Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Motorcycles / Scooters
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2013, 07:15 PM   #121 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,625 Times in 1,450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhtooefr View Post
The Ruggerini MD191 and Lombardini 25LD425-2 (same engine, really) are better options if you can find them. Significantly lighter weight, significantly better build quality.
No doubt, Lombardini engines are good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhtooefr View Post
And, not sure how Brazil's laws are, but in the US, running one of those on public roads is just as legal as running a diesel Smart engine - that is, not at all. (Unless you build a three-wheeler, and then license it as the one EPA-exempt motorcycle that you are allowed to build in your lifetime. Or, if you make a serial hybrid, with the generator not being a part of the vehicle, then it only needs to meet off-road emissions standards.)
Diesels in Brazil are illegal in vehicles with a payload below one ton, unless they're either fitted with dual-range 4WD (altough if they have a single-speed transfer case a granny gear is a valid alternative to the low-range) or have more than 9 seats. But nothing would prevent me to title it as an experimental vehicle fueled with vegetable oils

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 02-02-2013, 07:45 AM   #122 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Prius - '16 Toyota Prius Three
Quote:
Originally Posted by niky View Post
54 hp is pretty good for a diesel of that size. Could probably go up to 70 or more with a high pressure fuel system and VGT, but that would likely double the cost of such a small motor.
For some reason I missed your post...

My understanding is that that IS with a high pressure fuel system on the latest one. (The older ones are earlier generations of common rail tech, though.)

And, you can get over 60 with just a tune on the existing turbo, even on the older ones, as I understand.
Old 02-03-2013, 07:40 PM   #123 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Just got this email from Eliomotors.

We are running a little behind on answering inquiries based on the huge interest we have received over the past couple of weeks, please accept our apologies for the delay. We have updated the website with a lot more information based on questions like yours, so check it out and let us know if you have any more questions we can answer for you. Here is the link: https://www.eliomotors.com/my-strengths/ and pictures: https://www.eliomotors.com/shots/.

As for some of your other questions: Full reverse. We will announce our supplier partners in a couple of months. The vehicle will be very easy to work on (if you have those skills that is!). The final percentage of American parts if not yet determined, and we continue to strive to make that number as high as possible. As far as the price point, we understand. We currently have 85% of the vehicle content priced from our suppliers, and are on target for the price of $6800.

Best,
The Elio Team

Thanks for your interest!
brucepick (04-01-2013), NeilBlanchard (02-03-2013), UltArc (02-04-2013)
Old 02-07-2013, 07:43 PM   #124 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

I see that Lit's C1 weighs in around 800 lbs. If the Elio comes in around the same seems that a fully electric version could work very well too, assuming that the 200 mile range of the C1 is true. If it is true anyone give a guess if the gain of not having gyros to power would counter the larger frontal area of the Elio? Anyone guess if the production cost would go up, down or stay the same?
Old 02-07-2013, 09:27 PM   #125 (permalink)
Hydrogen > EV

Silver Flea - '05 Honda Insight
90 day: 58.96 mpg (US)
I just hate that this is front wheel drive. :/ If it was rear, it would be flawless (so far).

Best Tanks:
Mustang - 54.83 mpg (US) at the Green Grand Prix
Insight - 82.91966 mpg (US) over 818.5 miles.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:08 PM   #126 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

honda cb125 - '74 Honda CB 125 S1
90 day: 79.71 mpg (US)

green wedge - '81 Commuter Vehicles Inc. Commuti-Car

Blue VX - '93 Honda Civic VX
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltArc View Post
I just hate that this is front wheel drive. :/ If it was rear, it would be flawless (so far).
How many rear wheel drive 3 wheeled cars have you driven?
I'd rather have the front wheel drive, when I drove an Myers Motors NMG I noticed that it was really easy to spin the rear tire and that was one of the only things that I didn't like about that car, I would hate to drive rear wheel drive car like that in the winter, for the last month I've been lucky if there were two tire tracks going down main street that were clear to the pavement, the space between them is ice and snow, maybe enough traction for a trailing wheel but not enough traction for a drive wheel! it's fun to watch people who get out of those tracks on the street spin and slide around.
Old 02-08-2013, 07:47 AM   #127 (permalink)
Hydrogen > EV

Silver Flea - '05 Honda Insight
90 day: 58.96 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryland View Post
How many rear wheel drive 3 wheeled cars have you driven?
I'd rather have the front wheel drive, when I drove an Myers Motors NMG I noticed that it was really easy to spin the rear tire and that was one of the only things that I didn't like about that car, I would hate to drive rear wheel drive car like that in the winter, for the last month I've been lucky if there were two tire tracks going down main street that were clear to the pavement, the space between them is ice and snow, maybe enough traction for a trailing wheel but not enough traction for a drive wheel! it's fun to watch people who get out of those tracks on the street spin and slide around.
I have never driven anything with Less than four wheels.

I am sure it is safer, and much better for the masses, but I wouldn't want the understeer. I am not saying its a bad car, just that in my opinion I would rather have rear wheel drive. I know it would be an added difficulty to keep it balanced and the power lost trying to move the front wheels would be lost in the driveline.

Driving in snow is as bad as the driver. I can easily drive in snow without a problem, and maybe in a closed parking lot without other people, poles, and cars, it may then lose traction in the rear...

Best Tanks:
Mustang - 54.83 mpg (US) at the Green Grand Prix
Insight - 82.91966 mpg (US) over 818.5 miles.
Old 02-08-2013, 08:44 AM   #128 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Mica Blue - '05 Scion xA RS 2.0
Team Toyota
90 day: 42.48 mpg (US)

Forest - '15 Nissan Leaf S
Team Nissan
90 day: 156.46 mpg (US)

Number 7 - '15 VW e-Golf SEL
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 155.81 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,950 Times in 1,844 Posts
Center of gravity is critical for 3 wheeled vehicles - it has to be as close to the 2 wheels as possible. Putting the engine closer to the 1 wheel, and you can't get the Cg very close to the 2 wheels.

If you drive the single wheel, by definition it *cannot* have very much weight on it - so you get lousy traction in the rain and snow and on sand.

http://neilblanchard.blogspot.com/
Old 02-08-2013, 11:52 AM   #129 (permalink)
PSmodder lurker

...Golden Rule of Trike Design

Kinda academic but simplified as -
The golden rule of trike design: optimum stability of a tadpole trike with two wheels on the front axle, the center of gravity (center of mass) must be a third of the wheelbase back from the front axle, or achieve a static vertical load of three equal loads of the weight on each wheel; optimally equal to 66% on the front axle and 33% on the rear.

https://www.deferredprocrastination....-trike-design/
The Following User Says Thank You to botsapper For This Useful Post:
3-Wheeler (01-30-2014)
Old 02-08-2013, 12:40 PM   #130 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,625 Times in 1,450 Posts
I'm considering to build a tricycle for a long time, my only concern would be it flipping over while driving uphill

Reply  Post New Thread

Tags
lies, scam