Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2012, 02:07 PM   #11 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Lean and Mean - '98 Honda Civic HX
Team Honda
90 day: 46.69 mpg (US)
Its very hard to believe you without more testing and the fact that you no longer have this SUV anymore. Simply opening up the air intake would not give you these results unless the stock setup was extremely restrictive and the filter was clogged up. And you proved that putting on a high-flow filter afterwards gave you no results. So its obvious your test was some kind of a fluke. Either you drove the car better, conditions were better that day, or something else. You cannot confirm that your results were due to opening up the intake unless you did multiple tests like the A-B-A-B procedure. You're a little late on the April Fools jokes.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-06-2012, 04:33 PM   #12 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdchmiel View Post
when you did this experiment, did any other variables change at the same time?
Did you go from a very small restrictive oem filter to no restriction, allowing the big piggy engine to operate with less vacuum? Do you have a vacuum gauge to measure changes being made?
Did your panty hose on the end of a hose drastically change the location air was being pulled from, ie from the relatively cold outside to the relatively warm inside, near an exhaust header or similar?
Yes.. Way less restriction is a given. No air temperature change.

One thing that did happen was it seemed the computer figured something out after a while and the engine would die when coming to a stop without giving it gas. Directly because of no air filter restriction
Old 04-06-2012, 04:36 PM   #13 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbaber View Post
Its very hard to believe you without more testing and the fact that you no longer have this SUV anymore. Simply opening up the air intake would not give you these results unless the stock setup was extremely restrictive and the filter was clogged up. And you proved that putting on a high-flow filter afterwards gave you no results. So its obvious your test was some kind of a fluke. Either you drove the car better, conditions were better that day, or something else. You cannot confirm that your results were due to opening up the intake unless you did multiple tests like the A-B-A-B procedure. You're a little late on the April Fools jokes.
Your right but I probably put 100 tanks of gas in it in a year and SOMETGING changed. Maybe it caused it to run lean because computer couldn't compensate enough? But something did change and it wasn't me. I had never gotten close to that high except that one time. I always drove speed limit with cruise controll on. That day was all highway not a windy day but the tank or tank and a half was split over 2 directions. West and then east. No real altitude change.
Old 04-06-2012, 06:27 PM   #14 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Boo Radley - '65 Ford F100
90 day: 13.28 mpg (US)
Why don't you do an ABA test with your current vehicle and get back to us. Quite honestly, doing one mod for one tank and claiming 30% increase in FE doesn't really prove anything... yet.
Old 04-06-2012, 06:50 PM   #15 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Well id like to not let damaging particles into my engine but I suppose it can't hurt. It's a 2006 LR3. And I don't do anywhere near the highway driving that I used to do with it. I wouldn't trust the results with mixed driving. And there ain't no way in hell I'm doing it to my 2012 jetta tdi.

Reply  Post New Thread