Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2012, 08:53 PM   #1 (permalink)
Green Turd

Green turd - '93 Toyota Tercel
90 day: 36.89 mpg (US)
Angry I'm discouraged

I'm discouraged. I have done a lot of mods to my car without much increase in mpg. Only an increase of 2 mpg. What am I missing? My car is a 93 tercel and here is a list of mods;
New o2 sensor
Warm air intake
Full grill block
Pizza pans
Lightened 200lbs
Tune up
Headlight covers
Kill switch
Vacume guage
Wheels at 50lbs
Side mirror delete
No ac or power steering
Cat detete
Please somebody help

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-26-2012, 09:14 PM   #2 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Grasshopper - '11 Ford Fiesta SES
Team Ford
90 day: 50.37 mpg (US)

Feejer - '09 Yamaha FJR1300 AE
Motorcycle
90 day: 42.73 mpg (US)
Have you adjusted the nut behind the wheel? That is where the greatest gains can be found.

I have to question the Cat delete. I believe that part of the ECO in ecomodder is reducing pollution, both through reducing fuel use and emissions.
Old 03-26-2012, 09:25 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Black Knight - '94 Toyota Corolla
Team Toyota
90 day: 58.53 mpg (US)
automatic or manual?
Old 03-26-2012, 09:41 PM   #4 (permalink)
mikehallbackhoe

honda crx - '84 honda crx 1300
90 day: 55.83 mpg (US)
I agree with FXSTI on both counts,1. removing your cat might make your sensors read lean, and your computor will richen your fuel ratio, killing your mpg. 2. you haven't mentioned any changes in driving habits, which is where your biggest gains will be. I would recommend replacing your cat, and then read up on some of the hypermiling tips found on the home page. don't give up though, 2 mpg is better than nothing.
Old 03-26-2012, 10:03 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

ND Miata - '15 Mazda MX-5 Special Package
90 day: 42.54 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,501 Times in 1,547 Posts
I've found I can improve my mileage as much as 33% with engine-on-coast pulse and glide, and awareness of light timing.
Old 03-26-2012, 10:30 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

it gets tough after 35 mpg for any car.

are you driving city or highway? average mph?
Old 03-27-2012, 01:00 PM   #7 (permalink)
only pawn in game of life

2nd saturn - '02 saturn sl2
90 day: 38.79 mpg (US)

the best $100 ever spent - '94 saturn sl1

mean flat green machine - '09 triumph scrambler steve mcqueen inspired paint
90 day: 45.76 mpg (US)
no ammount of mods can help if you dont adjust the loose nut behind the wheel like these guys said.. if you do mostly city driving then i would say your not doing too bad.

when it comes to your cat delete, there is no 2nd o2 sensor on a 93 so that shouldnt cause a problem but the lack of back pressure might be hurting you a little bit.

if you are or have adjusted the loose nut already then i would look more into possible sensor issues that may not be setting off your check engine light but may be hurting your economy. on that pre-obd2 system you could have an air temp sensor off causing it to richen the fuel mix by giving the comp a faulse reading..but dont go throwing parts at it untill you are sure, the best way is to get a scan tool or find someone who has one to plug in and read the data stream and check things like temp sensors to actual temp and if one is reading way off then i would say its a safe bet then to throw 10 or 20 bucks into it. also i had a 88 tercel and mine had bad rings and burned a lot of oil so make sure you have good compression and that kind of thing...

good luck and dont give up. keep workin on driving habbits and keep puttering with the mechanical stuff untill you get it right
Old 03-27-2012, 01:23 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Boo Radley - '65 Ford F100
90 day: 13.28 mpg (US)
First of all, the difference between your first and third (last) tanks is 5.46mpg, not 2. Even if it's only 2 above EPA, you're improving. Second, you only have three tanks with very different FE numbers so no one knows what it'll top out at. Maybe your next tank will follow the trend and be better!

What driving techniques do you use, and how often? How fast do you drive on the freeway?
Old 03-27-2012, 01:47 PM   #9 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

AlienMobile - '00 Honda Insight
Team Honda
90 day: 80.05 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpencersGreenTurd View Post
I'm discouraged. I have done a lot of mods to my car without much increase in mpg. Only an increase of 2 mpg. What am I missing? My car is a 93 tercel and here is a list of mods;
Warm air intake
Please somebody help
Hi,

Just applying the warm air intake will not necessarily improve your mileage.

For example, if you typically drive on the freeway/highway, then you need more power from the motor, and getting this means higher density air.

If on the other hand, you puttz along on the backroads, then the thinner air will yield higher gas mileage, but only if your going let's say less than 40 mph or so.

Jim.
Old 03-27-2012, 02:18 PM   #10 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

My slightly ecomodded car averages 37.5mpg in another driver's hands (slightly above factory rating of 37mpg). When I drive it, I get 47.7 mpg (at least the last tank I had on it was that.)

I think Ecomods more or less compliment the hypermiler. It's like installing a super-charger. Technically, the supercharger will increase MPG under the hyper-miler's gentle touch, but will kill MPG with a heavy foot.

Aerodynamics and lighter weight allow you to accelerate faster, so maybe you were adjusting to these changes more like a racer would, than a hypermiler?

Ps. Also, yeah, any tweaking to the exhaust (like removing the cat) is kind of funky. Street-racers and wannabes always target the exhaust and I think some of them simply slap on a wider opening muffler without much regard to back pressure and such.

The only exhaust mod I'd feel comfortable with is extending the muffler slightly out and tilting it for streamlining purposes, and replacing the muffler with an exact replica made of lighter materials (like aluminum or oven-cured Carbon Fiber).

Last edited by Kincurd; 03-27-2012 at 02:25 PM..
Reply  Post New Thread