Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Motorcycles / Scooters
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-28-2018, 04:24 PM   #1911 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

GasDwarf - '13 Volkswagen up! EcoFuel CNG
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilBlanchard View Post
Edison ... won the "main" prize of $5 Million. They probably spend $15 Million, or more. They also built an electric version after the X-Prize, and they continued to develop the design, took it to the GM wind tunnel, and started building the production intent prototype. They continued for about 4 years after the X-Prize.
The oil price fell like a rock between the start and actual competition, and the US [customers, and hence investors] were no longer interested ....

Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-28-2018, 04:49 PM   #1912 (permalink)
EcoModding Newb

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 28.39 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Prius Plug-in - '12 Toyota Prius Plug-in
90 day: 79.06 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 28.27 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,817 Times in 1,299 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilBlanchard View Post
Right - Edison2 was a totally different animal. 250cc turbo single cylinder rear wheel drive, seats 4 people, super low aero drag - VERY different designs.

Edison could not have been a money grab - they built 10 prototypes before the X-Prize, and they brought 4 cars. They spent FAR more money than the prize money. They were always a genuine effort to build a 100+ MPG car.

They won the "main" prize of $5 Million. They probably spend $15 Million, or more. They also built an electric version after the X-Prize, and they continued to develop the design, took it to the GM wind tunnel, and started building the production intent prototype. They continued for about 4 years after the X-Prize.
I formed my opinion based on the owner himself saying "this was a one-time shot at making money". Skip to 5:17 to hear him say this.

Perhaps he had been developing the car independently of the X-prize, but saw an opportunity to make easy money with a project he was already working on.

The rules weren't sufficient to accomplish the results they were looking for, which was to promote advanced technologies. Instead the Edison leveraged no new technology, but merely applied what we already know about traveling efficiently; reduce weight and reduce aerodynamic drag.

There is nothing proprietary about their drivetrain, as it uses an existing parts.

The only thing proprietary is the shape of the vehicle, which is unsuitable for actual consumer use.

I found the video interesting, but the "technology" boring. It's a way to win a game, not solve an actual problem.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
Old 09-28-2018, 08:01 PM   #1913 (permalink)
JSH
Master EcoModder

City Slicker - '16 Chevy Spark EV
90 day: 128.6 mpg (US)

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
Last 3: 19.56 mpg (US)

Dieselgate - '14 VW Jetta Sportwagen TDI
90 day: 36.83 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
Elio cars will never be a thing. Perhaps I'm wrong, but I don't think these "inventors" are so much interested in developing compelling technology so much as making a profit.
Maybe I'm giving Elio to much credit because he went to the same engineering school I did but I see it as naivety. People that don't work in the auto industry simply do not understand the massive amount of tooling required to manufacture an automobile. We are talking $750 million to $2 billion to tool up.

If you look at Paul Elio's resume you can see he was way out of his depth trying to build a mass production car. He graduated from GMI with his engineering degree, worked at Johnson Controls for 2 years and then started Elio.
Old 09-28-2018, 11:08 PM   #1914 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 4,003 Times in 3,177 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5
Instead the Edison leveraged no new technology, but merely applied what we already know about traveling efficiently; reduce weight and reduce aerodynamic drag.

There is nothing proprietary about their drivetrain, as it uses an existing parts.

The only thing proprietary is the shape of the vehicle, which is unsuitable for actual consumer use.
I really liked the in-wheel suspension. I think they could have adapted it to a 1937 Ford tube axle (w/o the batwings) and sold it to street rodders.
Old 01-20-2019, 09:15 AM   #1915 (permalink)
Duck duck duck

Red Devil - '11 Honda Insight Elegance
Team Honda
90 day: 55.01 mpg (US)

It - '09 Hyundai I10 Active Cool
Team Hyundai
90 day: 26.84 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,565 Times in 1,022 Posts
Two bit da Vinci held an Elio Motors eulogy: "How this Radical Car Missed its Chance to Change the World"

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RedDevil For This Useful Post:
jkv357 (01-20-2019), MetroMPG (01-20-2019), samwichse (01-21-2019)
Reply  Post New Thread

Tags
scam