Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2022, 04:09 PM   #61 (permalink)
Corporate imperialist

Sub - '84 Chevy Diesel Suburban C10
SUV
90 day: 19.5 mpg (US)

camaro - '85 Chevy Camaro Z28

Riot - '03 Kia Rio POS
Team Hyundai
90 day: 30.21 mpg (US)

Bug - '01 VW Beetle GLSturbo
90 day: 26.43 mpg (US)

Sub2500 - '86 GMC Suburban C2500
90 day: 11.95 mpg (US)

Snow flake - '11 Nissan Leaf SL
SUV
90 day: 141.63 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,528 Times in 2,802 Posts
There is no climate crisis.
Repeating a lie won't make it true.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-02-2022, 04:12 PM   #62 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,390 Times in 3,364 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
1) 'Solving' the climate crisis was always the easy part.
2) As with anything else, you'd defer to those with the specialized knowledge.
3) You'd do what works.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
4) The real challenge has been the 'implications' of the solution, as borne out in the PBS FRONTLINE special.
5) I can confidently surmise that all your reservations about climate 'solutions' were crafted by the people who are showcased on the program, paid for by the people showcased on the program.
6) The 'fundamental human nature' aspect will fall to the same type of people who crafted climate denial.
7) 72-hours is all they need. You can see it with what the media did with Ukraine.
8) The market place is where it's going to happen or not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
1) COVID wasn't a product sold on the global market.
2) There weren't COVID cartels and trade organizations.
3) There weren't carnival barker lobbyists from the Big- COVID financing congressional election and re-election campaigns.) Big-COVID wasn't President.
Big-COVID wasn't White House Chief of Staff.
Big-COVID wasn't Secretary of State, Energy, Representatives, Senators.
COVID really isn't germane to a climate conversation.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
4) The plan would be to get off fossil-fuel as fast as we could and remove extant carbon-dioxide from the atmosphere, down to at least 350ppm.
The Green New Deal would be 'free' compared to what business as usual will cost.
5) Beware of 'truths.'
6) Those who 'knew' about climate change already understood that we faced doing the 'impossible' as not doing it would take us to the 'unthinkable.'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If Exxon had 'owned' the reality of the situation, rather than obfuscate, we would have had an early start on resolving the issue. The USA could have had a national energy strategy. Public education could have educated. Bring the full force of innovation and R&D to the table. Ease ourselves off the fossil-fuel teat. Buy time. Move investments. Get rich differently. Demand for oil would decline incrementally. There would be no void to fill. With alternates, people wouldn't touch the stuff. Exxon was already into photovoltaics. They would have been rewarded (I rewarded Atlantic Richfield Corporation ( ARCO ) for theirs! ). Exxon was in lithium ( that's workin' out pretty good right now! ). Exxon is already in a criminal trial in a US District Court ( Juliana vs United States ), We'll see how that goes.
7) It takes about 72-hours to start a war, whether with a country, drugs, or heating planet. That part's easy.
8) The economy IS where we'll do it, or not. Carrots are better than sticks. Sticks suffice when there's no options. President Woodrow Wilson suspended the 1st-Amendment in 1918, when he thought the security of the nation swung in the balance. Machiavellian. Art of War.
1-3 What's your point? Mine was that a good solution isn't myopic, and you didn't present any evidence to refute that claim.

The reason I mention Covid is to highlight the difference in personality that causes our differing opinions. There are those of us that have extremely high faith in the ability of experts to accurately understand extremely complex systems AND political machines to create effective solutions. Then there are those of us that have little faith in experts ability to predict, and political machines to efficiently solve problems.

Tangentially, I tend to believe I'm most able to affect outcomes given situations I encounter, whereas the opposite of my personality believes they are mostly helpless to affect outcomes, and highly dependent on systems to determine their future.

As an aside, Big Oil is big because it met the market requirements of consumers, not because we got duped into some inferior product that nobody would want.

In hindsight, Exxon was foolish to have wasted so much money on researching something which is outside their area of concern. They simply could say that they are in the business of extracting petroleum products and selling it, and if someone doesn't want their product, they'll sell it to someone else that does. I have no idea why they waste so much effort even stepping into politics because it's ultimately pointless.

4- That's not a plan, it's a somewhat arbitrary goal.

5- Similar to the scientific process, truth seeking isn't an endpoint, but a process of moving towards it.

6- Even if we assume all that is true, that some knew the cost and the imperative, do you think they could have significantly affected the outcome? How?

7- Nobody is going to wage war against pleasantly warming outdoor thermostat. That's why human motivation has to factor into the solution.

8- Sticks never work long-term. Only so many people go to Gulag until you run out of people.

Regarding your other comments, some of which are obvious, some of which I agree, and some of which are absurd. You cannot force innovation. If I tell someone to invent harder, it doesn't work. Innovation mostly depends on time, as every new development is built upon all prior achievement. Public education is already uber-liberal. There's no kids in the US that have gone K-12 without constantly being pressured to develop climate anxiety. We'll pay for that unhealthy anxiety.

As I'm always saying, the best way to facilitate innovation is to make the cost of the behavior you want to change become more expensive over time. Gradually increase the cost of fossil fuels, and people will figure out an infinite number of ways to make due with less of the stuff. All other schemes are idiotic by comparison.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!

Last edited by redpoint5; 05-02-2022 at 04:46 PM..
Old 05-02-2022, 05:14 PM   #63 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,221 Times in 4,648 Posts
#62(permalink)

I'll be back Thursday. There's not enough time remaining to get back into it.
Old 05-02-2022, 05:19 PM   #64 (permalink)
Corporate imperialist

Sub - '84 Chevy Diesel Suburban C10
SUV
90 day: 19.5 mpg (US)

camaro - '85 Chevy Camaro Z28

Riot - '03 Kia Rio POS
Team Hyundai
90 day: 30.21 mpg (US)

Bug - '01 VW Beetle GLSturbo
90 day: 26.43 mpg (US)

Sub2500 - '86 GMC Suburban C2500
90 day: 11.95 mpg (US)

Snow flake - '11 Nissan Leaf SL
SUV
90 day: 141.63 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,528 Times in 2,802 Posts
See all the frantic posting?
They know it's over.
But will they accept it.
Old 05-02-2022, 05:47 PM   #65 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,584 Times in 7,068 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5
In hindsight, Exxon was foolish to have wasted so much money on researching something which is outside their area of concern.
I think they figured out that they are in the energy business, not the petroleum business (people don't want a 1/4" drill, they want a 1/4" hole. (.25 caliber )) It may be they strayed outside their area of expertise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibid
As I'm always saying, the best way to facilitate innovation is to make the cost of the behavior you want to change become more expensive over time.
This directly contradicts Fuller:
Quote:
https://libquotes.com › buckminster-fuller › quote › lbp3h4a
Don't attempt to reform man. An adequately organized ...
Buckminster Fuller quote: Don't attempt to reform man. An adequately organized environment will permit humanity's original, innate capabilities to become successful. Source: Utopia or oblivion: the prospects for humanity (ed. 1969) ... Buckminster Fuller. Creative Commons. Born: July 12, 1895. Died: July 1, 1983 (aged 87) Buckminster Fuller ...

The Following User Says Thank You to freebeard For This Useful Post:
redpoint5 (05-02-2022)
Old 05-05-2022, 01:04 PM   #66 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,221 Times in 4,648 Posts
1-3

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
1-3 What's your point? Mine was that a good solution isn't myopic, and you didn't present any evidence to refute that claim.

The reason I mention Covid is to highlight the difference in personality that causes our differing opinions. There are those of us that have extremely high faith in the ability of experts to accurately understand extremely complex systems AND political machines to create effective solutions. Then there are those of us that have little faith in experts ability to predict, and political machines to efficiently solve problems.

Tangentially, I tend to believe I'm most able to affect outcomes given situations I encounter, whereas the opposite of my personality believes they are mostly helpless to affect outcomes, and highly dependent on systems to determine their future.

As an aside, Big Oil is big because it met the market requirements of consumers, not because we got duped into some inferior product that nobody would want.

In hindsight, Exxon was foolish to have wasted so much money on researching something which is outside their area of concern. They simply could say that they are in the business of extracting petroleum products and selling it, and if someone doesn't want their product, they'll sell it to someone else that does. I have no idea why they waste so much effort even stepping into politics because it's ultimately pointless.

4- That's not a plan, it's a somewhat arbitrary goal.

5- Similar to the scientific process, truth seeking isn't an endpoint, but a process of moving towards it.

6- Even if we assume all that is true, that some knew the cost and the imperative, do you think they could have significantly affected the outcome? How?

7- Nobody is going to wage war against pleasantly warming outdoor thermostat. That's why human motivation has to factor into the solution.

8- Sticks never work long-term. Only so many people go to Gulag until you run out of people.

Regarding your other comments, some of which are obvious, some of which I agree, and some of which are absurd. You cannot force innovation. If I tell someone to invent harder, it doesn't work. Innovation mostly depends on time, as every new development is built upon all prior achievement. Public education is already uber-liberal. There's no kids in the US that have gone K-12 without constantly being pressured to develop climate anxiety. We'll pay for that unhealthy anxiety.

As I'm always saying, the best way to facilitate innovation is to make the cost of the behavior you want to change become more expensive over time. Gradually increase the cost of fossil fuels, and people will figure out an infinite number of ways to make due with less of the stuff. All other schemes are idiotic by comparison.
A) Which 1-3 do you want to discuss? One is 'apples', the other is 'oranges.'
B) Where does myopia enter the equation? ( climate change or COVID )
C) As to 'faith', which camp are you in. Time is precious, I don't want to waste it on ambiguity.
D) There's a presumption on your part that, consumers would have demonstrated the same demand for Exxon products, had they actually understood the ramifications for 'using' the products.
E) Until you read The Art of War, you'll be at a complete disadvantage as to understanding that Exxon would be compelled to do the research as a matter of business survival.
F) If carbon-dioxide were to be defined as 'toxic' ( as the crew of Apollo-13 would attest to ), the EPA would have a mandate to 'control' it.
G) If that were to happen, then it would be reflected on Wall Street, and on share values. Golden parachutes.
H) Carbon-dioxide might have taken on the charm of Tesch-und Stabenow's Zyklon-B gift gas.
I) Considering the 1918 world population, Spanish Influenza, and net mortality rate, the CDC might have considered 4.5-million American deaths for the COVID pandemic, without mitigation intervention. Their charter mandate is to protect the public health, as their specialized knowledge might inform them. If that happened to tread on your under-informed sensibilities, I'd still go with whatever they recommended, and perhaps you'd survive to complain about the whole affair. We're pushing 1,000,000 dead Americans. Some who 'survived' COVID now have $3,300,000 medical bills, from months in ICU.
J) Yes siree! Those free tests, vaccinations, and boosters were a horrible idea! $ 3.3-million in debt is certainly the preferred path.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
4) The 'Green New Deal' is an actionable model for a beginning to a solution. And for soda-pop money. Ecological economist, Giorgos Kallis, of the Universtat Autonoma de Barcelona considers: 'The GND is the best proposal out there for moving us in the right direction.'
5) I maintain that 'truth' is culturally relative, whereas 'fact' is testable and quantifiable.
6) If it was agreed upon that, we faced an existential threat, the full force of the 'arsenal of freedom' could be activated in a war on climate change.
7) There's no such thing as a 'pleasantly warming outdoor thermostat. If you'd taken Sun Tsu's admonition to 'sleep with the enemy,' you'd know how asinine any soft-handling of the climate crisis would be taken. You're completely out of your depth on this one.
8) Carrots are preferred to sticks, but Machiavelli instructs us that there comes a point where a sovereign must pull out the sticks. ( President Woodrow Wilson's Sedition Act of 1918 for example ).
Regarding...................
I would direct your attention to:
* Applied mathematics
* Applied physics
* Appropriability framework
* Avoidance of duplication
* Interventionist industrial policy
* Cost recovery
* DOE Office of Science
* DOE Office of Fossil Energy
* Economies of scale
* Education
* Government subsidization of research
* US President's Committee of Advisors on Science & Technology
* US Office of Technology Assessment
* Utilization of inventions
* MIT' Commission on Industrial Productivity
* R&D tax credits
* Indispensable high technology capability
* integration of R&D into planning and operations
* Investment tax credits
* Reduced capital gains tax
* Federal loan guarantees
* Long-term investment
* Materials technology
* Domestic equity purchases
* Tax exemptions to employer-provided subsidies
* Intergovernmental- university- industrial cooperation
* Anti-trust law revision
* The National Laboratories
* The Small Business Administration
* Defense Advanced Research Projects Administration ( DARPA )
* Rationalization of production
* JASON
* The Institute for Advanced Research, Princeton University
* RAND Corporation
* Mitre Corporation
* The Club of Rome
* Local land use policies
* Public subsidies
* Private subsidies
* Scientific mercanticism
* Socially valuable inventions
* Strategic technologies
* Training
* Zoning regulations
' the development of technology is the major source of economic growth.'
David C. Mowery & Nathan Rosenberg,' Technology and the Pursuit of Economic Growth,' 1989.
Old 05-10-2022, 03:29 PM   #67 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,390 Times in 3,364 Posts
Here we go, listening to part 3 now...

I kept hope up that the series would get better, but they severely handicapped themselves by carefully limited the focus to;

"investigating the fossil fuel industry’s history of casting doubt and delaying action on climate change. "

Ok, that's a boring topic with not much material. I could sum up the all 3 episodes in this sentence "Exxon invested tons of their own money to research global warming and alternative energy and found global warming is outside their sphere of responsibility and alternatives to not be viable in a free marketplace."

This surprises and alarms nobody.

There were many, many instances where they imply a problem that begs a quantified answer, but no facts were given. Methane bad, we got it. How much methane is the natural gas industry responsible for releasing? They didn't even begin to answer that, only imply it's really bad because an old lady with a camera sees stuff.

The show would often stray from the stated topic into global warming, but then clumsily pull itself back in.

It was somewhat entertaining and extremely low on information. I expect better from Frontline.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!

Last edited by redpoint5; 05-10-2022 at 04:52 PM..
Reply  Post New Thread