Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2012, 12:45 PM   #31 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Oh Deer - '03 Ford Ranger XL
90 day: 33.97 mpg (US)
Thanks for all the info. This is my daily driver so it sees about 15K-20K miles a year depending on how far away work is.

BackroadBomber...were you still seeing a consistant MPG bump?

beater911...the grey ones sound interesting also. I like the fact that they are four hole (has to be better than my single hole) and that they match the 14# flow rate of our trucks. The biggest reason I asked about the California ones was I thought better atomization and better emmisions would be a great win-win. I'll take better atomization if I can get it though.

ERTW...I believe everything you said but I don't have a clue what it means LOL. I am not very technologically saavy, so you may have to dumb it down for me a bit . As for the ecu programming...way above my head... my very simplistic plan was to find an injector that gave me a better spray pattern/atomization and change out my O2 sensors at the same time and let the ecu "figure it out". Both O2 sensors may be stock and even if the previous owner had replaced them right before I bought the truck, they have 105K miles on them just from me driving it. I know it seems rather "hillbilly" but it's about the limits of my technological abilities.

I'm going to look into the grey ones from the Contour, they seem like a good option for now. Unless anyone else has a different suggestion. I'll do much research before jumping in with both feet.

Thanks again for the info.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-11-2012, 03:44 PM   #32 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Jenny - '02 Chevrolet Prizm Lsi
90 day: 25.21 mpg (US)

Crowley - '23 Ford Maverick XLT
90 day: 27.73 mpg (US)
I was seeing the same mpg up untill my dpfe sensor stopped working.

What I don't understand is why do they have to be around the same poundage as the stock ones? Doesn't the trucks computer change the short and long term fuel trim to compensate?
Old 07-11-2012, 04:55 PM   #33 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

B2300 - '96 Mazda B2300 SE

Focus - '05 Ford Focus ST

The red car - '00 Honda Insight
No mpg gain? Hmmm. Maybe this myth is busted?

Anyone else want to test? More than one data point is always important.

As far as atomization is concerned, I understand that GDI is better partially because of the very high injection pressures and fine atomization. MPG isn't the benefit though, it's more power.

Also on some high performance motorcycles they use 12 hole injectors for ultrafine atomization. MPG is not a concern, HP is. These are 12,000+ rpm engines where a fast burn is essential.

Maybe the gain is due to a faster burn requiring less ignition advance resulting in less combustion pressure rise before top dead center, hence more power. Intuitively it still seems like it would also help MPG, but maybe it's a negligible gain compared to HP.

BackroadBomber, did you notice a power gain with the 4 holers?
Old 07-11-2012, 07:37 PM   #34 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Jenny - '02 Chevrolet Prizm Lsi
90 day: 25.21 mpg (US)

Crowley - '23 Ford Maverick XLT
90 day: 27.73 mpg (US)
Sorry I worded that wrong... He asked if i was seeing a steady mpg bump, what I meant to say was yes, my mpg stayed steady after the swap up untill my sensor went. But just to straitened things out I DID see a boost of about 2mpg when I put the new injectors in. BUT, as I've stated in an earlier post my results should not be taken as complete fact. There are way too many variables. For instance, my truck had 150,000 miles on it when I swapped them out. I have no clue if one of the old injectors were bad, or if an O-ring on them leaked, etc. all I know for sure is, that in my case the new ones helped my average. But I do agree we definitely need more experiments on the subject. Seeing as how injectors are usually "pocket items" at junkyards, even a slight increase could be well worth it

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatr911 View Post
No mpg gain? Hmmm. Maybe this myth is busted?

Anyone else want to test? More than one data point is always important.

As far as atomization is concerned, I understand that GDI is better partially because of the very high injection pressures and fine atomization. MPG isn't the benefit though, it's more power.
Yes it's more power, but many times mods that make more power also mean better mileage... Think e-fans, under drive pulleys, and turbochargers

Last edited by BackroadBomber; 07-11-2012 at 07:43 PM..
Old 07-13-2012, 01:33 PM   #35 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Oh Deer - '03 Ford Ranger XL
90 day: 33.97 mpg (US)
Thanks again everyone.

BackroadBomber...I have wondered the same thing about the poundage. I would think that the O2 sensor/ecu combo would compensate for the difference. But I really don't know, I'm not very tech. saavy. I'm sort of in the same boat as you when it comes to the condition of my injectors. 200K miles, probably stock, and could be in bad shape. Like you said though, for the price any increase would be worth it no matter what the reason.

beater911...I have to wonder if more HP is a MPG increase in the sense that you could use the extra HP for more speed or use it, at the same speed, to let the engine work easier. Sort of like in the real world...more horses to pull the hay wagon the less each horse has to work, making the team of horses (engine) more efficient.

It seems that I need to research the grey injectors out of the Contour and the orange(ish) ones from the Crown Vic now and see what the differences are and which way I want to go. If you guys (or any one else for that matter) has any more input I'm all ears.

Reply  Post New Thread