Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hybrids
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2011, 01:12 AM   #291 (permalink)
Engineering first

17 i3-REx - '14 BMW i3-REx
Last 3: 45.67 mpg (US)

Blue Bob's - '19 Tesla Std Rng Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucey View Post
[IMG]. . . I think the huge increase came because I figured out how to use it properly and I was subsidizing the gasoline use heavily with electricity.
What you've built is called a plug-in, hybrid since the energy comes from the grid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucey View Post
[IMG]. . . Other hybrids are not currently doing this, they're mainly using the electric for regen abilities.
One of the earliest 'lessons learned' is the futility of maximizing hybrid performance by trying to use regenerative energy. Regenerative braking helps but it there are other aspects to hybrid efficiency . . . for the efficient ones.

Bob Wiilson

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-22-2011, 04:02 PM   #292 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Blue Meanie - '02 Volkswagon Golf TDI
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 48.52 mpg (US)

Wife's car - '05 WV Passat TDI

Rudy - '94 Chevy C2500
I'm assuming that you missed my post a few pages ago since it was the last on one the page and was posted just after one of yours, so I will repost it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
Have you considered adding an injector kill switch? If you did that you could warm the engine then cut the injectors at a stop or roll as you do this open the throttle 100% and use the electric motor to turn the engine and trans for city driving. That would reduce pumping loss and should keep the electronics on in the car, the one thing you will need to remember is to let off the throttle and shift into neutral when you are ready to restart the engine.

"It's not rocket surgery!" -MetroMPG
Old 08-22-2011, 09:52 PM   #293 (permalink)
A madman

Pequod - '17 Subaru Outback
90 day: 22.79 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to brucey
Oops! Yeah, missed that one.

That's a possibility. Although at that point I'd be fighting with 2 throttles, the automatic transmission, the gauges, plus the fuel cut. It was getting a bit busy with just the first 3! Although If I could get a fuel cut and open the throttle up it would basically be a (very inefficient) pure EV at that point!
Old 08-22-2011, 10:05 PM   #294 (permalink)
dcb
needs more cowbell

pimp mobile - '81 suzuki gs 250 t
90 day: 96.29 mpg (US)

schnitzel - '01 Volkswagen Golf TDI
90 day: 53.56 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwilson4web View Post
One of the earliest 'lessons learned' is the futility of maximizing hybrid performance by trying to use regenerative energy...
Just so people don't get too trapped in this mentality, electric hybrids (due to all the conversion losses) currently don't recapture a whole lot of regen. But systems, like hydraulic hybrids, do show a lot of promise in capturing and returning a significant portion of braking energy.
Old 08-24-2011, 10:56 AM   #295 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Blue Meanie - '02 Volkswagon Golf TDI
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 48.52 mpg (US)

Wife's car - '05 WV Passat TDI

Rudy - '94 Chevy C2500
If you were to keep the set up I would work on automating the throttle on the electric motor.

Something like this: (e= electric motor throttle, TPS= Throttle position sensor of engine)
If <25mph = 20%e
If TPS >10% = 1-100%e
If Load >x = 1-100%e
If TPS 0-2% and MPH >47 = regen
If brake is applied = regen

The actual percent of applied assist would be based on engine load using the MAP sensor. That way if you can cruse at 70mph with 7-9% throttle normally, but up hills you need 12-25% to maintain 70mph due to the extra load, the controllers throttle will aim to keep the load consistent allowing the car to climb the hill at 12% instead of 25% throttle.

"It's not rocket surgery!" -MetroMPG
Old 08-25-2011, 01:01 PM   #296 (permalink)
SolarSaab

SolarSaab - '91 Saab SPG
90 day: 27.29 mpg (US)
Most awesome work on this project!
I agree with Phantom, that an automation of the motor/ generator would be a huge help. Once you fully electrically and mechanically integrate the systems, your efficiencies will jump.

Do you have an amp meter on the motor wiring for both in and out (throttle and generator modes)? What type of volts/ amps are coming off during regen mode?

Have you thought of deleting your alternator and pulling a 12V string from the motor during regen mode? You'd probably need to add another AGM to replace your OEM battery to get more AH, and some onboard solar connected to it to help extend range. It seems like the standard alternator is just in the way if you already have a larger generator source on board, plus its fighting the motor when it engages (rectifier turns on and causes mechanical resistance when your battery needs juice).

You could pull a string wired to engage during regen, drop it to 12v, run it into a charge controller with the solar and then to the 12v.

Again, many props, most impressive!
Old 09-20-2011, 10:52 AM   #297 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

The Sh*t-Box - '99 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport
90 day: 27.81 mpg (US)
Awesome, I haven't checked in on this for some time now. Now just swap the EJ25 for an EJ18.
Any plans to tie the throttles together? A fuel kill switch would be much simpler to use if your electric motor was controlled by the throttle position sensor.