Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Motorcycles / Scooters
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2014, 02:55 PM   #461 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr View Post
They may still find their place in export markets as an object of status. In my country, for example, tricycles are generally perceived as a leisure vehicle.
I don't know. It looks a little dorky to be a status symbol. Great for a commuter but I'm not sure I can picture a lot of people getting one to show off.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-05-2014, 03:12 PM   #462 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post
I imagine that it would make more sense to make Elios in or nearer the specific foreign market than to ship it from the U.S. I do not know how many people would complain about that, either.
Right. Make them in China and sell them for 1/2 of what they make them for here.

I just keep getting stuck on the price - there's just too much going on to be that cheap...
Old 05-05-2014, 10:34 PM   #463 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

To Be Determined (Too-be) - '15 Chevrolet Malibu LS Eco
90 day: 35.41 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by k3ith View Post
I don't know. It looks a little dorky to be a status symbol. Great for a commuter but I'm not sure I can picture a lot of people getting one to show off.
Oh it looks extremely dorky. My girlfriend thinks it's the ugliest thing on wheels, and my coworkers would probably laugh me out of the office if I drove up in it.

I sort of like it, but then I always like dumb things so that's not a big shock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkv357 View Post
Right. Make them in China and sell them for 1/2 of what they make them for here.

I just keep getting stuck on the price - there's just too much going on to be that cheap...
Quite a few have pointed out that motorcycles are often more expensive. The problem I have with that is that motorcycle stuff as a whole is expensive. Cyclists pay a big markup for things, because the truth is many of them (especially fans of a certain Milwaukee-based manufacturer) love throwing money around.

Something like a stripped-out Versa runs what? $12,000 MSRP? There's a whole bunch more to even that base model Versa than the Elio. Plus if they're smart, all of the parts are just pulled from other models. Add to it the fact that the super cheap Elio will almost certainly be nowhere to be found (like every base model), and I start to think the numbers could be valid.

Though the build quality will also likely be kit-car level. I wasn't expecting much anyway (maybe better than say, a Zap! Zebra).
Old 05-05-2014, 10:52 PM   #464 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

When the Honda Accord was introduced all the items normally sold as options like AC and power steering came standard. Much depends on knowing the needs of users. People buy vehicles for convenience and enjoyment. Folks soon find a ways to modify and customize their vehicles.
Old 05-05-2014, 11:05 PM   #465 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Lean and Mean - '98 Honda Civic HX
Team Honda
90 day: 46.69 mpg (US)
It looks like Elio now has a shot at securing the Shreveport plant. April 30th was the deadline for an un-named company to buy the plant, but they backed out of the deal. I for one am extremely confused, as I was under the impression Elio had secured the plant.

This is semi-good news, because it means Elio's plan can move forward with a potential manufacturing plant. But it also reveals how flawed Elio's production timeline is. We are in month 5 of 2014, and Elio has not done anything inside their potential home. It's safe to say Elio will not be producing cars in the beginning of 2015 as they have claimed.

Old 05-05-2014, 11:17 PM   #466 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
Last video I watched of Elio said they'd be in production... about now. :/

Old 05-06-2014, 12:38 AM   #467 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Other Andy View Post
Plus if they're smart, all of the parts are just pulled from other models.
Therein lies the rub. Most of us expected them to be using an off-the-shelf Suzuki or Fiat solution. They're now committed to building their own engine.

And that's an expensive decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Other Andy View Post
Though the build quality will also likely be kit-car level. I wasn't expecting much anyway (maybe better than say, a Zap! Zebra).
Everything is better than a Zebra. The gasoline variant costs under $5k over here. Of course, the carbureted 250cc those cars get is probably twice as thirsty as the Elio motor at idle...
Old 05-06-2014, 03:12 AM   #468 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.79 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkv357 View Post

There is no way that you could build the car here and sell it there. I do not see a problem building cars for the Chinese market in China.
Old 05-06-2014, 09:56 AM   #469 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by niky View Post
Therein lies the rub. Most of us expected them to be using an off-the-shelf Suzuki or Fiat solution. They're now committed to building their own engine.

And that's an expensive decision.

(SNIP)
That's news to me. Last I heard they were using a sourced 3 cyl engine (not sure of the manufacturer).

Deciding to build your own engines is a HUGE undertaking. At this point it makes the Elio look even farther from reality.

I really hope they do succeed, but so far there have been a lot of things that don't seem to add-up for the timeline and price-point they are aiming at. This just adds one more.
Old 05-06-2014, 11:25 AM   #470 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Originally, they were rumored to be using a modified/developed/updated Metro engine... which is basically a Suzuki mill... built by someone else.

Now they're going it alone, with high tech spray on liners and a less powerful mill than they originally planned (but with all the twists and turns... who can keep track of the hard numbers?)... probably to eke out even more economy.

I'm quite sure the finished product, if it is ever finished, will be fantastic, and possibly fairly close to the 1 liter (per hundred kays) club. The question really, is the "if" part.

Reply  Post New Thread

Tags
lies, scam