Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2021, 04:32 PM   #31 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,628 Times in 1,453 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRONICK View Post
Ford Mustang Mach-E fails the Moose Test
Reminds me the day I was driving (the Argentinian way) a Nissan XTerra, and had to detour from a piece of tread that went loose of some truck tyre. Did such at a higher speed, and didn't seem even close to lose control. So I take the so-called moose test always with a grain of salt.

The Following User Says Thank You to cRiPpLe_rOoStEr For This Useful Post:
aerohead (10-01-2021)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-04-2021, 02:59 AM   #32 (permalink)
-----------------

:)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr View Post
Reminds me the day I was driving (the Argentinian way) a Nissan XTerra, and had to detour from a piece of tread that went loose of some truck tyre. Did such at a higher speed, and didn't seem even close to lose control. So I take the so-called moose test always with a grain of salt.
It's a global conspiracy ...
Old 10-04-2021, 07:26 AM   #33 (permalink)
High Altitude Hybrid

Avalon - '13 Toyota Avalon HV
90 day: 40.45 mpg (US)

Prius - '06 Toyota Prius
Quote:
But how fast?

In the parts of Mexico I've been in the regular speed limits are around 60kph with maximum limits of around 80. And with the way the roads are laid out, going even at those speeds can feel quite fast. But here, not too far from where I live, there's a highway with a speed limit of 80mph (130kph) and most people go faster than that, usually around 90mph (145kph).

It's been my observation that bigger vehicles, especially SUV's, are the ones that end up flipped over on the side of the road. One dry summer day a SUV flipped over on a 55mph (90kph) highway in front of me from trying to avoid a deer. I'm not sure what model the SUV was, but it was similar to an Xterra.

When ice and snow are on the road things get even worse. One day during an ice storm on a straight, flat highway I counted 12 vehicles flipped over off the side of the road besides a semi truck. All 12 were pickups or SUV's.
Old 10-04-2021, 01:12 PM   #34 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac Zachary View Post
But how fast?
Around 90 to 110kph.
aerohead (10-06-2021)
Old 10-06-2021, 10:32 AM   #35 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,227 Times in 4,654 Posts
flipped

Around here, rollovers are limited to jacked-up 4WD pickups and SUVs. Mostly during black-ice events. The owners drive like on television advertisements, slide into the bottom of a bar-ditch, the tires dig in, and then momentum carries them, rolling over with their high center of gravity ( not shown on the TV ads. ), naughty bits staring skywards.
They're not going for mortality, just spinal cord injuries and wheelchairs for the rest of their days.
Old 10-06-2021, 06:53 PM   #36 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
Around here, rollovers are limited to jacked-up 4WD pickups and SUVs. Mostly during black-ice events.
Not so many parts of my country are prone to have black-ice, yet truck and SUV rollovers are not unheard of.

Quote:
The owners drive like on television advertisements, slide into the bottom of a bar-ditch, the tires dig in, and then momentum carries them, rolling over with their high center of gravity ( not shown on the TV ads. )
I often say people here drive a Hilux as if it was a VW Golf, and that's why so many Hiluxes actually roll over. My grandfather used to own a '06 Hilux, and I once drove it in a quite spirited way, which he wasn't so confident to try. Sure it was not the smartest thing to do, but I was aware a truck with a rear live-axle would not react the same way the FWD compacts I was more used to.
aerohead (10-08-2021)
Old 10-06-2021, 07:14 PM   #37 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,393 Times in 3,366 Posts
The first time I rode a dirt bike was in Peru on a 1000 mile trip, and during the trip I lowsided the bike and dislocated my arm. I rode for a day in a Hilux which was driven flat out by Armando, and that was terrifying. Hairpin blind corners in the mountains with no guardrails, tires howling at every turn. The chase trucks had to be driven flat out to keep up with the group of motorcycles. Still, 5 out of the group of 10 of us wrecked motorcycles in one way or another, and neither of the trucks had an accident (that I was aware of).

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
Old 10-07-2021, 07:02 PM   #38 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
Still, 5 out of the group of 10 of us wrecked motorcycles in one way or another, and neither of the trucks had an accident (that I was aware of).
Being familiar with the vehicle, and with the terrain conditions, might've been a reasonable explanation to why Armando drove that Hilux flat-out in the Andes.
Old 10-07-2021, 08:24 PM   #39 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,393 Times in 3,366 Posts
Quote:
Being familiar with the vehicle, and with the terrain conditions, might've been a reasonable explanation to why Armando drove that Hilux flat-out in the Andes.
I absolutely believe that, I've just rarely been a passenger to someone competently driving a vehicle to its limits. He even acknowledged some close calls. Reminded me of how we drove back when we were 17, using the pedals as on/off devices.

BTW, I wasn't complaining. I trust people to make their own risk assessment. The whole reason I was in that position in the first place is that I was trying to corner a dirt bike on the road like a street bike. Learned how not to do it that day. Maybe I'll link some crappy video and a few photos later.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!

Last edited by redpoint5; 10-08-2021 at 01:15 AM..
Old 10-08-2021, 12:38 AM   #40 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
Reminded me of how we drove back when we were 17, using the pedals as on/off devices.
Once when I was 17 I drove a VW Gol (not Golf) in a quite spirited way in a country road where I have never been before, with road debris hitting the undercarriage and making a lot of noise, for my grandmother's entertainment and my father's disapproval

Yet usually I already valued a more conservative driving, even when I was still a minor and didn't have a driving license.

Reply  Post New Thread