Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-21-2011, 12:31 AM   #11 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Black Knight - '94 Toyota Corolla
Team Toyota
90 day: 58.53 mpg (US)
ok how does one look up what type injectors they have? and where would one order other injectors?

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-21-2011, 03:32 PM   #12 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I just do a google search for injectors and the vehicle. I found the injectors for your 1.6 corolla here: http://www.witchhunter.com/flowdatapix/d2325016150.jpg
I know that your 1.6L Corolla injectors have a denso connector with a two-hole split type spray pattern and can probably benefit from a newer 4-hole type. Some ebay auctions have pictures of the injector tips. Injector wherehouse or ebay is where I've purchased injectors in the past. Hope this helps.
Old 05-23-2011, 08:58 PM   #13 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Blue Meanie - '02 Volkswagon Golf TDI
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 48.52 mpg (US)

Wife's car - '05 WV Passat TDI

Rudy - '94 Chevy C2500
To take full advantage of different injectors you should have the injector profile changed in the PCM. The reason for this is that injector lag time, fuel flow, and initial injections may all be different causing other settings to be off and having the injector spray event happening a little early or late.

"It's not rocket surgery!" -MetroMPG
Old 05-24-2011, 12:58 PM   #14 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
To take full advantage of different injectors you should have the injector profile changed in the PCM. The reason for this is that injector lag time, fuel flow, and initial injections may all be different causing other settings to be off and having the injector spray event happening a little early or late.
Any difference in an injector's opening and closing time is far far smaller than an an ECU's ability to adjust fuel trim based on O2 sensor feedback. For example going from an EV1 to an EV6 injector the opening time is 0.3 milliseconds shorter. Good luck finding an ECU that can't handle that change. The whole "spray event happening a little early or late" is just not true.
The only thing you really have to worry about is having a similar flow rate and matching the injector's resistance. all 12ohm+ injectors are interchangeable. I've swapped 3 cars so far from EV1 to EV6 injectors and converted 2 cars from mechanical injection to EFI using EV6 injectors. All improved fuel economy and passed emissions.

Last edited by tjts1; 05-24-2011 at 01:06 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to tjts1 For This Useful Post:
slowmover (11-14-2011)
Old 05-24-2011, 02:37 PM   #15 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I've got connectors to connect to different styles of injectors if anyone is interested.
Old 05-24-2011, 05:39 PM   #16 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjts1 View Post
Any difference in an injector's opening and closing time is far far smaller than an an ECU's ability to adjust fuel trim based on O2 sensor feedback. For example going from an EV1 to an EV6 injector the opening time is 0.3 milliseconds shorter. Good luck finding an ECU that can't handle that change. The whole "spray event happening a little early or late" is just not true.
The only thing you really have to worry about is having a similar flow rate and matching the injector's resistance. all 12ohm+ injectors are interchangeable. I've swapped 3 cars so far from EV1 to EV6 injectors and converted 2 cars from mechanical injection to EFI using EV6 injectors. All improved fuel economy and passed emissions.
I have to agree. My buddies injector flow bench can dial in to the exact flow numbers just like an ECU can. Like tjts1 stated "The only thing you really have to worry about is having a similar flow rate and matching the injector's resistance". I've also swapped newer injectors into older model cars and have seen improved performance. Just to be safe I wouldn't choose an injector that has a 20% higher or lower flow rating than your stock injectors.
Old 11-01-2011, 06:14 PM   #17 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

B2300 - '96 Mazda B2300 SE

Focus - '05 Ford Focus ST

The red car - '00 Honda Insight
I'm looking at doing this on my old Ranger 2.3 with EV1 style. Anyone have a number for the FE gains? What can I expect to see?
Old 11-01-2011, 07:58 PM   #18 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatr911 View Post
I'm looking at doing this on my old Ranger 2.3 with EV1 style. Anyone have a number for the FE gains? What can I expect to see?
What year is your ranger? You may already have the 4 hole spray injectors.
Old 11-01-2011, 10:02 PM   #19 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Bertha - '16 Mercedes Benz Metris
I did this to an old Volvo 240. I ganed a bit on mpg, but I have to believe the most gain was from newer -more balanced- injectors. Had I had a good O2, i'd prolly seen more. In the long run, gas savings would beat the junkyard price.
Old 11-03-2011, 01:48 PM   #20 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

B2300 - '96 Mazda B2300 SE

Focus - '05 Ford Focus ST

The red car - '00 Honda Insight
The "Ranger" is the Mazda B2300 in my sig (same vehicle, just re-badged and sold by Mazda). It's a 1996 and has the pintle style EV1 injectors. I'm considering the EV14 12 hole injectors from a ~2005 California Ford Focus, the red injectors.

The Focus injectors are a little bigger in flow rate but the ECU should account for that, they run at the same pressure, ohms, etc. The electrical connectors are different but adapters are available. The Focus EV14's are shorter but extenders are available.

4 holers are easy to come by but since I was going to do this I figured I'd go all the way and use the 12 holers. Searching the net has found me only anecdotal evidence that the 12 holers are better. Guess maybe I'll be the guinea pig on this one.

Junkyard prices are about $6 per injector. Since they are cheap, I'd like to find 6 of 'em in case one or two are uneven or damaged.