Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2012, 12:36 PM   #1 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

White Whale - '07 Dodge Ram 2500 ST Quad Cab 2wd, short bed
Team Cummins
90 day: 37.68 mpg (US)
Most Influential Ecomodders

I thought maybe it would be fun to start a thread where we can recognize fellow Ecomodders, who have inspired each of us. So go ahead--list recognize the folks you you've learned the most from, those who's opinions you value the most, etc.

Just list the names and the reason.

Here's my list (in no particular order). Sorry if I've forgotten anyone.

slowmover - good understanding of CTD's and trucks in general, always keeping total enconomy (not just fuel economy) in mind.
aerohead - the "ultimate" authority around here on all things aero. His posts always seem very well thought out.
skyking - I'm still drooling over the bellypan and aero "cap" on his truck.
JacobAziza - He's done some pretty amazing things with a 30 year old diesel truck
PaleMelanesian - I think this guy's second to none in the hypermiling department.

My version of energy storage is called "momentum".
My version of regenerative braking is called "bump starting".

1 Year Avg (Every Mile Traveled) = 47.8 mpg

BEST TANK: 2,009.6 mi on 35 gal (57.42 mpg): http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...5-a-26259.html

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-11-2012, 12:44 PM   #2 (permalink)
A madman

Pequod - '17 Subaru Outback
90 day: 22.79 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to brucey
MetroMPG :P

The whole site here is his, but all the testing and scientific method and pie graphs and charts always makes it a bit more interesting.

Oh god, I just said pie graphs and charts were interesting.
The Following User Says Thank You to brucey For This Useful Post:
Cd (07-11-2012)
Old 07-11-2012, 01:59 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

AlienMobile - '00 Honda Insight
Team Honda
90 day: 80.05 mpg (US)
I second the vote for AeroHead - the Streamlining Template is by far my favorite of his.

AeroCivic also gets a vote from me - All the individual things he did to his car are very impressive.

MetroMPG - for the very creative "webcam" idea for capturing tuft test data, and for the first generation of his tail and fuel mileage improvements.

EuroModder - for keeping me on my toes during tail construction.

TheyCallMeBrian - for showing how many MPG's can be gotten from a motorcycle.

Sorry if I missed you.

Jim.
Old 07-11-2012, 02:28 PM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

2004 CTD - '04 DODGE RAM 2500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 19.36 mpg (US)
Nice idea, DD. Punching the "Thanks" button is one level, but a gushing PM seems too much other times. I look forward to using this thread to exploring other lines of interest as folks offer up directions to their inspirations.

I tend to think of threads/ideas I follow as they mirror my own interests more than contributors. But one cannot do so in actuality. The folks below also tend to post quite a bit, and, with threads of their own also shape interest in the forum as a whole. By extension, if/when the Internet goes down here's the reason I'd miss you guys (all who participate herein!)

So, to the idiosyncratic: IC vehicles -- for me -- have a whole other dimension in how much one could earn with them and as being central to a nomadic life in the strange new world we inhabit which is a set of a subset of interest around here. Fulltiming is not just for retired RV'ers as "owning" one house after another across the US in the search for opportunity is a time that has passed. Blessed are those who have found that place for the future.

I'll add to the above list with those currently contributing (no order offered or implied):

aerohead

- when one ought to start from scratch The Aerodynamic Template is the source beginning, the door to reading (Hucho, et.al). Dad's daddy. This place is to me unimaginable without him. A man with library references is gold.

KamperBob

- Clarification from experience . . . and those long, slow thoughts which shed the extraneous in the smart use of machinery in moving around the country. On a sabbatical which will yield benefits to the rest of us (Recreation Engineer a well-chosen moniker) as knowing how to think about something is a trump.

skyking

- I'm hopeful the aero RV of tow vehicle & trailer can see light of day. Proof-of-concept is how it feels from this distance; it's one big undertaking. And by a man with more than just admirable fabrication skills. The truck belly pan is bookmarked for the day I can find the time, place and patience to try it. I'd not ever hesitate to ask his advice, either.

Bondo

- I'd have never guessed that such a simple device (the Aerolid; and only in appearance) could make such a significant difference in fuel burn. Longevity, too, if one believes that reduction of horsepower demand equates to an increase in vehicle longevity. I hope it is perceived as a compliment that the name has already achieved the same place as xerox, kleenex, etc in description (if only around here . . for now). My hopes for production in the nearest future.

BamZipPow

Coroplast was a material to which I'd never given a second thought . . until now. Glad someone can take the long hours of driving to improve the breed by thinking/experimenting. (And my hope that the income derived is commensurate in some manner with the distances and times). This is the (lower cased) middle way: continual improvement with such small budgetary constraints in experimentation as to be meaningless. Ha, signboard . . . .

DieselDave

- have made my encomium in another thread. Stretched me to make yet another level of discipline in mpg . . successfully. Achieved FE numbers on his CTD that should have been hidden behind a paywall.

orbywan

- a bar none favorite for the quality of the work and the unexpectedly high level of success on a vehicle few to none would consider worth the trouble. But, for a family traveling some real distances, his Class C motorhome would make one fine vehicle central to moves across and around the country. And such a vehicle is big enough to easily carry bicycles or mopeds for local transportation. That big box can provide the services of water handling, propane for cooking/heating, electrical via solar and generator for a group for a month or more (water capacity is the only real limitation). A "hidden" gem in that manner.

BigDave

- IMO, broke some ground in establishing an FE subforum on a pickup board in re fuel economy based on experience, a ground-upwards view, and simple enough rules (aero & gearing) to help others otherwise unwilling to buy a gazillion dollars of aftermarket magic boxes, etc. Real results from the diesel pickup unicorn wrangler.

Frank Lee

- just when you think you've pegged him, he surprises again. How much less fun this forum might be without him . . the gadfly "persona" was an inspired choice. Can scrounge, adapt, read . . all with consistent discipline and depth (can shed preconceptions). Can also spot a suckers bet from a mile away.

Old Mechanic

- able to place most any technical aspect or usage of vehicles (in part or whole) in a historical context. What they are (cars) is one thing, but how they are used is much more insightful in re potential changes to their design/construction. Great insights, period. Glad he "enjoys" the give and take . . seems many of his ilk wander away from boards once the less insightful show up and clutter up the conversations. Many boards simply wither and zombifie after "original" contributors move on to other venues.

There are others whom I do not read enough (JethroBodine, Piwoslaw, euromodder, etc, who obviously have quite a good handle on the meet of theory and practice). And yet others who range widely where fuel economy is part of a much larger societal (and planetary) puzzle (such as NeilBlanchard).

Don't shoot me for missing obvious important contributors, I know I haven't come close to what the board represents . . only in starting from my peculiar interests do I circle around again and again to the above, by direction and sometimes by chance.

I look forward to what others post herein. One can wander the woods in a circle (our strides pull us left or right making this a constant), or one can use the maps on offer.

May this thread be a map.

Last edited by slowmover; 07-11-2012 at 02:44 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to slowmover For This Useful Post:
divedaddy03 (07-13-2012)
Old 07-11-2012, 03:43 PM   #5 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 52.48 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,959 Times in 3,603 Posts
Phil Knox (aerohead) gets a very grateful nod from me too.

His Toyota truck project opened my eyes to aeromodding via the EV World article "Free Fuel Riding on the Wind", which was published in 2005 right around the time I got my first "serious" MPG car (Firefly / Metro). I had long been interested in eco-driving my previous cars, but that article was an eye-opener on how far you could go with DIY mods to improve efficiency. A big influence!

Looking at that EV World article today, it shows "0" (zero) comments. That must be a result of changes to their web site, because 7 years ago, that article spawned an enormous discussion in the comments section. It was the most commented on article on EV World at the time, and led directly to the creation of the first dedicated fuel economy forum I knew of: Yahoo's "MaxMPG" group, where I was a regular.

I was very happy the day Phil decided to register on EcoModder. He's opened a lot of eyes & inspired a lot of people.
Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
Old 07-11-2012, 08:06 PM   #6 (permalink)
Wiki Mod

Max - '14 Ford C-Max SEL
Metro MPG, Mods, Testing methods and practical how to get mods done.

basjoos: his car is inspired me to see what I can do.

3-Wheeler His project kick started me into trying to make a tail.

Frank, always lightens up the mood and pisses off the people in the unicorn coral

There are others but I cannot pull your names up right now, will add as I remember.
Old 07-11-2012, 09:50 PM   #7 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Being rather reader than poster, interested mainly in EVs I vote for MPaulHolmes, bennelson, jackbauer - their stories convinced me to start my project...
Old 07-11-2012, 10:00 PM   #8 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
Heck I don't know, most everybody contributes in one way or another (some are aero experts, some are EV experts, some are EFI experts, some remind us of how to do a proper test, etc.) that's why it's such a great community. Even the ones that shovel the unicorn poop in are influential- makes us think about the topic so we can formulate our attacks.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frank Lee For This Useful Post:
Diesel_Dave (07-12-2012), t vago (07-12-2012)
Old 07-12-2012, 02:34 AM   #9 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The SCUD - '15 Fiat Scudo L2
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3-Wheeler View Post
EuroModder - for keeping me on my toes during tail construction.
LOL

But I'll politely decline any claims to me being an influential ecomodder.
Let's face it - I've got nothing to show for it on the hardware front.

What little mods I've done were decidedly common - throwing out stuff, throwing on other stuff that Volvo developed for their more economical versions of my car, and a taped grill block.

My list - in no particular order - includes

- you Jim , aka 3-wheeler, for the best looking bellypan and boattail (if you paint it)
- basjoos, for the Aerocivic ;
- Aerohead, for a wealth of insight in how the wind blows ;
- Allert Jacobs, for modding bikes and building velomobiles ;
- Craig Vetter, despite the rule changes
- MetroMPG, for giving a more sensible meaning to ABA than the Swedes, and for keeping this site up ;
- PaleMelanesian, for expert hypermiling technique without many mods ;
- BamZipPow, for modding trucks ;
- Diesel Dave, for hypermiling big trucks though not entirely without mods
- Ben Nelson, for showing electric bikes are as dangerous as petrol bikes
- Vekke, for starting a business in ecomodding stuff

And

- Anyone else who has more balls than me and has done some serious hardcore modding on his car !
- Anyone I may have forgotten ;

Old 07-12-2012, 10:24 AM   #10 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Red Baron - '00 Ford F-350 XLT
90 day: 27.99 mpg (US)

Impala Phase Zero - '96 Chevrolet Impala SS
90 day: 21.03 mpg (US)
Most everybody brings something special to the party.

While he's a relative newcomer let's not forget shepherd777.

If you step back and look at it from a macro or national standpoint, OTR truck fuel economy dwarfs that of personal cars & pickups.

A OTR truck typically drive eight to ten times the annual mileage of a personal car.

OTR trucks routinely operate with a road load in excess of 300 HP. A personal car operates in the 15-35 HP range. Your hot-rod's 400 HP engine operates in excess of 90% rated power maybe two minutes a year. Trucks don't have 450+ HP engines by accident. They use that power. those big, durable engines can pump out big HP hour after hour. On OTR trucks, axle and transmission cooling get to be an issue from all that power.

shepherd777 has more than doubled the MPG of a Class 8 truck. From a macro standpoint that is huge.

Rubber Conveyor Belt Air Dam
Reply  Post New Thread