Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2008, 07:50 PM   #11 (permalink)
MP$

Send a message via MSN to diesel_john
I run pure Seirra antifreeze in a cast iron block with aluminum heads. i did it to help prevent detonation. I boiled the water out of the mixture by turning off the fans and taking off the rad cap and letting ti idle until it got to 250 f and there were no more bubbles coming out. It doesn't even boil at 250 now with the cap off. no steam separation in the heads equals a better resistant to detontion. the solution is a little bit more viscous than 50/50 make sure you have a good enough water pump on cold starts to circulate in the block and the stock thermostat will run hotter because of this. i always take out the thermostat and drill a 1/16th hole thur it if its doesn't have a little air bypass check valve built in.

Last edited by diesel_john; 01-24-2008 at 08:01 PM..
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 02-03-2008, 08:49 PM   #12 (permalink)
Master Novice

Josie - '87 Toyota Pickup
90 day: 29.5 mpg (US)

Felicia - '09 Toyota Prius Base
90 day: 50.48 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazarus View Post
Actually I have done this with no affect on FE. Tested it up to 60 mph with no increase.
Ah, well. Ford did it on some of their old Falcon stock cars and it seemed to work well for them - it looked like a car with four headlights, but two of the "lights" were just big holes ducted back to the carbs.

I guess there just isn't enough dynamic effect at the kind of speeds we mere mortals have to drive.

Lead or follow. Either is fine.
Old 02-04-2008, 12:49 AM   #13 (permalink)
Bicycle Junky

Putsaround - '96 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 32.74 mpg (US)

The Commuter - '07 Trek 1000SL
90 day: 617.28 mpg (US)

Zippy - '91 Honda Civic DX
90 day: 33.29 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by elhigh View Post
Ah, well. Ford did it on some of their old Falcon stock cars and it seemed to work well for them - it looked like a car with four headlights, but two of the "lights" were just big holes ducted back to the carbs.

I guess there just isn't enough dynamic effect at the kind of speeds we mere mortals have to drive.
It WOULD have somewhat of an effect at the speeds of race cars purely because they are going 150mph+ in most cases. You have to think though, superchargers spin at speeds approaching 15k-20k RPMs, with that kind of rotation, you get a lot more air then just forcing it in with what you're talking about which is essentially a "ram air" system where the air is being forced in because of your speed.

You're right, at normal, "mortal" speeds you will likely not see any improvement, you may see something at 80+ which is still pretty average (around where I live) for most people to be traveling on the freeway, but no one here is "normal" in that respect I don't believe.
Old 02-05-2008, 11:39 AM   #14 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

beamer - '91 bmw 318is
90 day: 32 mpg (US)
All I know is you want neither the coolest nor the hottest thermostat under the hood, neither of those are meant for any situation except one that specifically calls for it.

On some older cars it has been known the cooler thermostat extends engine life at the cost of some minor mpg loss yes, but the hottest one is as likely to create strains and pressures that may result in premature failure of hoses and pumps and whatever else could go, because as temps increase so does psi.

That having been said I think on most vehicles the second hottest should do well, but I wouldn't push it beyond this.
Old 02-07-2014, 09:31 PM   #15 (permalink)
halos.com

ECONORAM - '07 Dodge RAM 1500 QC SLT flex-fuel
90 day: 18.16 mpg (US)

the Avenger - '08 Dodge Avenger SXT
90 day: 27.06 mpg (US)
Send a message via Yahoo to ECONORAM
I realize this thread has been dormant a while, but it touches a few things I have been stewing over.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG DAVE
I use a 203 degree thermostat, and Evans propylene/ethylene glycol coolant.

I gained 0.5 MPG by doing this. One of the few engine mods I've seen work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel_john View Post
I run pure Seirra antifreeze in a cast iron block with aluminum heads. i did it to help prevent detonation. I boiled the water out of the mixture by turning off the fans and taking off the rad cap and letting ti idle until it got to 250 f and there were no more bubbles coming out. It doesn't even boil at 250 now with the cap off. no steam separation in the heads equals a better resistant to detontion. the solution is a little bit more viscous than 50/50 make sure you have a good enough water pump on cold starts to circulate in the block and the stock thermostat will run hotter because of this. i always take out the thermostat and drill a 1/16th hole thur it if its doesn't have a little air bypass check valve built in.
I realize both of your vehicles are diesels. I was also thinking of switching to Evans Engineering coolant, but I think my truck would require a custom tune to take advantage of the added temperature range. (OEM T-stat is 193.) I thought it might also give an mpg boost, since it'd be retaining more of the combustion energy...instead of wasting it by cooling.
Never thought of drilling a pilot hole in the T-stat. Did you do that even before the coolant swap? I did think about redesigning a T-stat, so it was a butterfly valve that pivoted like a throttle plate, instead of that blob in the pipe...but that would take some work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
I can't answer the thermal stress question, but do have another one: will your engine let you run at higher temps? What's your electric fan's trigger temp?

Temp is a tricky issue because another effect of more heat is less timing advance (engine may be more likely to ping the hotter it gets).
I'd like to raise my truck's running temps to pursue better mpg, but my truck's PCM will pull timing if the water temp is too high. I have installed a warm air intake and an under drive crank pulley. The Taurus e-fan keeps temps in check, but the WAI makes the tranny downshift out of 5th lock sooner (grrrr).

Evans advises everyone using it to run a non-pressure coolant cap, or the fluid will never boil...which would make it less effective. I don't think gaskets would be a problem with Evans coolant (boils at 375* at 0 psi), but the timing loss in my truck would make it a dismal mod, I think. And...just because the coolant is hotter doesn't mean combustion is any hotter, does it? Hmmm, might even be able to delete the radiator fan...would definitely need a digital temp gauge.
Old 02-08-2014, 04:01 PM   #16 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

My Lupo3L Tdi apparently has a 92deg stat, it definately runs in the mid 90's once warmed up (eventually)

Kermit the Lupo 3L 1.2 Tdi with a current mpg record of 114mpg (imperial) Now sold

G1 JDM Insight I hate the ride but love the quirkiness
Old 02-08-2014, 05:01 PM   #17 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,221 Times in 4,648 Posts
temp and efficiency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazarus View Post
The hotter the engine the more effecient. I'm currently running water temps of 200-207. If I bumped that up to 215-220 and ran a high quaility coolant. What kind of bump in FE do you think? At what temp would the head gasket become a concern.
The only relationship that I know of,is raising the temp in the combustion process with high-temp metalurgy or ceramics such that the delta-T is actually increased and waste heat eliminated.An adiabatic cycle.No cooling system.
Experimental engines have been tested.Nitrogen oxides were an issue at temps where 'inert' gases begin to react.
Vapor-phase or dry lubrication is also of interest.
Be careful.
Old 02-25-2014, 01:18 PM   #18 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

beamer - '91 bmw 318is
90 day: 32 mpg (US)
It's funny how over the years the one thing I found with absolute consistency is that nothing, absolutely nothing comes without some sort of side effect.

Anything I do that saves fuel ends up costing me elsewhere.
And in most cases, it costs way more than fuel I ever saved.

In this particular case I learned (especially with trucks) that higher engine temperatures usually results in higher transmission temperatures... The transmission sits right behind and below the engine, a lot of the engine's heat gets transferred to it, the hotter the engine runs, the faster the transmission warms up.

I hope I don't have to get into what happens to an automatic transmission when it gets too hot, but lets just say they quoted me north of $2000 for a rebuild and I am now running a low temp 160F degree thermostat.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 8307c4 For This Useful Post:
ECONORAM (03-03-2014), yoyoyoda (03-02-2014)
Old 03-01-2014, 06:11 PM   #19 (permalink)
Master Ecomadman

sc1 - '98 saturn sc1
Team Saturn
90 day: 43.17 mpg (US)

Airplane Bike - '11 home built Carp line Tour

rans - '97 rans tailwind

tractor - '66 International Cub cadet 129

2002 Space Odyssey - '02 Honda Odyssey EX-L
90 day: 28.25 mpg (US)

red bug - '00 VW beetle TDI

big tractor - '66 ford 3400

red vw - '00 VW new beetle TDI
90 day: 58.42 mpg (US)

RV - '88 Winnebago LeSharo
90 day: 16.67 mpg (US)
I had my corvair engine running pretty hot, maybe 230Fto 240F enough to make new o-rings hard as rock in a month (this happens at over 225F for buna-N).

The Following User Says Thank You to arcosine For This Useful Post:
ECONORAM (03-03-2014)
Old 03-02-2014, 07:18 PM   #20 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8307c4 View Post
I hope I don't have to get into what happens to an automatic transmission when it gets too hot, but lets just say they quoted me north of $2000 for a rebuild and I am now running a low temp 160F degree thermostat.
I realized that this forum doesn't actually know that much about automatic transmissions, despite the damage that can be caused with their unsafe operating temperatures. For example a front full grille block, I would like to see what temperatures their transmissions are running at...

Sorry to hear that yours was damaged.

The Following User Says Thank You to yoyoyoda For This Useful Post:
Cobb (03-02-2014)
Reply  Post New Thread