Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2014, 10:05 PM   #1 (permalink)
Furry Furfag

Winsight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Miaderp - '95 Mazda Miata
90 day: 28.53 mpg (US)
EOC in a 1991 Jeep wrangler 4x4?

Hi guys, my little brother keeps bugging me to ask all my 'gas mileage friends' so I thought I would ask for him.

He has a 1991 Jeep wrangler 4x4 4.0L. He wants to know if he can EOC in neutral when the car is in 2WD. He took a lot of driving tips from me and went from 16-21mpg in the city, he doesn't drive a lot of freeway (about 10% tops) so he would be EOC a lot. Any help is appreciated.

Oh btw, yes its a manual and he is only asking because he doesn't want to damage his 4x4.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-04-2014, 04:08 AM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baltothewolf View Post
Hi guys, my little brother keeps bugging me to ask all my 'gas mileage friends' so I thought I would ask for him.

He has a 1991 Jeep wrangler 4x4 4.0L. He wants to know if he can EOC in neutral when the car is in 2WD. He took a lot of driving tips from me and went from 16-21mpg in the city, he doesn't drive a lot of freeway (about 10% tops) so he would be EOC a lot. Any help is appreciated.

Oh btw, yes its a manual and he is only asking because he doesn't want to damage his 4x4.
The transfer case is connected to the transmission, not the engine. You won't hurt the transfer case by turning the engine off and coasting in neutral.

Keep in mind that these Jeeps are often used as RV Toads (towed behind a motorhome) and many rack up far more miles with the engine off than on...

2001 Civic HX Mods

CTS-V

2003 Silverado Mods
Old 08-04-2014, 04:18 AM   #3 (permalink)
Furry Furfag

Quote:
Originally Posted by darcane View Post
The transfer case is connected to the transmission, not the engine. You won't hurt the transfer case by turning the engine off and coasting in neutral.

Keep in mind that these Jeeps are often used as RV Toads (towed behind a motorhome) and many rack up far more miles with the engine off than on...
I thought you had to have the 4x4 gear selector in neutral as well as the normal gear shifter in neutral to tow a 4x4 safely?

Old 08-04-2014, 06:28 AM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

UFI - '12 Fiat 500 Twinair
Team Turbocharged!
90 day: 40.3 mpg (US)

Jeep - '05 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
90 day: 18.09 mpg (US)

R32 - '89 Nissan Skyline

STiG - '16 Renault Trafic 140dCi Energy
90 day: 30.12 mpg (US)

Prius - '05 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 50.25 mpg (US)

Premodded - '49 Ford Freighter
90 day: 13.48 mpg (US)

F-117 - '10 Proton Arena GLSi
Pickups
Mitsubishi
90 day: 37.82 mpg (US)

Ralica - '85 Toyota Celica ST
90 day: 25.23 mpg (US)

Sx4 - '07 Suzuki Sx4
90 day: 32.21 mpg (US)

F-117 (2) - '03 Citroen Xsara VTS
90 day: 30.06 mpg (US)
You can't really P&G a Jeep because you'll loose speed too quickly thanks to it's worse than a brick aerodynamics. SG2 suggests than P&G is less efficient than DWL as the pulses are too long and the glides too short.

If the hill is really, really steep, you can EOC, but the steering becomes extremely heavy.

The 91 probably won't have DFCO at all so EOC up to a stop/ red light is a good idea.

The big 4.0 isn't too keen on being bump started, but with enough practise it can be done.

The Wrangler is an old school part time 4wd system, you can be in 2 or 4wd and just bump start it like any other manual. You won't harm it. I suppose if it were flat towed long distances putting the T/Case in neutral saves a little trans wear (no part the the trans would be spinning), but it really doesn't apply to this situation.

I normally get into the low 20's without EOC (Hardtop, 31" tyres).

Old 08-04-2014, 06:33 AM   #5 (permalink)
Furry Furfag

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtamiyaphile View Post
You can't really P&G a Jeep because you'll loose speed too quickly thanks to it's worse than a brick aerodynamics. SG2 suggests than P&G is less efficient than DWL as the pulses are too long and the glides too short.

If the hill is really, really steep, you can EOC, but the steering becomes extremely heavy.

The 91 probably won't have DFCO at all so EOC up to a stop/ red light is a good idea.

The big 4.0 isn't too keen on being bump started, but with enough practise it can be done.

The Wrangler is an old school part time 4wd system, you can be in 2 or 4wd and just bump start it like any other manual. You won't harm it. I suppose if it were flat towed long distances putting the T/Case in neutral saves a little trans wear (no part the the trans would be spinning), but it really doesn't apply to this situation.

I normally get into the low 20's without EOC (Hardtop, 31" tyres).
Thanks, and yea he just wants to shut it off when he sees a red light, he isn't going to P&G EOC he doesn't have the patience for that even if he did have a economy car lol.

Old 08-04-2014, 05:01 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baltothewolf View Post
I thought you had to have the 4x4 gear selector in neutral as well as the normal gear shifter in neutral to tow a 4x4 safely?
Just the T-case.

With a manual tranny, it's fine to leave the tranny in neutral and the T-case in gear, you just have a little wear on the tranny that could be avoided.

With an auto, it is recommended to be left in Park when towing. I assume it is to keep the output shaft from spinning while the tranny fluid isn't flowing.

I occasionally EOC'd my Wrangler, but the coasting distance was abysmal, so I rarely bothered. I never had an issue bump starting it, but it was just a 4 banger.

2001 Civic HX Mods

CTS-V

2003 Silverado Mods
Reply  Post New Thread