Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Fossil Fuel Free
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2010, 06:27 AM   #21 (permalink)
93 Metro Streamliner

AeroMetro - '93 Geo Metro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryland View Post
I would do as Vpoppv suggested and buy electric car conversions that people gave up on and finish them correctly, you are going to save a ton of money and work this way.
The way I would do it, that would be making a lot of extra work, because every car would be a different mess.

By sticking to one model, I would just have one jig to weld up frames and battery carriers on. Every one would be exactly the same and interchangeable. Use the same components in every vehicle.

I could have a whole system ready to go before the car even came into the shop. Roll the car in, gut it, bolt stuff in, and be done in a few days. No measuring, no adapting, no messing around with found junk.

Last edited by hypermiler01; 11-01-2010 at 06:37 AM..
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 11-01-2010, 08:42 AM   #22 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Chug - '96 Volkswagon Polo CL
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 49.42 mpg (US)

L'Autre - '03 Renault Megane Sport Tourer Expression
Diesel
90 day: 45.02 mpg (US)
I like the idea of your business but i think trying to someone a $3000 car for $10000 might be a bit of reach especially if its been modified to such a degree and has no back up in terms of warranty.

Although Saying that I thinki the idea a couple of posts previous about new cars and trading the engines etc would be pretty cool idea but again tI think that would be more for a larger scale operation.

What I'd do (I know you're getting a lot of people throwing in their 2c) is sell 'the conversion' by which I mean:

peson A brings you the car,

You assess it

Quote for conversion with a margin for new bushes / consumables etc

You 'recycle' their IC hardware to recoup some of the costs.

IF you do go down the buy-convert-sell route, I'd stick to common cars (not sure what that woukld be stateside) but a car thats common on the roads shows its known and liked by the public, is supported parts wise . Aslo make sure you conversions look proffesional, know one wants to buy something with random stray wires routed haphazardly, odd bits of electrical tape or badly crimped connector especially in return for a four-figure fee.

twitter.com/bertchalmers
Old 11-01-2010, 09:47 AM   #23 (permalink)
93 Metro Streamliner

AeroMetro - '93 Geo Metro
Quote:
Originally Posted by robchalmers View Post
I'd stick to common cars (not sure what that would be stateside) but a car thats common on the roads shows its known and liked by the public, is supported parts wise.
Yes, exactly, that would be the Honda Civic.

I would of course include some sort of warranty.

Reply  Post New Thread