Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2011, 09:48 PM   #1 (permalink)
Enthusiastic EcoModder

Gnatmobile - '96 Geo Metro LSI
90 day: 44.68 mpg (US)

theRAV - '01 Toyota RAV4 NV
90 day: 21.07 mpg (US)

ACCELICA - '95 Toyota Celica GT Convertible
Last 3: 23.46 mpg (US)

The Van - '05 Chevrolet Uplander LS LWB
90 day: 21.04 mpg (US)
Geo Metropolis build thread

I recently bought this 96 geo metro for $1100 on Craigslist with 100,000 miles. Shortly after buying it I found the ecomodder site. I spent a few days with my mind just blown by the world of ecomodding. I bought some plastic shortly after this and the car is being rapidly and dramatically transformed. Because I've been fairly fast moving on the mods I thought I would start my own thread where I can share my fun and get some advice from others. Hope it's a help to me and others...
First Mods (did one each weekend ) : rear skirts, lower grill block, and smooth wheelcovers:

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 02-01-2011, 09:50 PM   #2 (permalink)
Enthusiastic EcoModder

This week's Mods :)

This weekend was uber productive: I deleted both side-view mirrors, added in car mirrors + a panoramic rearview to compensate, installed an engine kill switch for engine off coasting, and got my scan guage II!!!
I'll list each mod as a separate post with some method descriptions to keep replies organized...
Old 02-01-2011, 09:57 PM   #3 (permalink)
Enthusiastic EcoModder

Side View Mirror delete

The stock mirrors on the 96 metro are giant and do not fold. Not to mention they are the most annoying things to operate ever! The control stick moves the miror up and down when you steer it up and down, but right and left when you steer it left and right. Since most adjustments are compound I found this really annoying (not enough to justify removing them, I am just ranting, I removed them to continue to improve aerodynamics and Cd.
The interior covers pop off, and there are simply 3 phillips screws holding the mirors on from inside the cabin. Once off I used the miror bases as a template and cute plastic triangle covers. At first I removed the foam backing off the mirrors and placed it on the new covers like this:

It turns out the original mirors cover significantly more area than is necessary. The foam allows it to go smoothly over the metal, weatherstripping, and a good inch or so of the window. So I ended up cutting these down to simply cover the bare sheetmetal like this:
Old 02-01-2011, 10:02 PM   #4 (permalink)
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
Geo Metropolis -

Great start! You're modding like a bat out of heck. It looks like you bought green coroplast to match your Metropolis.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society
The Following User Says Thank You to cfg83 For This Useful Post:
Geo Metropolis (02-01-2011)
Old 02-01-2011, 10:08 PM   #5 (permalink)
Enthusiastic EcoModder

Interior Mirror additions

In between removing the mirrors and installing the covers my buddy had to go to the plastic shop with one of his customers. The customer had a truck and so I followed them over to pick up two 4x8's of coreplast (for what I hope is my upcoming belly pan and camback builds ). Driving without mirrors even for just the 2 miles or whatever it is from the marina to the plastics place was scary !!! I was glad I had purchased interior mirrors and I decided to get them installed prior to finishing the outer mirror covers.
I should take pics closeup of these but the overall result is this:

You can see I added a panoramic wideview mirror to the rearview mirror in the center. (These are awesome btw and eliminate both blindspots nearly completely on their own).
I didn't think that would be a helpful solution for talking my way out of tickets so I also added mirors inside. You can see the one on the drivers side which is a small convex mirror mounted to the dash, and the passenger mirror is identical but mounted to the A-pillar. These were like $3 each from harbor freight. They mount with suction cups to windows but in my case I put small screws through the suction cups. The mounting points were chosen for their functionality in providing the right angles. Here is a pic from another angle:

In the end I can see much more than I could with the old mirors and I have a decreased frontal area, without the additional mirror turbulence travelling down the sides of the car. I consider this a big win
Old 02-01-2011, 10:44 PM   #6 (permalink)
Enthusiastic EcoModder

Kill Switch - shift mounted

I pretty much used the awesome how-to that bbjsw10 put up. Things weren't identical because our cars are not the same. Anyway, it's very similar but this could be helpful for any 96 metro owners.
Step 1 -> Bend a small piece of aluminum and install a momentary (normally off) push button switch:

Step 2 -> Solder on two 16 gauge wires (about 6' long each) then fasten the switch bracket to the shifter. I mounted mine this way because I wanted the button on the shifter in such a way that it was easy to press when you wanted to but not easy to press on accident. In this position I can't accidentally hit it whether I am shifting it with a top cane-type grip or a side pistol-grip method, but either way I can simply press the button with my thumb. I cut away some of the rubber outer part and used some stainless wire to secure the bracket like this:

Step 3 -> Run the two wires through the firewall into the engine bay. This can be intimidating if you haven't done it but it's really pretty easy so let me explain it. (If you know how to do this ignore sub-steps A-E)
A: I removed the plastic center console (3 screws on each side along carpet) and the lower dash panel (Three screws along bottom, some clips along the top edge - just pull the top straight back toward the driver)
B: Take a piece of bailing wire, or other stiff-ish wire (like a clothes hanger) and push it through the rubber grommet that feeds wires from the engine to the cabin. The rubber grommet is securing say a 1" bundle of wires in a 2" diameter hole. You're goal is to pierce the grommet somewhere between the wires and the firewall by stabbing it with the bailing wire. You can see the two red wires I used traveling down then disappearing into the grommet in this picture:

C:Run the wires from your interior switch through the shift boot, into the center console, up behind the radio, Through the mess of stuff that lives under the steering wheel, and to the bailing wire that you stuck through the grommet. When you're running these wires take your time to go up and over various things so the wire won't be able to fall down where you can catch it on feet or whatever. Also be sure you don't run it in such a way that it will interfere with moving parts (like the petals or vent controls).
D:Now take the end of the bailing wire (you can pull it through enough to get better access down by the pedals) and using pliers bend the last 1/2" or so around the wires from your switch and back on itself so it is like the eye of a needle. Now take some electrical tape and wrap it around this "needle eye" and an inch or two of the wires you are running.
E: Pull the bailing wire from the engine bay side and it should come back with the wires you're running
Step 4: Wire things (Relay, and fuse jumpers) up just like described in bbjsw10's awesome how-to ->http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...-how-4356.html
The big changes were the location of the fuse. You can see which fuse it was in my fusebox here:

Optional: I decided to replace the fuse with a 15A breaker instead. This way if an event happens that would blow the fuse, I simply push a button to restore the circuit
You can also see the ground wire in that pic (it's one of the wires that runs to the momentary switch)
I used electrical tape to neatly secure it all in the end. I want to buy some giant heat-shrink tube to cover up that tape but it will do for now. Here's how she looks:

Last edited by Geo Metropolis; 02-01-2011 at 11:14 PM..
Old 02-01-2011, 10:46 PM   #7 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Nice job with all the mods. What kind of a MPG increase have you seen?
Old 02-01-2011, 10:53 PM   #8 (permalink)
Enthusiastic EcoModder

Talking Scan Gauge II installed

With my aeromods and what hypermiling I've been able to pickup my best tank has been 44mpg. I know the car has the potential for more and one of the biggest opportunities I have is driving technique. I believe the scan gauge II will be very helpful. You can see it in the interior mirror shot above. I mounted it on top of the steering collumn in front of the instrument panel with the wire running behind the under dash panel to keep things looking nice.
Now I just need to figure out how to work it. Can someone link me to a good beginner scan gauge forum post? I'd imagine someone's compiled a good list of useful ways to use the scan gauge
Old 02-01-2011, 10:57 PM   #9 (permalink)
Enthusiastic EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfg83 View Post
Geo Metropolis -

Great start! You're modding like a bat out of heck. It looks like you bought green coroplast to match your Metropolis.

CarloSW2
Thanks! Haha, it would take a bat a while to get out of heck with only 3 cylinders . Yes I was happy to find green plastic. So far it's all been 1/8" ABS but I did just purchase some 1/4" green coreplast for what I hope will be next week's projects (a full belly pan)
Old 02-01-2011, 11:09 PM   #10 (permalink)
Enthusiastic EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angmaar View Post
Nice job with all the mods. What kind of a MPG increase have you seen?
Thanks! I just got the scan gauge today so I can't really quantify it scientifically (I know much of the forum community questions anything but A-B-A and tuft testing). Here's what I do know: my first tank (I only have one before I started modding) got 38MPG. My last two tanks were 44 and 42. Tank to tank it's pretty much the same driving (To work and back, the same few errands, etc) and I've modded it each weekend. It seems like I've improved 13% or so which sounds great but again isn't scientific. My goal is to get it into the solid 50's - that would be way cool

Reply  Post New Thread