stock form of 155mph (that's seems a little high for only 263hp). But, assuming that is true, you'll need 565hp to hit 200mph w/o aero mods. You may be able to pull it off with only 485hp with significant aero tweaks. The Texas Mile doesn't give you much distance to get up to speed, but I think they have more leeway in streamlining.

I'm far more familiar with the SCTA rulebook as I'm building an I/GC car to race at Bonneville. There are others here that are into land speed racing as well (aerohead for example).

2001 Civic HX Mods

CTS-V

2003 Silverado Mods
Old 06-15-2011, 09:58 PM   #34 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

According to the Aero tool, I should only need 462 horse to get there (stock). I used the following numbers:

Vehicle weight: 1723.7 kg / 3800 lbs
Crr: .02
Cd: .32
A: 2.4 m2 / 25.5 ft2
Fuel energy density (Wh/US gal.): 33557
Engine efficiency: .22
Drivetrain efficiency: .95
Parasitic overhead (Watts): 0
rho: 1.184 kg/m3

Stock they will do 155, drag limited, but with a cold air intake they will do 160 electronically and potentially drag limited. Keep in mind in stock form the turbo runs out of breath (like me running up ten flights of stairs) after 5500 rpm, and that comes on after 140 mph; at that point it isn't making anywhere near 260 horse.

According to my spreadsheet, a stock geared MS3 would be capable of pulling a gear limited 169 MPH @ 6500 RPM (I was previously wrong about being gear limited to 160 in current setup; I am power/drag limited still) with only a slightly bigger turbocharger (at stock boost levels, mind you).

With those stats, it looks like it will need 300 horse to hit 170, and an EFR 6750 would yield about 350 under stock boost levels (15 psi)

Leveraged resources are below:
Gear calc (stock first gen MS3):
https://spreadsheets.google.com/spre...thkey=CI7l3f8J

EFR 6750:
BorgWarner MatchBot

EFR 7670 (what I plan on running):
BorgWarner MatchBot

Last edited by Enki; 06-15-2011 at 10:03 PM.. Reason: Clarification
Old 06-15-2011, 10:08 PM   #35 (permalink)
Diesel Addict/No Cure

StolenHoopty - '90 Honda Accord EX

HvyDrnkr - '93 Cadillac Seville
You keeping the longblock stock or are you going to do a dedicated build for it?

Big n' Boxy, Never met a Hill it Didn't Like
Old 06-15-2011, 10:11 PM   #36 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

To run more than 20 PSI (which is probably risky anyways) I'm going to wind up doing a full build. I might get the turbo before that though and just keep the boost low. I REALLY need to work on the spreadsheet more tonight and figure out if I can hang fueling wise or if I'll need to spray meth to compensate for lack of fuel.
Old 06-15-2011, 10:19 PM   #37 (permalink)
Diesel Addict/No Cure

E85 might save you on the stock longblock if you're crazy enough. Are......you.....crazy....enough? HEhe, hahahaha!

Standalone, big injectors, install the alky injectors as an extra set...........

Having children makes me tired.

Old 06-15-2011, 10:21 PM   #38 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Fuel system probably won't handle it, sadly. I'll know more if I can figure out the flowsi ratio on my fuel pump.
Old 06-15-2011, 10:26 PM   #39 (permalink)
Diesel Addict/No Cure

My friend, don't risk it. Go over to RC Engineering's website and size the injectors properly. Going overboard on the pumps, lines and fuel rail will save yer tuckus. Better to have it and not need it than to well, go BOOM.

Old 06-15-2011, 10:45 PM   #40 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Not possible. No aftermarket injectors exist for my platform.
Direct injection is both a blessing and a curse; so far the stock system with an upgraded pump and tuning can net 500+ but I think that's with meth injection on the side.

Again, I need to figure out the max fueling these things can handle.

Tags
200 mph, mazda, shaved, speed