Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2009, 12:05 PM   #1 (permalink)
Dartmouth 2010

Vegan Powa! - '91 Honda CRX DX
Team Honda
90 day: 66.52 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to SVOboy Send a message via MSN to SVOboy Send a message via Yahoo to SVOboy
Thumbs down Globat: World's Worst Web Registrar

Been fighting with them a while to cancel a domain name they have twice charged me for wrongly and were threatening to do so again. But get this, I cancelled it 9 months ago! I even have the "cancellation ID" to prove it. Of course, that doesn't seem to mean anything to the people I talked to, who made me jump through all these stupid hoops to cancel it and don't seem to care how terrible their company is.

You'd think there would be at least one "sorry for the trouble" when you start charging people for cancelled services, but no...

Anyway, don't use them. Godaddy has been very good to me since switching, but it seems it's impossible to shake off these idiots at Globat...

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 12-27-2009, 08:57 PM   #2 (permalink)
Pishtaco

Mean Green Toaster Machine - '06 Scion xB
Team Toyota
90 day: 48.92 mpg (US)
I had similar issues with a company whose name I can't even remember now. I registered my organization's domain and set up a website. No problem. But then I tried to communicate with them. I never got another response from them. I tried getting support. I tried to switch to another hosting company. Nothing worked. The only good thing is I got another year and a half of free hosting because those turkeys never did anything, including canceling unpaid accounts.

I finally had to register another domain name (same name, but a dot com instead of a dot org) and set up the website with the new name.

Boycotting Exxon since 1989, BP since 2010
Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac? George Carlin
Mean Green Toaster Machine
49.5 mpg avg over 53,000 miles. 176% of '08 EPA
Best flat drive 94.5 mpg for 10.1 mi
Longest tank 1033 km (642 mi) on 10.56 gal = 60.8 mpg
Old 12-28-2009, 04:15 AM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

oldscoob - '87 subaru wagon gl/dr
90 day: 47.06 mpg (US)
the net has no off once it has an on.
I learned it myself a long time ago. If thier is a mass change, like gov't sized colassal, including places like fbi, etc.. there is many authorities least expected to make a big change fast. if left up to like that puny company called "google" and microsoft, damn. It even effects domain names.
I refer to search engines and the wierdness that keeps this for that and nothing todo with anything in the search even if outdated..maybe 2010 and the last of pin grid arrays can sustain the manliness necessary to update the prehistoric internet.

I did the domain register thing just once, and it was a very fast place, never once a let down...cancelling took 30 days, and it disappeared.
it was part of some airplane company with extra bandwidth. I do not even recall how i found it. The net is everywhere in other words. A big name too big has big delays...
Old 12-29-2009, 12:10 AM   #4 (permalink)
Wannabe greenie

The Clunker (retired) - '90 Honda Accord EX sedan
Team Honda
90 day: 29.49 mpg (US)

Mountain Goat - '96 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4 SuperCab
90 day: 18 mpg (US)

Zippy - '10 Kymco Agility 125
90 day: 65.03 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVOboy View Post
Been fighting with them a while to cancel a domain name they have twice charged me for wrongly and were threatening to do so again. But get this, I cancelled it 9 months ago! I even have the "cancellation ID" to prove it. Of course, that doesn't seem to mean anything to the people I talked to, who made me jump through all these stupid hoops to cancel it and don't seem to care how terrible their company is.

You'd think there would be at least one "sorry for the trouble" when you start charging people for cancelled services, but no...

Anyway, don't use them. Godaddy has been very good to me since switching, but it seems it's impossible to shake off these idiots at Globat...
Transfer it to GoDaddy and THEN cancel it in a year when it expires. It will cost you seven bucks, but at least GoDaddy will cancel when you want them to.

Old 12-30-2009, 11:38 AM   #5 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 52.48 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,959 Times in 3,603 Posts
Agreed: Globat is awful.

I've had them charge me several times for things they shouldn't have. They recently also charged me to renew a cancelled domain.

They've always reversed the charge when I contacted them. Which only makes me think it's their basic business model:

"Let's see how many unnecessary charges we can get away with, counting on most people not noticing or making the effort to have them reversed."

I avoid using them any more.
Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
Old 12-30-2009, 12:06 PM   #6 (permalink)
Dartmouth 2010

Vegan Powa! - '91 Honda CRX DX
Team Honda
90 day: 66.52 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to SVOboy Send a message via MSN to SVOboy Send a message via Yahoo to SVOboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clev View Post
Transfer it to GoDaddy and THEN cancel it in a year when it expires. It will cost you seven bucks, but at least GoDaddy will cancel when you want them to.
Globat was trying to charge me for something I had already transferred to godaddy in one case, so even that didn't seem to work.
Old 01-09-2010, 02:30 AM   #7 (permalink)
CAUTION: May Stink!!!

BDC's Honda CiViC HX/Si - '98 Honda CiViC HX/Si (HX Shell/Si Swap)
90 day: 40.56 mpg (US)
Send a message via ICQ to BlackDeuceCoupe Send a message via AIM to BlackDeuceCoupe Send a message via MSN to BlackDeuceCoupe Send a message via Yahoo to BlackDeuceCoupe
Thanks for the warning!

If it was me, I'd go to Globat and enter bogus credit card numbers into my account (or whatever form of payment you use).

I've used several registrars, over the years. LoL! In the last century... before the web was popular... registration was free. Then, the fees went up n' up, until eventually I was paying $75 for 2 years. Then came Dotster, thank God!

I've stuck with Dotster for my production site, and I've never had a problem with them... and I've been using them practically since the day they opened their 'doors' for business.

For domain names that I really don't care about, I use 1&1. Never had any problem with them either... however, I read horror stories about their customer support (or lack thereof). Thankfully, I've never had to contact a human at 1&1... I've done eveything through their control panel... which is rather spartan and featureless.

Having said that, I recently got my own server, and I need to get a SSL cert. I've been thinking about going with GoDaddy.

Amybody (here) had any experience with GoDaddy certs??? If so, are they any good???

Or should I go with Globat? Bwahahahahaha!

Reply  Post New Thread