Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2008, 12:20 AM   #11 (permalink)
MechE

The Miata - '01 Mazda MX-5 Miata
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostCause View Post
If the car averages 17mpg in daily driving, I think you could push it to 21mpg relatively easily if it's all highway mileage.

My number one suggestion is to slooow down. I realize interstates usually run at 70-80mph, but it is your legal right to drive 55mph. There should be no reason to feel unsafe as you are driving a fuel size pickup...big rigs will overtake. Your trip will take much longer, but you have several people driving so who cares?
That's the other gotcha.... We've got to average at least 60mph to make it in time.... Our final exams are this week, so we're leaving Thursday morning (early) to get there in time (which gives us a few hours of "trouble" time)... We can probably go a little slower if we drive a little longer... but I really want to sleep in a bed for a decent number of hours On the way home, we sure as hell will take it slow

Quote:

You probably have leftover material, so start building some hasty aeromods. A grill block, rear wheel skirts, and an aeroshell made of composite supports and a scrounged plastic drop sheet would do nicely. Using a low-tack tape to stick everything together should prevent the paint from being damaged.
Duuude! That's an awesome idea... We've got something like 5 or 6 sheets of foam (4'x8') left plus some scrap wood! A few hours, we can have an foam aeroshell clamped to the bed and held together with 1x4's, 2x4's and tape! I'll have to ask the owner how he feels about it first, of course....

Quote:
I like the jerry can idea, but it'll only work if you can get the cans free.
Ditto - I won't be buying any of these I'll ask everyone I know for whatever they've got.

Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-20-2008, 12:35 AM   #12 (permalink)
nut

Metro XFi - '93 Geo Metro XFi Convertible
90 day: 62.17 mpg (US)

DR650SE - '07 Suzuki DR650SE
90 day: 55.26 mpg (US)
Send a message via MSN to Coyote X
If you guys were heading near me I would let you crash for the night I have plenty of room

But WV is pretty far out of your way and would end up costing more in gas than the hotel room

I say on the way back either do some stealth camping or just sleep in rest areas. And an air mattress in the bed with some wood stakes in the bed pockets with a tarp covering it all makes a nice sleeping area.

Maybe rent a minivan?

Old 04-20-2008, 12:38 AM   #13 (permalink)
Future EV Owner

Wannabe - '05 Honda Civic LX
90 day: 40.53 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by trebuchet03 View Post
Are the roads, at least, nice? I hear the cycling system in WI is pretty nice

Driving out to cali, I noticed the states with cheaper gas had some TERRIBLE roads. Good enough enough to not cause instant driving problems - but bad enough to make the ride excessively fatiguing (I'm looking at you interstate system of Louisiana)

They're nice after the spring repairs, which won't start for a while.
Old 04-20-2008, 12:51 AM   #14 (permalink)
MechE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyote X View Post
I
Maybe rent a minivan?
Checked that option too

We're under 25 - extra insurance per driver kills the deal Plus, there's a complication with my license to top everything off (I know, this keeps getting more and more terrible). My birthday passed and I never realized my license expired! I renewed it the other day, but the new one wont arrive in time... I can't even rent a car if I wanted to (that probably wouldn't stop me - but it's just more risk ).

I'm gonna ask around to see if anyone I know has a car with a hitch and are willing to swap cars for a few days.... I'm thinking that's unlikely though....

Quote:
If you guys were heading near me I would let you crash for the night I have plenty of room

But WV is pretty far out of your way and would end up costing more in gas than the hotel room
Thanks for the offer though
Old 04-20-2008, 01:11 AM   #15 (permalink)
Depends on the Day

Teggy - '98 Acura Integra LS
Sports Cars
90 day: 32.74 mpg (US)

IMA - '10 Honda Insight EX
Team Honda
90 day: 34.76 mpg (US)

Tessie - '06 Acura TSX Base
90 day: 28.2 mpg (US)
I rent vehicles all the time -- a few times, large vehicles with a heavy payload...

I'm thinking that the truck isn't going to give you the 21 mpg predicted. That's really stretching it.

Second -- STAMINA.

This is a long trip with several temptations to say "to hell with it, let's just max cruise and get there". Been there. It's tough. You and the other drivers may just go the limit or governed limit after a while. On my 15-hour move a few months ago, this exact situation happened. I got weak and just set the "cruise" to full-throttle governor (75 MPH). The trip should have taken 11-hours, but traffic jams offered otherwise.

Sounds like you need a driver When's the event?

The rental truck agencies are 18 y/o and older (Penske is my preference -- a bit more than U-haul, but worth the piece of mind). I've rented at least 3 times with moves with Pen. I had a Diesel Freightliner that averaged 18 hwy with a hydraulic lift instead of the ramp -- very convenient. No trailer, and enclosed box. See if you can insist on Diesel if you rent. The price of the fuel is outweighed by the FE.

I'm late to the party here, so dunno if this helps

RH77

_
_
Old 04-20-2008, 01:17 AM   #16 (permalink)
MP$

Send a message via MSN to diesel_john
will your stuff fit in a mini van they get 28 mpg.

how are you going
75 to 74 to 39 to 51

Last edited by diesel_john; 04-21-2008 at 11:55 PM..
Old 04-20-2008, 01:41 AM   #17 (permalink)
MechE

Quote:
Originally Posted by RH77 View Post
I rent vehicles all the time -- a few times, large vehicles with a heavy payload...

I'm thinking that the truck isn't going to give you the 21 mpg predicted. That's really stretching it.

Second -- STAMINA.

This is a long trip with several temptations to say "to hell with it, let's just max cruise and get there". Been there. It's tough. You and the other drivers may just go the limit or governed limit after a while. On my 15-hour move a few months ago, this exact situation happened. I got weak and just set the "cruise" to full-throttle governor (75 MPH). The trip should have taken 11-hours, but traffic jams offered otherwise.

Sounds like you need a driver When's the event?
Yeah, 21mpg is probably pushing it... 22mpg is where the comfort zone is - pretty much nothing out of pocket

I'll be one of the drivers The event is next weekend and we start driving there this Thursday

Yeah, stamina is pretty important... I figure if I get some good music, maybe a book on CD (or two or three ) etc. I'll keep myself entertained. Driving fast is a function of interest and stress, for me. If I'm bored, I tend to drive faster to use up some extra concentration power that'd otherwise be idling away.... Having nice/new terrain to look at also helps

Quote:
Originally Posted by RH77 View Post
The rental truck agencies are 18 y/o and older (Penske is my preference -- a bit more than U-haul, but worth the piece of mind). I've rented at least 3 times with moves with Pen. I had a Diesel Freightliner that averaged 18 hwy with a hydraulic lift instead of the ramp -- very convenient. No trailer, and enclosed box. See if you can insist on Diesel if you rent. The price of the fuel is outweighed by the FE.

I'm late to the party here, so dunno if this helps

RH77
If it's only 18mpg for a rental truck... it's not economical... The rental would be $480 per way - probably + tax (and some sort of environmental fee).

Renting really isn't the way to go it seems, given the mileage and cost of gas (and availability of cars)... The cost of the rental for 6 days is just too high....

no worries about being "late" This part isn't over yet, I hope

Quote:
will your stuff fit in a mini van they get 28 mpg.
I wish I knew someone that owned a minivan... It probably would fit - the dimensions are 44"H x 35"W x 98"L With the back seat removed - it should totally fit.... It's just finding one - renting is just way too expensive compared to the truck option at the moment...
Old 04-20-2008, 02:38 AM   #18 (permalink)
Depends on the Day

Teggy - '98 Acura Integra LS
Sports Cars
90 day: 32.74 mpg (US)

IMA - '10 Honda Insight EX
Team Honda
90 day: 34.76 mpg (US)

Tessie - '06 Acura TSX Base
90 day: 28.2 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by trebuchet03 View Post
I wish I knew someone that owned a minivan... It probably would fit - the dimensions are 44"H x 35"W x 98"L With the back seat removed - it should totally fit.... It's just finding one - renting is just way too expensive compared to the truck option at the moment...
When I first started working my current job, I was under 25 -- so the solution was Enterprise and a corporate waiver. Minivans generally come at a premium, but can be rented from 18-25 y/o. Can you get a statement from your sponsor(s) as a "Corporate Representative"? Sometimes that's all it takes to waive the age requirement. Other agencies may honor the same waiver.

A Mini-Van may be the solution. How many passengers?

Also, one-way rentals are killer expensive. If someone can drive the vehicle back, the extra time will offset the premium.

-R

_
_
Reply  Post New Thread