Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Motorcycles / Scooters
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2008, 10:43 AM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

The sedan of rad - '01 Honda Accord LX
Gas scooter questions

I'm considering purchasing a Honda scooter (the Metropolitan or the Ruckus) to shift some of the burden of my commute to work from my gas-guzzling V6 to a more fuel-efficient vehicle. I have a couple of concerns that I need to address before I can decide if this is a practical alternative.

1. Is there a significant difference in mileage between the Metropolitan and the Ruckus? I much prefer the style of the Ruckus, but I wouldn't want to pay extra for the style only to lose significant fuel economy. I noticed the Ruckus weighs a little more, but they seem pretty similar otherwise based on the specifications.

2. How do insurance companies feel about these vehicles? Am I going to be paying as much for this as I do for car insurance? Of course, I will call my own insurance company tomorrow, but I wanted to see if anyone has personal experience they can share in the meantime.

3. What kind of life can I expect to get from a scooter? One source has suggested 25,000 miles before major repairs. This would get me far enough to pay for the thing and gain a little savings, but the savings would be modest at best.

4. What kind of maintenance is required for these vehicles? How often is it required?

5. Are these vehicles safe to operate in the rain? I understand inclement weather will make operating any vehicle less safe, but will I damage the vehicle if it is exposed to the weather?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-11-2008, 02:26 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

honda cb125 - '74 Honda CB 125 S1
90 day: 79.71 mpg (US)

green wedge - '81 Commuter Vehicles Inc. Commuti-Car

Blue VX - '93 Honda Civic VX
Both of those scooters have a belt drive and that is going to be one of the highest matanice parts after tires, oil changes and adding gas to the gas tank, tires should last 5,000-15,000 miles depending on the quality and cost $20-70 each, the drive belt costs $19 from Honda, brakes are $18 per wheel, most things are cheap, even rebuilding the entire engine is cheap, around $300 will buy you a new cylinder, piston, rings, crankshaft, but really, the engine should last at least 30,000 miles and at that point if you spent $50 you could get it board out, go with the first over size ring set, piston and come really close to having a new engine with slightly more power, my point is, it is a low priced vehicle to own.
If you are thinking about buying something new and like Honda quality, check out the Sachs Madass, it appears to use a Honda engine only with what I think is a better automatic tranny, and if you want to you can swap in a 4 speed manual to get more speed and better mileage.
Old 05-13-2008, 10:16 AM   #3 (permalink)
Veggiedynamics

Volt12 - '12 Chevy Volt base
Check your local laws etc.. most scooters over 50cc are considered motorcycles, and under 50cc don't need motorcycle license to drive.. some states have laws about how fast they go etc..

However scooters or small CC motorcycles are great MPG getters, my 250cc motorcycles get 60-75 mpg... many of the small 100cc scooters will pull down over 100mpg.

Old 05-13-2008, 10:41 AM   #4 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

The sedan of rad - '01 Honda Accord LX
Thanks, Ryland, for the in-depth maintenance information. My problem is I have never worked on engines and know very little about them. I always have any maintenance on my car professionally done which will make everything more expensive. I do have an idea now of what I'm in for. It seems pretty minor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebacherville View Post
Check your local laws etc.. most scooters over 50cc are considered motorcycles, and under 50cc don't need motorcycle license to drive.. some states have laws about how fast they go etc..

However scooters or small CC motorcycles are great MPG getters, my 250cc motorcycles get 60-75 mpg... many of the small 100cc scooters will pull down over 100mpg.
I'm hoping to ask about law at the dealership. I have tired the Tennessee Department of safety which says motor scooters are not street legal. I have a feeling they are talking about toy motor scooters, but they never actually define them. They also say motorized bicycles under 50cc (the scooters I'm looking at are 49cc) do not require a special license and are street legal. Once again, they never define what a "motorized bicycle" is.
Old 05-13-2008, 08:11 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

honda cb125 - '74 Honda CB 125 S1
90 day: 79.71 mpg (US)

green wedge - '81 Commuter Vehicles Inc. Commuti-Car

Blue VX - '93 Honda Civic VX
it's vagueness like that that inspired me to read my states law around motorcycles, mopeds, motor bicycles, it can save you alot of money and keep you out of trouble.
Old 05-17-2008, 01:52 PM   #6 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Blue - '77 Chevy P/U
find any site's ???
Old 06-02-2011, 05:14 AM   #7 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Gas Scooters

Gas scooters are distinguishable from motorcycles in a few important ways. First, a scooter's engine is less powerful, with only one or two cylinders and a displacement of less than 50 cubic centimeters (cc). Many laws also define scooters as being unable to exceed a speed of 30 miles per hour on a flat surface.
Old 06-02-2011, 08:08 AM   #8 (permalink)
Land speed racer

Hi
First DO NOT BUY A CHINESE SCOOTER. The quality is very low and you can not get replacement parts. Also no one will do service and repairs.

Find a reputable dealer that will service what they sell. The first service is at 600 miles. it is important because it involves changing the oil in the final drive .The break in oil must be replaced with synthetic oil at that time. After that the belt drive gets done at 7500 miles. Four stroke engines require an oil change every 2500 miles. then it is just tires and breaks

Basically the 50 cc scooter comes restricted to 30 mph . You are not allowed to go over 30 mph without a motorcycle license. As for tags Most states will allow 50cc scooters to ride on secondary roads without tags . But ask the dealer.
De restricting a scooter involves removing parts from the exhaust and the trans . It is something the dealer can do for a charge or have them do it free with the purchases.

The other difference is two stroke VS four stroke. The four stroke 50 is VERY slow. At least with a two stroke 50 you can keep up with traffic. On that note remember that a scooter is every bit as dangerous as a motorcycle . Getting a license is easy and fun to do.

The Honda Ruckus is expensive compared to the other scooters on the market. and the Metro is very small so sit on it before you buy.
Check out scooters from Kymco or Genuine. They are very good and the price is good. Also fuel injection is a good idea because of the ethanol fuel will ruin the carb if it sits over winter.

Feel free to PM me any questions you have about scooters .I ride a 50 cc scooter everyday as primary transportation. I spent 4 dollars on gas last week. But I don't know how far I went. I will start tracking my mileage since joining this forum.
Old 06-02-2011, 09:01 AM   #9 (permalink)
ECO-Evolution

Iron Horse (retired) - '97 Iron horse Intrepid

Ninja - '08 Kawasaki 250R
90 day: 76.23 mpg (US)
I've got a Yamaha 3C gets great mileage easy to work on and very reliable. Insurance was $100 a year. I would agree to go to your DMV website and read the rules. In TX you are required to have a moped license with the under 49cc which involves just doing the the written portion of the motorcycle test.

Old 06-02-2011, 09:25 AM   #10 (permalink)
Land speed racer

Yes definitly check the laws and rules that apply to your state. I live inMaryland. Insurance is a very good idea. The cost is low and theft seems to be the biggest problem with them since two people can lift it into a van or pick up.

Reply  Post New Thread