Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Success Stories
Register Now
 Register Now
 

Reply  Post New Thread
 
Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2018, 07:29 PM   #11 (permalink)
EcoModding flying lizard
 
Daschicken's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Georgia
Posts: 527

Cibbie - '88 Honda CBR 250R
Motorcycle
90 day: 53.94 mpg (US)

Rarity - '06 Honda Accord EX V6
Team Honda
90 day: 39.22 mpg (US)

Baby viff - '86 Honda VFR 400R
Motorcycle
90 day: 48.31 mpg (US)
Thanks: 385
Thanked 160 Times in 108 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpg_numbers_guy View Post
Those are some sweet RPMs though! My tach only works sporadically (and I haven't gotten a gauge yet for that) so idk exactly what my RPMs are, but I can safely guess they're higher due to the civic being a smaller vehicle. I know it seems to hit 4th gear around 41-43 MPH (or so it feels like) and on that 52 mpg trip I was going around low 40s since there wasn't much traffic, so something must be right there. And of course having 6 gears on your Accord beats the 4 on my auto!
Your civic is at 1621 RPM at 45 MPH, or 2522 RPM at 70 MPH, not bad at all! I didn't check EX vs LX auto gearing, but the EX gearing is shorter on manuals of this civic generation.


Quote:
Originally Posted by mpg_numbers_guy View Post
That's kinda the thing with me though, I'm not very patient to wait for things to pay themselves off which probably explains my hesitation to buy a Scangauge or Ultragauge.
If you plan on keeping the car...Get stuff now so you can start enjoying the savings right away, the longer you wait, the less savings you will get.

__________________
-Kaze o tatakaimasen-

Add yourself to the Ecomodder user map! As of 11/30/16 there are only 50 people on it!

132(Includes repeats...grr...) People as of 7/7/2018 Keep it up!

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...rmap-8247.html


Best trip in v6: 52.0
Best tank in CBR: 60.5
Best tank in VFR: 55.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
You can lead a fashion-conscious horse to unusual-looking water...

  Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

   
Old 02-15-2018, 08:37 PM   #12 (permalink)
Gen 1 Insight Hunter
 
mpg_numbers_guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Virginia
Posts: 419

Silver Aero (Personal Driving) - '04 Honda Civic EX Sedan Automatic
Team Honda
90 day: 49.92 mpg (US)

Family Minivan (my driving only) - '04 Toyota Sienna XLE Limited
90 day: 31.96 mpg (US)

Silver Aero (Pizza Delivery) - '04 Honda Civic EX Sedan Automatic
90 day: 37.68 mpg (US)
Thanks: 137
Thanked 75 Times in 65 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daschicken View Post
Your civic is at 1621 RPM at 45 MPH, or 2522 RPM at 70 MPH, not bad at all! I didn't check EX vs LX auto gearing, but the EX gearing is shorter on manuals of this civic generation.
Where did you get this information?? I've been looking all over for a way to find out RPMS at various speeds in my car since the tach doesn't work and I can't find it anywhere, tell me your secret source!

I think I remember reading somewhere that the manual gets slightly better MPG in city due to the gearing and the auto gets slightly better MPG on the highway due to a lower gear ratio in the highest gear, but that obviously doesn't take into consideration the manual's better ability in hypermiling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daschicken View Post
If you plan on keeping the car...Get stuff now so you can start enjoying the savings right away, the longer you wait, the less savings you will get.
Yes, true, but of course my favorite mods are going to be the free ones, like pumping tires up currently mine are at 40 PSI, or were, they might be down by 1 or so due to the cold weather we've been having. I do think I will eventually start implementing some subtle things such as a block heater, but I will be having the timing belt changed this spring so I'll probably wait until after then so it doesn't hurt the pocketbook as much.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 11:29 PM   #13 (permalink)
Ecomuggler
 
Xist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Mesa, AZ
Posts: 6,677

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 34.82 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.41 mpg (US)
Thanks: 3,889
Thanked 1,244 Times in 926 Posts
I avoid automatics whenever possible, but my car was $1,050 less than this one: https://phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/c...479733847.html

with 60% as many miles. That is enough to pay for 85% of the gas that I have used in sixteen months.

Sometimes plans come together for me. The rest of the time I see squirrels at just the worst moments.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 11:39 AM   #14 (permalink)
EcoModding flying lizard
 
Daschicken's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Georgia
Posts: 527

Cibbie - '88 Honda CBR 250R
Motorcycle
90 day: 53.94 mpg (US)

Rarity - '06 Honda Accord EX V6
Team Honda
90 day: 39.22 mpg (US)

Baby viff - '86 Honda VFR 400R
Motorcycle
90 day: 48.31 mpg (US)
Thanks: 385
Thanked 160 Times in 108 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpg_numbers_guy View Post
Where did you get this information?? I've been looking all over for a way to find out RPMS at various speeds in my car since the tach doesn't work and I can't find it anywhere, tell me your secret source!
http://owners.honda.com/vehicles/information/2004/Civic-Sedan/specs#mid^ES2674MW

For that one, I used owners.honda.com. Select vehicle info in the top left corner, and you can get specs for each trim level. I usually use cars.com though. You can select research cars, pick the trim level and scroll down to specifications.

From there I use the Engine RPM calculator from CSGNetwork, scroll all the way down so you can use the calculator with four variables specified: Axle ratio, tire height, speed, and gear ratio. Once upon a time I did tire height calculations manually, but now I just use tiresize.com 's tire height calculator.

Now do me a favor and find me the secret source for figuring out motorcycle gear ratios!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpg_numbers_guy View Post
True, a manual would definitely be better overall, but an auto with paddle shifters would have the benefit of if you ever had a day you didn't feel like driving a manual or if someone else were to drive the car, since few people nowadays know how to drive a manual.
That's why i'm teaching people, I have taught SIXTEEN people how to drive manual so far.
__________________
-Kaze o tatakaimasen-

Add yourself to the Ecomodder user map! As of 11/30/16 there are only 50 people on it!

132(Includes repeats...grr...) People as of 7/7/2018 Keep it up!

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...rmap-8247.html


Best trip in v6: 52.0
Best tank in CBR: 60.5
Best tank in VFR: 55.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
You can lead a fashion-conscious horse to unusual-looking water...


Last edited by Daschicken; 02-16-2018 at 11:45 AM..
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 03:39 PM   #15 (permalink)
Tyrant-at-large
 
Vman455's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Champaign, IL
Posts: 1,033

Little Red - retired - '05 Honda Civic EX
90 day: 49.03 mpg (US)

Pope Pious the Prius - '13 Toyota Prius Two
Team Toyota
90 day: 53.99 mpg (US)
Thanks: 92
Thanked 854 Times in 427 Posts
You might be interested in this.

Too bad about the automatic; with a manual, you could wire in a fuel injector kill switch (someone else on the forum figured out which wire to cut on the 7th gen, and a few of us followed suit) and have some real fun.
__________________

  Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vman455 For This Useful Post:
mazdamx640 (02-17-2018)
Old 02-17-2018, 09:23 PM   #16 (permalink)
Gen 1 Insight Hunter
 
mpg_numbers_guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Virginia
Posts: 419

Silver Aero (Personal Driving) - '04 Honda Civic EX Sedan Automatic
Team Honda
90 day: 49.92 mpg (US)

Family Minivan (my driving only) - '04 Toyota Sienna XLE Limited
90 day: 31.96 mpg (US)

Silver Aero (Pizza Delivery) - '04 Honda Civic EX Sedan Automatic
90 day: 37.68 mpg (US)
Thanks: 137
Thanked 75 Times in 65 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post
I avoid automatics whenever possible, but my car was $1,050 less than this one: https://phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/c...479733847.html

with 60% as many miles. That is enough to pay for 85% of the gas that I have used in sixteen months.

Sometimes plans come together for me. The rest of the time I see squirrels at just the worst moments.
So I hear from most hypermilers; manuals take the day. But I gotta deal with what I have.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 09:27 PM   #17 (permalink)
Gen 1 Insight Hunter
 
mpg_numbers_guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Virginia
Posts: 419

Silver Aero (Personal Driving) - '04 Honda Civic EX Sedan Automatic
Team Honda
90 day: 49.92 mpg (US)

Family Minivan (my driving only) - '04 Toyota Sienna XLE Limited
90 day: 31.96 mpg (US)

Silver Aero (Pizza Delivery) - '04 Honda Civic EX Sedan Automatic
90 day: 37.68 mpg (US)
Thanks: 137
Thanked 75 Times in 65 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vman455 View Post
You might be interested in this.

Too bad about the automatic; with a manual, you could wire in a fuel injector kill switch (someone else on the forum figured out which wire to cut on the 7th gen, and a few of us followed suit) and have some real fun.
Very nice! Impressed with how decent the grille block looks! Did you end up ever temporarily removing part of the grille block during the summer? And how bad was the stock bumper modded to achieve this (thinking of resale value)? And you used sheet metal for this, right? Do you think the increased FE beat the cost of the mods? Sorry for all the questions!

Also the pictures on the post didn't show - showed some kind of "third party sharing disabled" thing had to go to your car's profile page to see it.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 03:26 PM   #18 (permalink)
Gen 1 Insight Hunter
 
mpg_numbers_guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Virginia
Posts: 419

Silver Aero (Personal Driving) - '04 Honda Civic EX Sedan Automatic
Team Honda
90 day: 49.92 mpg (US)

Family Minivan (my driving only) - '04 Toyota Sienna XLE Limited
90 day: 31.96 mpg (US)

Silver Aero (Pizza Delivery) - '04 Honda Civic EX Sedan Automatic
90 day: 37.68 mpg (US)
Thanks: 137
Thanked 75 Times in 65 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daschicken View Post
http://owners.honda.com/vehicles/information/2004/Civic-Sedan/specs#mid^ES2674MW

For that one, I used owners.honda.com. Select vehicle info in the top left corner, and you can get specs for each trim level. I usually use cars.com though. You can select research cars, pick the trim level and scroll down to specifications.

From there I use the Engine RPM calculator from CSGNetwork, scroll all the way down so you can use the calculator with four variables specified: Axle ratio, tire height, speed, and gear ratio. Once upon a time I did tire height calculations manually, but now I just use tiresize.com 's tire height calculator.

Now do me a favor and find me the secret source for figuring out motorcycle gear ratios!
Ah yes I used that but those tools don't seem to take into consideration gears...like you know how an automatic will shift from, say, 3rd gear to 4th at 40 MPH, so the RPMs are lower at 40 than 39...the tool just linearly increases the RPMs. Or am I just missing something here?
__________________
Silver Aero, 2004 Honda Civic EX Sedan Automatic.
Personal driving:

Pizza delivery:


My trips driving the stock, non-ecomodded family minivan. Mostly highway driving. I generally average 30 city, 33 highway with it.

  Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 06:37 PM   #19 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: WV
Posts: 703

IGL - '04 Saturn Ion
Team Saturn
90 day: 48.72 mpg (US)
Thanks: 21
Thanked 166 Times in 132 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpg_numbers_guy View Post
Very nice! Impressed with how decent the grille block looks! Did you end up ever temporarily removing part of the grille block during the summer? And how bad was the stock bumper modded to achieve this (thinking of resale value)? And you used sheet metal for this, right? Do you think the increased FE beat the cost of the mods? Sorry for all the questions!

Also the pictures on the post didn't show - showed some kind of "third party sharing disabled" thing had to go to your car's profile page to see it.
Basically you need to calculate the return on investment (ROI) on your mods and decide on materials... obviously sheet metal and the like will cost more than coroplast or tape... I usually gather coroplast after big elections and use that for basically free, and itís plenty strong enough for most aero mods...

My grille blocks stay on year round but I monitor engine temp with an UltraGauge...
__________________
My current Ecotec project...


My last Ecotec project...
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 08:38 PM   #20 (permalink)
Gen 1 Insight Hunter
 
mpg_numbers_guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Virginia
Posts: 419

Silver Aero (Personal Driving) - '04 Honda Civic EX Sedan Automatic
Team Honda
90 day: 49.92 mpg (US)

Family Minivan (my driving only) - '04 Toyota Sienna XLE Limited
90 day: 31.96 mpg (US)

Silver Aero (Pizza Delivery) - '04 Honda Civic EX Sedan Automatic
90 day: 37.68 mpg (US)
Thanks: 137
Thanked 75 Times in 65 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 19bonestock88 View Post
Basically you need to calculate the return on investment (ROI) on your mods and decide on materials... obviously sheet metal and the like will cost more than coroplast or tape... I usually gather coroplast after big elections and use that for basically free, and it’s plenty strong enough for most aero mods...

My grille blocks stay on year round but I monitor engine temp with an UltraGauge...
Got several mods planned that'll cost under $40 in all, and should pay for themselves after ~5000. I may start an actual build thread when I begin them.

Hopefully I can get a bluetooth adapter hooked up soon so I can connect a phone to it and monitor temps and stats that way.

Going for mods that can be reversed easily back to stock appearance with no drilling, taping, gluing etc. And using the cheapest materials possible.

__________________
Silver Aero, 2004 Honda Civic EX Sedan Automatic.
Personal driving:

Pizza delivery:


My trips driving the stock, non-ecomodded family minivan. Mostly highway driving. I generally average 30 city, 33 highway with it.


Last edited by mpg_numbers_guy; 03-05-2018 at 10:22 PM..
  Reply With Quote
Reply  Post New Thread


Tags
7th gen civic, automatic transmission, build thread, civic auto, honda civic

Thread Tools




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2
All content copyright EcoModder.com