Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Motorcycles / Scooters
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2014, 06:09 PM   #361 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arragonis View Post
So the models are not related to the "the new engine a transmission [that] will be installed in a prototype for summer" but for older ones ? Models can be accurate but observations are far better currency.

*** I don't know. haven't heard if they have built one yet. Could be either or both *****

On a seperate question how are they going to be able to complete testing prior to full production which is quite soon - for example in very wet places, snow, ice, very hot, desert, seaside, mountains, salty roads (that plays hell with electrics), rough roads, high and low speeds, town, city etc etc.

*** The idea of this was that most of it is built on existing parts so much would have had real world testing. ****

For a full sized company a new car development costs about $0.5bn and thats just for the basic cheapy models like the Mirage which probably tested in Alaska or Norway as well as Death Valley and Germany for high speeds.

*** Always remember that is is a Motorcycle and not a car. ***
Sorry I entered my response in the quoted text.

Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 02-03-2014, 06:22 PM   #362 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
If this vehicle is ever built, the price will be at least twice the quote.

regards
Mech
Old 02-03-2014, 07:09 PM   #363 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

See the Ford/Kia being built in India for $6400? India, La, not much different.
Old 02-03-2014, 10:26 PM   #364 (permalink)
OCD Master EcoModder

Outasight - '00 Honda Insight
Team Honda
Gen-1 Insights
90 day: 54.18 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by doclees View Post
They are saying they will have wheel cover options. Just give me 400 HP Nissan tripple and I will be happy!
I'm told the wheel fairings come off after removing four screws. Even if it's six screws, that's pretty good.

I believe they're making the P3 style fenders (the silver demo car that toured summer/fall of 2013) available as an option. Count on that change reducing your mpg noticeably. Whether or not it attracts more women or more thumbs up from gearheads stuck in the '60's is an open question.

Old 02-03-2014, 10:44 PM   #365 (permalink)
OCD Master EcoModder

Team Honda
Gen-1 Insights
Quote:
IIRC you have proof of concept, mule, prototype and then first run production line. So the P4 is still a mule and not the prototype. So summer comes with a new engine and tranny. Run it hard and long to see what breaks and correct it for production. As long as its OS is not Windows based all should be good.
Yes - having followed the Elio pretty closely for about a year now, it looks like the P3 was more an advanced mule than a prototype. The P4 definitely has a more advanced body, with improved aerodynamics, and they've adjusted the front suspension so it is covered by the main body shell, not outside catching wind. P3 and P4 still use the "borrowed" Geo Metro power train.

I do believe the P4 has internal body construction closer to the intended production version. FWIW.

IAV has designed the new engine. That's a good thing; apparently IAV has designed engines and trannies for most of the major auto manufacturers. The new ELIO engine that was shown in recent months was a very costly 3D print, which was damaged or destroyed when an inebriated show attendee knocked into it. I'm sure IAV has built one or more actual engines for testing, but we won't see it in the prototype till June 2014. Current specs are for 55 or 60 hp.

Does that help?

Old 02-03-2014, 10:56 PM   #366 (permalink)
OCD Master EcoModder

Team Honda
Gen-1 Insights
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Mechanic View Post
If this vehicle is ever built, the price will be at least twice the quote.

regards
Mech
Elio has stated consistently that three items are must haves for this vehicle:

$6800 price
84 mpg highway
5 star safety rating

They are designing for those targets. They fully intend to make those targets. Those three items, combined in one vehicle, should make Elio a landmark in its field.

It's important to not add features not already promised on the Elio site to the wish list. These goodies are seen on cars costing 2.5x - 3x Elio's price and we've come to expect them but really, they're not necessary. And they will torpedo the project if Elio tries to deliver them.

Old 02-04-2014, 12:13 AM   #367 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
See the Ford/Kia being built in India for $6400? India, La, not much different.
The Ford being built in India is a zero-star car. Pretty far off the five-star crashworthiness target.
Old 02-04-2014, 10:11 AM   #368 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

A five star equivalent. If you look at the requirements for cars you will see there is currently no catagory to put the P4 even if it was a car. Remember this is a motorcycle. If you are looking for safety in a motorcycle you never going to stop looking. This will be the safest motorcycle mass produced with reverse trike stability, airbags, roll cage, fully enclosed weather protection. Lets be real on this. Anything less than a fully battle equipped HumV is just a metal coffin. Here in PA we play dodge the tractor trailer on the road. Loser dies!
Old 02-04-2014, 12:02 PM   #369 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I have no doubt it will be relatively safe. Just pointing out that the cited Indian cars are a poor example, as they aren't.
Old 02-08-2014, 09:22 AM   #370 (permalink)

Tags
lies, scam