Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2013, 11:42 AM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Forget the hydrogen economy, go methanol!

"Scientists in Germany and Italy have discovered a way to derive hydrogen gas from methanol at low temperatures and pressures using soluble ruthenium based ‘pincer’ catalysts."

Supercharging methanol for fuel cells

This seems a much better idea as it's sticking with a liquid fuel. One that can initially be made from natural-gas prior to more renewable sources coming on-stream.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-11-2013, 12:29 PM   #2 (permalink)
...beats walking...

Thanked 1,525 Times in 1,126 Posts
...bet the "...soluble ruthenium based ‘pincer’ catalysts." ain't cheap?!?
Old 03-11-2013, 06:07 PM   #3 (permalink)
UFO
Master EcoModder

Colorado - '17 Chevrolet Colorado 4x4 LT
90 day: 23.07 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Tele man View Post
...bet the "...soluble ruthenium based ‘pincer’ catalysts." ain't cheap?!?
But by definition, a catalyst is not consumed in the reaction.

Liquid fuels beat all gaseous fuels hands down, but natural gas production is currently consuming fresh water at an unsustainable rate, and causing way more pollution than we know or can handle.

Methanol is good stuff, especially for biodiesel production, bet we need to make it from something else, like cellulose.
some_other_dave (03-11-2013)
Old 03-11-2013, 06:48 PM   #4 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO View Post
Liquid fuels beat all gaseous fuels hands down, but natural gas production is currently consuming fresh water at an unsustainable rate, and causing way more pollution than we know or can handle.
When you refer to natural gas, are you quoting fossil natural gas? One thing that I consider a shame is that many biomethane is wasted at landfills and sewage treatment stations while all that fossil natural gas is extracted
Old 03-11-2013, 11:33 PM   #5 (permalink)
Corporate imperialist

Sub - '84 Chevy Diesel Suburban C10
SUV
90 day: 19.5 mpg (US)

camaro - '85 Chevy Camaro Z28

Riot - '03 Kia Rio POS
Team Hyundai
90 day: 30.21 mpg (US)

Bug - '01 VW Beetle GLSturbo
90 day: 26.43 mpg (US)

Sub2500 - '86 GMC Suburban C2500
90 day: 11.95 mpg (US)

Snow flake - '11 Nissan Leaf SL
SUV
90 day: 141.63 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,528 Times in 2,802 Posts
My diesel is methanol ready.
Heck any diesel could use methanol to reduce diesel consumption for maybe $1000 right now.
Methanol is so much easier to make than ethanol.
Old 03-12-2013, 08:47 AM   #6 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:

Methanol is good stuff, especially for biodiesel production, bet we need to make it from something else, like cellulose.
Attempts to reinvent how we power personal transportation as the age of oil wains have time and again run into the brickwall of the fossil infrastructure that already exists. ~ for instance, even though pure BEV are perfectly useful today for over two-third of all journeys the average driver won't be even considering them as a second car.
- The thing I like the look of for this methanol tech is the infrastructure adjustments appear to be far easier, whilst issues like range anxiety and 'charging time' are sidestepped.

The methanol should not be produced from any fossil source ideally, that's a given. But realistically we need a way to give momentum to newer to technologies (momentum that hydrogen will never gain IMO [and for good reasons]), but personally I'd rather water that we can't be spared (in an ideal world) was used for turning a relatively low carbon fuel like NatGas into an efficient, workable road fuel than have fresh water [and NatGas!] consumed in, say, upgrading tar-sands; continuing business-as-usual!
Old 03-12-2013, 11:33 AM   #7 (permalink)
UFO
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Air-Hybrid View Post
Attempts to reinvent how we power personal transportation as the age of oil wains have time and again run into the brickwall of the fossil infrastructure that already exists. ~ for instance, even though pure BEV are perfectly useful today for over two-third of all journeys the average driver won't be even considering them as a second car.
- The thing I like the look of for this methanol tech is the infrastructure adjustments appear to be far easier, whilst issues like range anxiety and 'charging time' are sidestepped.

The methanol should not be produced from any fossil source ideally, that's a given. But realistically we need a way to give momentum to newer to technologies (momentum that hydrogen will never gain IMO [and for good reasons]), but personally I'd rather water that we can't be spared (in an ideal world) was used for turning a relatively low carbon fuel like NatGas into an efficient, workable road fuel than have fresh water [and NatGas!] consumed in, say, upgrading tar-sands; continuing business-as-usual!
I am not sure you are considering biodiesel.
Old 03-12-2013, 01:55 PM   #8 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
I am not sure you are considering biodiesel.
UFO, as your signature asserts, "no oil for blood"... but the same is true if a rich minority of the world's pop. is going to steal the 'bread basket' from the poorest, surely?

To be fair, the future of energy is going to need to be much more diverse than the 20th century was, but unless a diesel or petrol replacement can be made today by means that won't be in competition with someone's arable land (like a way that the whole of the Sahara can be pumping out oil from captured sunlight) I don't see how we aren't going to require some fossil-fuels to make the transition - and natural gas is better than the others!
Old 03-12-2013, 02:33 PM   #9 (permalink)
UFO
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Air-Hybrid View Post
UFO, as your signature asserts, "no oil for blood"... but the same is true if a rich minority of the world's pop. is going to steal the 'bread basket' from the poorest, surely?

To be fair, the future of energy is going to need to be much more diverse than the 20th century was, but unless a diesel or petrol replacement can be made today by means that won't be in competition with someone's arable land (like a way that the whole of the Sahara can be pumping out oil from captured sunlight) I don't see how we aren't going to require some fossil-fuels to make the transition - and natural gas is better than the others!
Biodiesel can be produced from algae and wastewater. Not bread. Natural gas is not better, it's a fossil fuel and it is consuming our fresh water to produce (far more scarce and valuable).
Old 03-12-2013, 02:46 PM   #10 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Biodiesel can be produced from algae and wastewater. Not bread. Natural gas is not better, it's a fossil fuel and it is consuming our fresh water to produce (far more scarce and valuable).
What are the global projected quantities that could be realised for producing Biodiesel "from algae and wastewater"? ... a tenth of current diesel use; a hundredth? - It's not so simple when looked at in these terms.
That's the 'well' part of the equation; what about the 'wheel'? - nice clean methanol (of what ever source) sloshing around in a fuel tank has the potential (via the tech above) to turn (I'd estimate) three-quarters of it's chemical energy into driving (via a fuel-cell/e-motor) the wheels -full cycle- ... biodiesel is only suited for an ICE and will be lucky to return one quarter chemical efficiency full-cycle; plus it does nothing to encourage wider changes in infrastructure, etc.

Reply  Post New Thread