Go Back   EcoModder Forum > AltModding > Alternative Transportation
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2018, 12:09 PM   #71 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Bought a good 4 amps 43.5 volt charger for my 36 volt 12s lithium battery pack. It only came with the XLR cable. So, with some help from google and the community at endless-sphere.com I fabricated this adapter, from an adapter designed for audio:

The audio adapter was wired for audio, so I rewired it this way, thanks to google and especially jkaness at endless-sphere.com:

Works beautifully and 4 amps is quick charging! Pretty cool. Feels like an upgrade.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180222_084910.jpg
Views:	308
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	23577   Click image for larger version

Name:	XLR RCA Adapter.png
Views:	324
Size:	29.9 KB
ID:	23578  
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 02-22-2018, 02:28 PM   #72 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Firefly EV - '98 Pontiac Firefly EV
90 day: 107.65 mpg (US)

Little Boy Blue - '05 Toyota Echo
90 day: 33.35 mpg (US)

BlueZ - '19 Nissan 370Z Sport
90 day: 17.19 mpg (US)
ahh, sorry I missed your reply post. I apparently have the memory of a goldfish.

I would have suggested "simply" swapping the output wires from your old charger to the new. I've done that a couple of times. Its easier than getting a replacement plug and putting it on...and those tend to look makeshift anyway.

An adapter makes good sense too!

Is it a bad sign when the manufacturer sends you spare fuses with your charger?
The Following User Says Thank You to Stubby79 For This Useful Post:
California98Civic (02-22-2018)
Old 02-22-2018, 11:04 PM   #73 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Team Honda

I wondered about a swap, but thought I might wanna keep the old charger intact for possible repair efforts. If I could have two chargers (one at work), i would like that. Don't have cash to justify two right now. I opened the broken one, and it had power at input and inside but lost it either in or after conversion from 115 volts to 36 volts.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Old 02-24-2018, 02:38 PM   #74 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Check the winding resistance with an ohmmeter, the insulation in the coil may have broken down from heat. A broken wire in the leads is the other possibility. I just got done fixing my old 12v charger.
Old 02-24-2018, 11:46 PM   #75 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

And intelligent charger probably won't turn on unless there's power on both sides as well. Meaning there might not be an output from the coil to find until its hooked up to the battery.

It might also use the 36v as it's own power source and the coil is always putting out 36v, and it just doesn't conenct said output to the battery until it is sure there's a (correct voltage) battery there.

Who knows without a schematic?
Old 02-27-2018, 03:42 PM   #76 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Team Honda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubby79 View Post
And intelligent charger probably won't turn on unless there's power on both sides as well. Meaning there might not be an output from the coil to find until its hooked up to the battery.

It might also use the 36v as it's own power source and the coil is always putting out 36v, and it just doesn't conenct said output to the battery until it is sure there's a (correct voltage) battery there.

Who knows without a schematic?
I used a multimeter and probed, but I am sure I did not have both ends hooked up. In the past, when plugged in, the connector woul spark at the battery. I assumed that meant there was power from the charger, but of course it could be the battery's own power. I should take it apart again and plug both ends in and retest? I could not see anythin that seemed burnts or melted. Maybe the underside of the board?

Old 02-27-2018, 11:50 PM   #77 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by California98Civic View Post
I used a multimeter and probed, but I am sure I did not have both ends hooked up. In the past, when plugged in, the connector woul spark at the battery. I assumed that meant there was power from the charger, but of course it could be the battery's own power. I should take it apart again and plug both ends in and retest? I could not see anythin that seemed burnts or melted. Maybe the underside of the board?
Could be the capacitors charging up that make it spark...does it spark if plugged in to the wall first?

Could also signify something more significant and potentially hazardous that could damage the BMS. Might be a good idea to check for continuity/resistance between the + and - output end, in case it's shorted between them somewhere.
The Following User Says Thank You to Stubby79 For This Useful Post:
California98Civic (03-02-2018)
Old 03-02-2018, 07:59 AM   #78 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Team Honda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubby79 View Post
Could be the capacitors charging up that make it spark...does it spark if plugged in to the wall first?

Could also signify something more significant and potentially hazardous that could damage the BMS. Might be a good idea to check for continuity/resistance between the + and - output end, in case it's shorted between them somewhere.
Plugged into the wall, it use to spark harder sometimes when plugging in battery. When it failed, the spark at battery was weaker. Charger would draw power for charging light LED but not for the red "ready" LED for connection to the wall.

Old 04-02-2018, 11:17 AM   #79 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Team Honda

MPGe reassessment test

I pulled out my kill-a-watt and plan to do a new estimate of my MGPe on the bike. When I first built it I did a calculation that was more than 3600 MPGe. But I rode it very differently than I have since, and generally. So I want to creat a better more accurate number. I am guessing it will be between 600 MPGe and 1000 MPGe. But we will see. To reduce my own bias, I'll collect the data for two months: total miles and total power consumed. I ride this bike every week, often almost every day. So, it will be hard for me to break habit over a long period of time.

I will also measure both with the onboard dash readout and my kill-a-watt. That way I can compare what the bike uses and total power needed to provide what the bike needs.

Today, my EM bike log says I have ridden a total 4536 miles since June 10, 2015.

Last edited by California98Civic; 04-02-2018 at 11:19 AM.. Reason: Add miles reading for future reference
Old 04-02-2018, 03:04 PM   #80 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

What gets measured gets improved. A basic aero shell could improve the efficiency by 25%.

Reply  Post New Thread