Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2010, 02:19 PM   #31 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
Experiment trumps theory. Get a car with a ScanGauge (so you can see exact temperature, rather than the ballpark estimate of most OEM "gauges"), try driving with and without radiator block, see how long it takes the engine to warm to operating temperature.

As I said above, it works in my Insight, but YMMV.
I did this with my Caravan - I blocked every hole available in the front of the van, and worked my way up the mountain near my house, locked in first gear at nearly redline, under load the whole time (very steep hill). At the top of the hill, I waited for 10 minutes, to allow heat soak because it's only 2 miles up there, parked facing a large enclosed trailer (to defeat wind). The van was previously driven, and only had about an hour cool down time before I took off up the mountain.

After 10 minutes, I checked the temps of my Caravan with my Actron 9190 scan tool... 210*F. I had a 190* T-stat installed. I later did the same run without the blocks installed, and the temps, under the same circumstances, were 206*F.

I don't think I had anything to worry about.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-28-2010, 03:20 PM   #32 (permalink)
...beats walking...

Thanked 1,525 Times in 1,126 Posts
...in military driving school, they teach you that when the engine overheats, to immediately stop and shut the engine off...ie: "...turn OFF the FIRE..." that's the quickest way to cool down an engine, short of flooding everything with a hose and water.

...the quickest way to get an engine to warm up is to (ta,dah!) don't let it cool down, ie: use engine block heater, etc. while it's parked.

...also, using a "100%-closed" grille shutter at first also works, but you need to be very careful that it doesn't "stay" closed and also that it doesn't "stick" in some position.
Old 03-28-2010, 05:38 PM   #33 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Fusion - '16 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christ View Post
If you didn't mean that as an insult, I'm sure I'm not the only one that read it that way...
I didn't at all mean it as an insult. And I apologize if I insulted anyone.
Old 03-28-2010, 08:05 PM   #34 (permalink)
Left Lane Ecodriver

Prius C - '12 Toyota Prius C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Tele man View Post
...in military driving school, they teach you that when the engine overheats, to immediately stop and shut the engine off...ie: "...turn OFF the FIRE..." that's the quickest way to cool down an engine, short of flooding everything with a hose and water.
I've always been taught to run cabin heater at full blast and leave the engine idling so the water pump is still turning. I guess that's the difference between a small three or four cylinder with a big heater core, and a military truck which might burn more fuel at idle than I do at load.
Old 03-28-2010, 09:24 PM   #35 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
The difference is also there when considering that your engine is aluminum, the military engines of old are not.

Aluminum will warp if not cooled under controlled circumstances. You could completely destroy your engine if you were to just shut it down, because it wouldn't cool evenly.

Iron engines aren't like that. You can overheat an iron block, and run it that way for a good long time, and not really suffer any irreparable engine damage.

Old 03-29-2010, 12:55 AM   #36 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Tele man View Post
...the quickest way to get an engine to warm up is to (ta,dah!) don't let it cool down, ie: use engine block heater, etc. while it's parked.
However, if your goal is to use less energy, that's being more than a little counter-productive. Your monthly gas bill goes down a buck, your electric bill goes up two.
Old 03-29-2010, 01:07 AM   #37 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Golden Egg - '93 Toyota Previa DX
90 day: 31.91 mpg (US)

Chewie - '03 Toyota Prius
90 day: 57 mpg (US)

The Spaceship - '00 Honda Insight
Not to nitpick but using a block heater is generally less energy wasteful than not. Of course it depends on how much gas you save vs how many KWH you use and the cost of those KWH.

You can calculate the cost benefit fairly easily. Even if it's more expensive you can feel good that it's reducing emissions.

I'm lucky to have very cheap, clean electricity here in BC so I can blast away with the block heaters.

"It’s easy to explain how rockets work but explaining the aerodynamics of a wing takes a rocket scientist.

Reply  Post New Thread