Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hybrids
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2021, 06:41 PM   #31 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,393 Times in 3,366 Posts
My retirement plan was to sail. I figure by then fuel will be $100/gallon, or possibly illegal. There will be awesome "autopilots" by then so I can sleep while the boat sails on. Musk has solved internet at sea. The future is going to be awesome.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to redpoint5 For This Useful Post:
Ecky (01-03-2022), hayden55 (01-03-2022)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 12-30-2021, 08:48 PM   #32 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,596 Times in 7,079 Posts
Magnus Effect, else the cost of re-rigging with hemp or wire rope, turnbuckles, toggles every ten years will sink you.

My retirement plan should have been Lieven Standaert's Aeromodeller2
Quote:
Search domain aeromodeller2.be
The Aeromodeller2 is a design for a zero-emission, autonomous, nomad hydrogen-based airship that will never land. The ship regenerates its fuel, creating hydrogen from wind power and the rain on its skin. When it depletes its energy reserves, the ship drops anchor and rests, in order to replenish its energy in a renewable way.

www.lowtechmagazine.com/.../gipsy-zeppelin-baseship

Old 12-30-2021, 09:17 PM   #33 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Dark Egg - '12 VW Touraeg
Thanked 1,178 Times in 807 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
My retirement plan was to sail. I figure by then fuel will be $100/gallon, or possibly illegal. There will be awesome "autopilots" by then so I can sleep while the boat sails on. Musk has solved internet at sea. The future is going to be awesome.
Funny you should say that. I've always had a passion for the sea but my late wife not so much. So I had made plans to build her her dream home in Montana when I retire in 5 years. Well now the boat is looking pretty good. I found out my Navy sea time satisfies all but 90 days of experience required to get a charter captain's liscense. So I plan on at least trying for awhile a liveabord old Grand Banks wooden trawler or maybe a motor sail boat in Puget Sound or Southern Alaska. Do some charters on the side to help cover costs. We will be going up to Juneau or Anchorage this June to check it out. I have been in the Bearing Sea before but never set foot on Alaska. Maybe summer up there then go back to Montana and a tiny home for winter. I got to check it out first. I love Puget Sound too but Washington state is going to the dogs, and I don't know if I could take being one of their government's surfs.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hersbird For This Useful Post:
redpoint5 (12-30-2021)
Old 12-30-2021, 09:38 PM   #34 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

'Serfs'.

I'm starting to like Low Tech magazine. Here's an article on sailing:

www.lowtechmagazine.com/2021/05/how-to-design-a-sailing-ship-for-the-21st-century.

Lots of pictures of sailors scrapping and caulking the decks.

Old 12-30-2021, 09:40 PM   #35 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 30.54 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
Scraping and caulking?

How do I make a Maverick Hybrid seaworthy?
Old 12-30-2021, 10:59 PM   #36 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,393 Times in 3,366 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hersbird View Post
Funny you should say that. I've always had a passion for the sea but my late wife not so much. So I had made plans to build her her dream home in Montana when I retire in 5 years. Well now the boat is looking pretty good. I found out my Navy sea time satisfies all but 90 days of experience required to get a charter captain's liscense. So I plan on at least trying for awhile a liveabord old Grand Banks wooden trawler or maybe a motor sail boat in Puget Sound or Southern Alaska. Do some charters on the side to help cover costs. We will be going up to Juneau or Anchorage this June to check it out. I have been in the Bearing Sea before but never set foot on Alaska. Maybe summer up there then go back to Montana and a tiny home for winter. I got to check it out first. I love Puget Sound too but Washington state is going to the dogs, and I don't know if I could take being one of their government's surfs.
Get that tiny home in Montana and consider that your permanent residence. WA doesn't have income tax, so just haul everything you need there so you don't pay sales tax. Oregon's close by to avoid sales tax too. Or, tiny home in Alaska and winter wherever you want on your boat.

I generally am against paying more than necessary to the government, and even more so governments that take your money and then refuse to enforce the law.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
Old 12-31-2021, 02:16 AM   #37 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

After a while Alaska shares the oil money ...or they did?

The Following User Says Thank You to freebeard For This Useful Post:
Ecky (01-03-2022)
Old 12-31-2021, 06:28 PM   #38 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
'Serfs'.

I'm starting to like Low Tech magazine. Here's an article on sailing:

www.lowtechmagazine.com/2021/05/how-to-design-a-sailing-ship-for-the-21st-century.

Lots of pictures of sailors scrapping and caulking the decks.
Ok, you got me on serfs, but after 11 years of being a sailor I'll say you ment "cocking the decks"
Old 12-31-2021, 06:36 PM   #39 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
Get that tiny home in Montana and consider that your permanent residence. WA doesn't have income tax, so just haul everything you need there so you don't pay sales tax. Oregon's close by to avoid sales tax too. Or, tiny home in Alaska and winter wherever you want on your boat.

I generally am against paying more than necessary to the government, and even more so governments that take your money and then refuse to enforce the law.
No avoiding a Washington state use tax equal to sales tax on any boat purchase. They even go after boats on the Columbia Oregon side as they say they must be crossing into their waters at some point. The best way to avoid it would be to buy it in a low sales tax state, some have like a $2000 cap on even a million dollar yacht purchase, and then you won't get dinged in Washington because you paid a tax once already even if it's lower then theirs. But buy one in Oregon or Montana and you pay full Washington use tax to ever set fin in their waters. You can get a one year permit for less than the tax, but then the boat has to leave Washington waters for 2 years after even if sold to someone else.

Then if you take charters they are going to state income tax any revenue there no matter where you claim permanent residence.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hersbird For This Useful Post:
Ecky (01-03-2022)
Old 12-31-2021, 07:06 PM   #40 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Ok, you got me on serfs, but after 11 years of being a sailor I'll say you ment "cocking the decks"
'Meant'? I was led astray by the linked article: "Renewing caulking on the poop of the 'Parma'. Alan Villiers, 1932-33."

I keep urging my son to use the redwood canoe his grandfather made. Is this why he's so reluctant?

Reply  Post New Thread