Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Off-Topic Tech
Register Now
 Register Now

View Poll Results: Have gas pumps lost the slow fill setting?
I remember there being three spots on the catch lever, now only two. 7 41.18%
Gas pumps have gotten faster so people don't have to wait. 3 17.65%
Gas pumps have gotten faster and lost the slowest fill setting. 2 11.76%
I have no idea what TomO is talking about, lol. 5 29.41%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2011, 11:51 AM   #1 (permalink)
That VX guy!

The VX - '92 Honda Civic VX
Send a message via AIM to TomO Send a message via Yahoo to TomO
Gas pump question

Is it me or have the catch (little latch) on gas pumps dropped from three to two clicks?

I used to remember being able to set the catch on the lowest setting and it taking enough time to fill the tank for me to be able to wash the windshields (front and back) and side windows, put the squeegee back, and then the tank would be filled and done.

Now it seems that I barely have time to squeegee the front windshield and the tank is filled. Have gas pumps sped up to help decrease fill time for giant sized newer gas tanks or have they simply removed the slowest setting on the catch lever?

I started thinking about all this when I recently filled my VX and there were only two settings on the catch on the pump. It seemed like fast, and super fast were my choices for the speed of the pump. Now before you go ribbing me about just holding the pump where it would normally be for the old, slow speed, know this: When I fill up with gas (which is about every two weeks) I take that chance to wash the windows and mirror, as well as tail lights (when needed).

Last edited by TomO; 03-23-2011 at 11:57 AM..

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-23-2011, 02:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
...beats walking...

Thanked 1,525 Times in 1,126 Posts
...yes, there *used* to be three "detents" on the gas pump handle, now there are only two.

...and the current *lowest* setting is much faster than I remember.

...I have gone to "hand-holding" the pump at the slowest setting (beware finger cramps!).

The Following User Says Thank You to gone-ot For This Useful Post:
TomO (03-23-2011)
Old 03-23-2011, 02:28 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Canyon - '07 GMC Canyon 2wd regular cab
90 day: 24.95 mpg (US)
If I understand correctly, the benefit to slower fill-ups is that less gas is lost as a vapor, right?

Old 03-23-2011, 02:59 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Blue Meanie - '02 Volkswagon Golf TDI
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 48.52 mpg (US)

Wife's car - '05 WV Passat TDI

Rudy - '94 Chevy C2500
Yes that is the benefit of slower pumps and the extra time to clean the car.

"It's not rocket surgery!" -MetroMPG

Old 03-23-2011, 04:18 PM   #5 (permalink)
...beats walking...

Thanked 1,525 Times in 1,126 Posts
...also, FAR less/fewer "bubbles" in the pumped gas gurgling in the tank and backing back "up" the fill tube!

Old 03-23-2011, 09:13 PM   #6 (permalink)
That VX guy!

Thanks fellas, I thought I was going a little loony for a bit.

I know that some of the new pumps are so fast and touchy with their auto shut-off that I have to resort to the hand-held method since the fill tube of my VX seems to be pretty narrow and triggers the shut-off relentlessly.

Hmm, I wonder if I could make a device to hold the pump at a slow speed to gain back some cleaning time and get even more accurate fills?

Old 03-23-2011, 11:21 PM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomO View Post
Thanks fellas, I thought I was going a little loony for a bit.

I know that some of the new pumps are so fast and touchy with their auto shut-off that I have to resort to the hand-held method since the fill tube of my VX seems to be pretty narrow and triggers the shut-off relentlessly.

Hmm, I wonder if I could make a device to hold the pump at a slow speed to gain back some cleaning time and get even more accurate fills?
Sure you could. Instead of using the latch on the nozzle, try using your car key (or any other object of the desired height) to hold the nozzle partially open, but not wide open.

I'm surprised your state still allows having the latches on self-serve pumps. In most states they have mandated removal of them, except on full-serve pumps. Most of us simply jam the gas cap in the nozzle handle to keep the pump running rather than hold it for the whole time of refueling. It's technically illegal to do it - but that's another unenforceable law, conjured up by our busybody legislators.

The Following User Says Thank You to Thymeclock For This Useful Post:
TomO (03-24-2011)
Old 03-24-2011, 09:56 AM   #8 (permalink)
aero guerrilla

Svietlana II - '13 Peugeot 308SW e-HDI 6sp
90 day: 58.1 mpg (US)
Gas stations don't want you to take your time, because that may cause others to wait. And people are in a hurry and don't want to wait, so they'll go elsewhere next time. And if they go elsewhere, they take their huge 20-gallon tank with them.

What matters is where you're going, not how fast.

"... we humans tend to screw up everything that's good enough as it is...or everything that we're attracted to, we love to go and defile it." - Chris Cornell

[Old] Piwoslaw's Peugeot 307sw modding thread

Old 03-24-2011, 11:15 AM   #9 (permalink)
That VX guy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thymeclock View Post
Sure you could. Instead of using the latch on the nozzle, try using your car key (or any other object of the desired height) to hold the nozzle partially open, but not wide open.

I'm surprised your state still allows having the latches on self-serve pumps. In most states they have mandated removal of them, except on full-serve pumps. Most of us simply jam the gas cap in the nozzle handle to keep the pump running rather than hold it for the whole time of refueling. It's technically illegal to do it - but that's another unenforceable law, conjured up by our busybody legislators.
I'll try my gas cap next time, great idea and thanks!

MN laws are goofy, just like everywhere else, but we don't have full service gas stations anymore. There is one full service station in an old town nearby but it's just because the owner of the place feels the need to do it. His gas pumps are the super old kind with an actual dial/roll for the numbers....man I miss those style pumps.

Old 03-26-2011, 06:21 PM   #10 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I also remember when gas pumps only had 2 digits for the price per gallon. I remember when gas topped $1. a gallon some stations had the price on the pump per 1/2 gallon instead of per gallon. If memory serves me right many of the old pumps topped out at $9.99 and if you exceeded this amount it just started at all 0's again. Can you imagine trying to remember how many times the pump had maxed out at todays prices so you know how much you owe the station? As a child I remember trying to guess how much it would cost to fill my dad's car up and the guesses were usually under $5. unless the tank was completely empty. Most of the time the guesses were in the $3.-$4. range.

Closed Thread  Post New Thread